Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with proposing a 12" gun from an unfinished Alaska class, but the gun weighed about the same as an M6, so it wasn't practical [1].

Note [1]. It has to be said that a 6" naval gun might also have some minor issues.
OK, then let's go with 14" that ought to take care of the issue... ;)

The 5 inch 38 cal would have been a very potent gun for an AFV and the 5 inch 54 cal was in development. It too would have literally dismantled any tank in the world. The 5 inch mk 38 was a beast with the special Common shell punching through 5 inches of armour at 4,000 yards. This was with a 55lb shell that has a 2 lb bursting charge. Looking at the comparable guns the Pak 44 had a much larger chamber and fired a 28kg shell at 950 m/s . The 5 inch 54 should be possible of the same performance by reducing the mass of the shell. For example using the smaller Mk 38 shell instead. this gives a 15 lb lighter shell and the muzzle velocity would go up. The Soviet 130mm was supposedly developed from the Naval gun and they had an 870m/s from the Naval gun using more propellant and a heavier shell.

The problems begin when you look at the weight of the gun itself. The Gun weighs 2.4 ton without the Breech or recoil system. So add another 2 ton to be safe. The Ammunition is massive and separately loaded. Mounting in a turret would be impossible on a reasonable tank weight. However a Sherman Jumbo modified into an open topped r covered casemate tank destroyer would be deadly. If no tanks to kill the Artillery plot is easy to follow. If a bunker is holding up the advance you get within 4,000 yards and kill it. I proposed this in an extremely old design a tank competition for wargaming and got nowhere lol. BTW at 4,000 yards the shell itself is coming in off the horizontal, I would expect Panthers and Tiger 1 to be defeated at 4,000 yards plus and the Pz IV out to 6,000 yards or so. The Jagdpanther is another 4,000 yard dead while the Tiger II may get to 2,000 yards before being killed.

The M12 shows possibilities with Engine moved and gun working casemate on the rear hull. Kind of like an Elephant. Ammunition would be limited with probably 30 rounds maximum but it would be a gamechanger.
This sounds like it could actually work [1] provided it was used as a mobile AT gun to provide overwatch rather than as a makeshift tank. A bit of long-range bunker busting would also work.
The limited ammo capacity should help keep it out of tank-like roles, and an accompanying ammo carrier would make sense.
Note 1. I'm almost completely certain my previous proposals would either not have worked at all or would have been very impractical.

I have a question maybe it was asked before here but how do you guys think armoured fighting vehicles would develop without world war 1 ?
Great fan of the threat !!

The first armored cars were built and used operationally before WWI, so their continued use & development was assured. They might be seen as a replacement for cavalry. As for tanks, there were theories and novels involving armed tracked vehicles before WWI, so I think someone, probably an european power (the UK being more interested in naval power and the US not being interested in large military equipment) would start experimenting with something. No trenches means that some points of the basic design would probably be changed: one of the reasons for the Mark 1's lenght was the need to cross trenches of X width. So, maybe something closer to the french FT17 on a larger scale: a way to more around a 75mm, with 2-4 MGs to back it up.

For Big guns to kill tanks (whether mounted on tanks or not) the British have two contenders, one is the 3.7"mobile AA gun the second is you really need more oomph is the QF Mark II 4.5" AA gun and if you want to go 'all in' then you modify it to this (from Wikki),
'Colonel Probert of the Armaments Research Department developed rifling with tapered groove depth, and with the last few inches of the barrel being smoothbore. This was used with a 4.5 barrel lined down to 3.7 inches, but retaining the large chamber, allowing a large propelling charge to be employed. Ordnance, QF 3.7 inch Mk 6, only on a static mounting, entered service in 1943'
Now give this beast an effective APDS round and count how many Tigers a single shot will pas through.

The first armored cars were built and used operationally before WWI, so their continued use & development was assured. They might be seen as a replacement for cavalry. As for tanks, there were theories and novels involving armed tracked vehicles before WWI, so I think someone, probably an european power (the UK being more interested in naval power and the US not being interested in large military equipment) would start experimenting with something. No trenches means that some points of the basic design would probably be changed: one of the reasons for the Mark 1's lenght was the need to cross trenches of X width. So, maybe something closer to the french FT17 on a larger scale: a way to more around a 75mm, with 2-4 MGs to back it up.
No sponson MGs to shoot people when crossing trenches either.

although i do think that the main development at first would be with armoured cars, simply because they can piggyback on developments of cars & lorries

although i do think that the main development at first would be with armoured cars, simply because they can piggyback on developments of cars & lorries
Yes, lightly armoured cars and personnel carriers, with some portee- mounted artillery. Maybe half-tracks. Tanks proper will only come when a major conflict drives the gun/armour race.

Driftless

Donor
Yes, lightly armoured cars and personnel carriers, with some portee- mounted artillery. Maybe half-tracks. Tanks proper will only come when a major conflict drives the gun/armour race.

Adolphe Kegresse was making a few pre-war half-tracks for the Tsar, mostly for winter use. That still puts the half-track in frequent use by key decision makers, so yes. Plus, they were appearing in commercial use in the US - Lombard Steam Tractor and as "shade tree mechanic" builds of Ford Model T's - but I'm not sure where or when the idea for them came up.

One of the prewar armored cars that most interests me was the Schneider Brille- built by Schneider in France for Spain and originally designed as an armored troop carrying vehicle, although the limits of the cooling technology of the day and the Spanish main theater of operations being the Moroccan desert means it was never used as such.

I would expect continuing development of armored vehicles without WW1 to focus initially on a vehicle designed to mount an artillery piece and operate largely like the artillery of the day; and a vehicle intended as an APC designed to transport troops to the front lines- probably with plenty of rifle ports. These concepts would be intuitive to military planners of the time and fit neatly into preexisting military hierarchies in a way that designing a tank as a breakthrough vehicle (or an MG carrier) did not- an artillery piece can go to the Royal Artillery, an APC to the infantry, and a scout car to the cavalry. Tanks on the other hand were awkward things that in country after country kept ending up in their own formations- not at all what a prewar military leader would want.

Adolphe Kegresse was making a few pre-war half-tracks for the Tsar, mostly for winter use. That still puts the half-track in frequent use by key decision makers, so yes. Plus, they were appearing in commercial use in the US - Lombard Steam Tractor and as "shade tree mechanic" builds of Ford Model T's - but I'm not sure where or when the idea for them came up.
the T-ford halftrack conversion kit was already available pre-ww1

1925_Ford_Snow_Flyer.jpg

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
The US Rock Island Arsenal created the M1921 Medium Tank, following WW1. It suffered from two negatives: not enough engine power and post-war budget cuts.

So, the US armor soldiered on into the next decade and and a half with a sparse quantity of retread M1917 Renault Light Tank copies, some Christie experiments, before eventually alighting on the path that lead to the M3 and M4 of WW2

What might have appeared IF the M1921 designs were approved and allowed to work the bugs out and move on to a real second generation follow-on?

Photo from Warspot.net
t1medium05-c779491b634fe839edcf75622d38752f-b59606116689325fe6bcbab77ab1f09f.jpg

The US Rock Island Arsenal created the M1921 Medium Tank, following WW1. It suffered from two negatives: not enough engine power and post-war budget cuts.

So, the US armor soldiered on into the next decade and and a half with a sparse quantity of retread M1917 Renault Light Tank copies, some Christie experiments, before eventually alighting on the path that lead to the M3 and M4 of WW2

What might have appeared IF the M1921 designs were approved and allowed to work the bugs out and move on to a real second generation follow-on?

Photo from Warspot.net
t1medium05-c779491b634fe839edcf75622d38752f-b59606116689325fe6bcbab77ab1f09f.jpg
That looks like it would be a very workable and modern design. Pity it was not kept on. It would certainly help cure the "stick to cavalry" that seemed to fill much of the US army.

Garrison

Donor
So I've idly created a vehicle that might used in the asteroid winter scenario where trucks and half tracks are no longer practical. its a Pz III based APC with a Pz I turret for defence, its very much an improvisation for deep winter operations:

PZ3-Ragnarok APC.jpg

Garrison

Donor
Nice work, but why shorten the PzIII? Won't carry many like this...
The front of the hull is where it would be on the original and frankly I am not thinking it would carry many people, this is very definitely an early response to the asteroid winter, I am sure better vehicles will follow such as the ones @cortz#9 designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.