Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the Pantheon of Presidents, anyone else think it'd be funny if Alexander Hamilton gets confused with Lin-Manuel Miranda?

Speaking of, I believe we've agreed that TR and FDR get conflated, and ditto Bush I and Bush II; would we say the same happens to John Adams and John Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison, and Andrew Johnson and LBJ? How about Tyler and Taylor?
This may be conflating Presidents a bit too much, but I think it'd be very interesting if Andrew Johnson and LBJ get conflated.

Last edited:
The idea of Nixon as a Trickster deity is hilarious to me

Nixon, the Trickster, God of Negotiation, Diplomacy and Second Chances, always depicted next to his powerful familiar/daemon, the Kiss-Singer. Nixon was the only god that could go into the forbidden realm, China. The Nixon priests begin worship with the words "I am not a crook", to which the faithful answer "I'm with Nixon!", and the priest reply "I'm with Nixon too!"

Lutfur_Rahman.png

Not that BNP....

>Sees BNP
> :O
>Oh wait it's that BNP
>Makes too much sense

Back to the Pantheon of Presidents, anyone else think it'd be funny if Alexander Hamilton gets confused with Lin-Manuel Miranda?

Speaking of, I believe we've agreed that TR and FDR get conflated, and ditto Bush I and Bush II; would we say the same happens to John Adams and John Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison, and Andrew Johnson and LBJ? How about Tyler and Taylor?
On this same subject, I wonder if the three Confederate leaders on Stone Mountain in Georgia (Lee, Davis, Jackson) would be assumed to be gods as well due to the giant monument to them?

"And then, the great cold followed! Glaciers from the Furthest Poles extended their reach. Thousands of peoples migrated. Thousands of peoples suffered. The sky was covered in hellfire, and then - smog, smoke, poison... The sun then shined over a degraded land"
~ Excerpt from a manuscript written by one Nikodim Akakyevich Pikhto, describing the Great Event.

1pJ3Dce.png

Even as the crisis of the Great Event and the Ice Age that began with it destroyed Berdimuhamedow's regime, and the governments of Turkmenistan kept changing with the fall of one president/military junta/sultan/shah/general secretary/guy with biggest gun and the rise of another, the life of the average Turkmen didn't change as they continued to worship the Shining Turkmenbashi, the patron god and founder of the great Turkmen nation who keeps eternally incarnating from one mortal body to another, all while destroying "False Rulers" that proclaim themselves to be him. That, however, changed with the rise of one Serymguly Ogilev (1100 - 1149 AE). Born a simple peasant in Dasoguz, a Turkmen border city constantly under attack by Uzbek raiders, Serymguly was an orphan and hasn't seen his father since his birth. He was, however, alleged to be the son of famous colonel and national hero Ruslan Ogilev. Initially disinterested, Ruslan Ogilev, however, was fascinated by the boy and took him in as his own son, educating him in tactical and political matters and providing him a massive library for him to study. One day, in the year of 1124 AD, riding on the common people's discontent with the current order and love for him, Serymguly Ogilev took the throne of President from Saparmurat Akhmedov and proclaimed himself Serym-Khan.

A man of truly Napoleonic ambitions, Serymguly dreamed of building a truly great Turkmenistan, whose Renaissance would make foreigners worship them, as the "Shining Turkmenbashi" has initially promised in his Holy Book of the Turkmen Soul, the Ruhnama. After successfully reforming the army, Serymguly looked across the borders of the Turkmen nation. And thus began Serym-Khan's War of conquest, when Turkmen soldiers swept across the corrupt "Republic" of Ozbekiston and conquered it. Next was the so-called People's Republic of Kazakhstan, a de facto meritocratic kingdom modeling itself off the Soviet Union and controlling only the southwestern regions of Kazakhstan. The General Secretary of the People's Republic, Amir Alibiev, would become its last. Then, Serym-Khan went south upon the Islamic Republic of Iran. A rotting, corrupt, decentralized entity, governed by High General Sadegh Gharibian and Supreme Leader Ali Khatami (ironically, a woman), the Republic was quickly abandoned by its eastern inhabitants, who instead supported Serym-Khan. Although Sadegh was a brave and competent general, he was unable to defeat Serymguly Ogilev, and Tehran, too, fell to the Khan. Next were the petty Pakistani states and the Sultanate of the Tajiks, governed by Rafshan, descendant of a long line of guest workers to Russia.

Then, Serym-Khan looked west. He greedily eyed the draconian, suffering Al-Baghdadi dynasty and the soft, corrupt Erdogan dynasty. After consuming the Kurdish state (though not without guerrilla wars and self-immolations), his army marched all the way to the divided, largely confederate Union of Filistina. Serym-Khan's army, glorious and powerful, went as far as to the borders of Wallachia. The traders of Europe, living high-tech, leisured (for the time) lives in their coastal citadels, were terrified by the powerful Turkmen Empire.

However, Serym-Khan did not live for long. While he shook the known world and left a vast legacy, he died only a year after the end of the war. While the Renaissance he brought to Turkmenistan did, indeed, make the world gasp in awe, his vision of a great Turkmenistan fell apart when his various generals and mercenaries divided Serymguly's Empire between themselves.

The Labrador Retriever was a breed of domestic dog that existed between 1880 and 1910. It was a branch of the St. John's Water Dog and closely resembled it, with the major differences being its slightly smaller and slimmer stature, and its solid-colour coat.

The Labrador was developed through a collaboration between the 3rd Earl of Malmesbury, the 6th Duke of Buccleuch and the 12th Earl of Home. All three families had long been advocates of the St. John's Water Dog, and were dismayed by the breed's near disappearance in England. To continue the breed, the three pooled their kennels together, hoping not just to preserve the lineage but to emphasise the useful traits in order to better promote the dog's usefulness.

Advertising their dogs as the Labrador Retriever (as its progenitors retrieved in the Labrador Sea), it attracted lots of attention for its superb qualities as a retriever. However, it did not quite have the intended effect; newly won-over advocates preferred to bolster their packs not with other Labradors, but to import St. John's Dogs from Newfoundland instead, both for their perceived purity and their greater adeptness in water (which has been de-emphasised in Labradors). As interest dwindled in favour of its forebearers, Buccleuch, Malmesbury and Home ended their programmes, and the Labrador eventually merged back into the St. John's Water Dog lineage.

Although short-lived, the Labrador had a major impact in the dog world by rejuvenating interest in the St. John's dog, which has remained wildly popular ever since.

___

The St. John's Water Dog, or simply St. John's, is landrace breed of domestic dog that is a water dog-retriever type. The St. John's is incredibly popular and is widely considered the most popular breed in the world. …

AAXT3Uq.png

UML5xos.png

See also: Salish dog, Tahltan Bear Dog

Yo dawg, I heard you like electoral colleges, so I put an electoral college in your electoral college so you can ignore the popular vote while you ignore the popular vote

I like this. Here's another:

Florida.png

(Miami-Dade's population entitles it to 21-point-something electors, but is reduced to 18 through giving every county at least one vote)

I read somewhere that if the Maine-Nebraska method had been used across the 50 states, Romney wins 2012. I wonder if he would have won by this method too?

I read somewhere that if the Maine-Nebraska method had been used across the 50 states, Romney wins 2012. I wonder if he would have won by this method too?

I don't doubt it for a minute that Romney would have won under this method. As I mentioned, under this system, Romney would have won Minnesota (despite losing the popular vote by 7.7%) and just looking quickly at county maps, Nevada, Ohio & Pennsylvania all look like they would be won by Romney under this method.

Asami

Banned
That timeline has five terms of Teddy?

Nope. The Point of Divergence is basically 1912 with the death of Emperor Meiji. 1912 saw the election of President Woodrow Wilson. He lost in 1916 to William Borah, an ardent isolationist. Borah was primary'd out in 1920 by Theodore Roosevelt whom represents a faction opposed to isolationism.

I don't doubt it for a minute that Romney would have won under this method. As I mentioned, under this system, Romney would have won Minnesota (despite losing the popular vote by 7.7%) and just looking quickly at county maps, Nevada, Ohio & Pennsylvania all look like they would be won by Romney under this method.

Not Nevada. Clark County has about 2/3 of the state's population and it went for Obama. Even with a mere 63-member state EC, Clark decides it. OH and PA, perhaps, but too sleepy now to check.

So, I checked out the results of the Literary Digest poll in 1936 and made a wikibox out of that. To calculate the popular vote, I set the percentages by ignoring the "other" category which existed for some reason (which was skewed in favour of FDR) and splitting the existing vote total of the election into these percentages.

And wow, it's laughably wrong in ways more than the obvious. Apparently, according to it, FDR was to win Maine in a landslide (68.19% to 31.81%), even though it was one of the only states to go to Landon and was well-known as a very red state! How no one caught that and figured that the poll was bullshit, I don't know.

landon1936.png

Thanks, Archangel!

In my mind the Slavic languages would be divided into three subgroups. West Slavic (Britanian and various Britanian dialects), Central Slavic (Polish and the southward linguistic continuum of small and largely mutually intelligible nationally-defined "languages", unbroken by Magyars ITTL), and East Slavic (Russian and the Ruthenian dialects).

I'll go into more detail if I decide to make other boxes from this universe.

(How's that for an answer I just pulled out of my ass)

As a fan of Migration Era PoDs, I really like this. Great work!

The Labrador Retriever was a breed of domestic dog that existed between 1880 and 1910. It was a branch of the St. John's Water Dog and closely resembled it, with the major differences being its slightly smaller and slimmer stature, and its solid-colour coat.

The Labrador was developed through a collaboration between the 3rd Earl of Malmesbury, the 6th Duke of Buccleuch and the 12th Earl of Home. All three families had long been advocates of the St. John's Water Dog, and were dismayed by the breed's near disappearance in England. To continue the breed, the three pooled their kennels together, hoping not just to preserve the lineage but to emphasise the useful traits in order to better promote the dog's usefulness.

Advertising their dogs as the Labrador Retriever (as its progenitors retrieved in the Labrador Sea), it attracted lots of attention for its superb qualities as a retriever. However, it did not quite have the intended effect; newly won-over advocates preferred to bolster their packs not with other Labradors, but to import St. John's Dogs from Newfoundland instead, both for their perceived purity and their greater adeptness in water (which has been de-emphasised in Labradors). As interest dwindled in favour of its forebearers, Buccleuch, Malmesbury and Home ended their programmes, and the Labrador eventually merged back into the St. John's Water Dog lineage.

Although short-lived, the Labrador had a major impact in the dog world by rejuvenating interest in the St. John's dog, which has remained wildly popular ever since.

___

The St. John's Water Dog, or simply St. John's, is landrace breed of domestic dog that is a water dog-retriever type. The St. John's is incredibly popular and is widely considered the most popular breed in the world. …

AAXT3Uq.png

UML5xos.png

See also: Salish dog, Tahltan Bear Dog

mT5VwU8.png

With waves of criticism attacking many kennel clubs over concerts of heavy inbreeding, the common 'stocky pug' was gradually discarded in favor of the modern 'lean pug', a long-legged breed closer to its classic roots and much more similar to their "relatives", the Molossers.

The bull terrier and the Rhodesian ridgeback did not survive, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.