Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the face? :V
That was on the original pic that I took the quad mount from, it was a US army truck circa the Vietnam war. Just something the crew drew on, I probably should've erased it but I probably (I don't remember now) liked it and that's why I left it on.

Claymore I got another one for you

Can you take an M41 Bulldog and remove the turret and replace it with a custom design missile turret firing four SS.10 ATGMs?

Here you go. It looks a bit whacky but seems to fit the bill...

M41 with SS10.png

wouldn't that be massive overkill, considering they only weigh 15kg.
I would think something like a amx+SS11 solution would be more practical (retain turret).

I think more likely to be mounted on top of an APC.
in 502 a M59 + SS10, later the M113 or M114, or like the ontos, now with ss10s instead of RCL's
even jeep mounting would be possible like the french did with the ss10
post-78-1204663617.jpg

http://www.m201.com/versions.htm

Last edited:
wouldn't that be massive overkill, considering they only weigh 15kg.
I would think something like a amx+SS11 solution would be more practical (retain turret).

I think more likely to be mounted on top of an APC.
in 502 a M59 + SS10, later the M113 or M114, or like the ontos, now with ss10s instead of RCL's
even jeep mounting would be possible like the french did with the ss10
http://www.m201.com/versions.htm

You are probably very right but this is what Jim was after and, in this case, I have produced what he wanted.

If I can be arsed, I may go back and produce a AMX+SS.11 version of the M41. :p

I would put a armored shield on the 'fifty and just have dual launchers. That's just me.

OR put Ontos' 106mm RR's on the sides of the turret PLUS dual launchers, a shielded minigun on the cupola and a brace of Redeye launchers facing rear of the turret...(ahem)...I'll be over there, taking my meds...

Ok I got another riddle.

Could you mount the M51 Skysweeper on a heavy tank chassis? Say something like the WZ-111?

Sure, you could do that. I question why though, given the Skysweeper is only a 75mm cannon and a heavy tank chassis is liable to be able to handle much more than that. On top of that, most heavy tanks are slower, and thus make easier targets, so only having a single 75mm cannon doesn't make sense. There's a reason why both the East and West went with multiple smaller AA cannons, as it's more about the amount of lead you can get in the air than precision shooting. Plus missiles are more effective anyway.

Sure, you could do that. I question why though, given the Skysweeper is only a 75mm cannon and a heavy tank chassis is liable to be able to handle much more than that. On top of that, most heavy tanks are slower, and thus make easier targets, so only having a single 75mm cannon doesn't make sense. There's a reason why both the East and West went with multiple smaller AA cannons, as it's more about the amount of lead you can get in the air than precision shooting. Plus missiles are more effective anyway.

Ok what is the smallest chassis you could fit the Skysweeper system on? I want something more mobile than what the Skysweeper is. A medium or light could handle it? This is when early SAMs suck and radar gun laying is still better.

Ok what is the smallest chassis you could fit the Skysweeper system on? I want something more mobile than what the Skysweeper is. A medium or light could handle it? This is when early SAMs suck and radar gun laying is still better.

You could probably mount it on a truck to be honest, although that might require the truck stop in order to use the Skysweeper. As for tanks, an M47 chassis would work fine, as would the Centurion (just mind the Centurion's 35km/h top speed with the 650hp Meteor engine), and if it's the East we're talking about, the T-54 would also work. All three have very close turret rings to, IIRC, 74, 73, and 72 inches, so you could probably make the system turreted and able to be mounted on whatever is available.

EDIT: While it's new compared to what you're looking for, such a vehicle would look quite a bit like the Italian Otomatic.

You could probably mount it on a truck to be honest, although that might require the truck stop in order to use the Skysweeper. As for tanks, an M47 chassis would work fine, as would the Centurion (just mind the Centurion's 35km/h top speed with the 650hp Meteor engine), and if it's the East we're talking about, the T-54 would also work. All three have very close turret rings to, IIRC, 74, 73, and 72 inches, so you could probably make the system turreted and able to be mounted on whatever is available.

EDIT: While it's new compared to what you're looking for, such a vehicle would look quite a bit like the Italian Otomatic.
Well the nation in mind is fielding something along the lines of the Object 140 at the time I was thinking this would be fielded. Would that work because I'm designing multi-militaries at the moment for an ASB TL.

Well the nation in mind is fielding something along the lines of the Object 140 at the time I was thinking this would be fielded. Would that work because I'm designing multi-militaries at the moment for an ASB TL.

Yeah, that should work fine. After all, the ZSU-57-2 was a lighter T-54/55 chassis, IIRC. This way it can keep up with the rest of the armor.

Ok Assume you are in the US via 1939 and are asked to help with tank designs. You have information and photos from the future but have to follow KISS rules. The US Army has tasked you with coming up with a M4 Sherman like tank but better. How would you go about doing it. I figure a good HEAT round for the 75mm cannon. Plus some late war lessons like a wet ammo box. But what else could be done but still make them in the tens of thousands?

Status
Not open for further replies.