Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Hampshire gubernatorial election, 2134 (Earth)

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! We're all out of ideas, so sue us."
-New Hampshire Democratic Party press release, May 23, 2134

BRADLEY DEFEATS BRADLEY, REELECTED TO TWELFTH TERM AS GOVERNOR
-Manchester Union Leader headline, November 3, 2134

JqKCyE8.png

Last edited:

Astrodyne has gone too far!

But what if Bradley had defeated Bradley?

The 2014 South Carolina Gubernatorial Election was one of the most competitive in state history. Claude Spalding has been Governor since the 2006 election, where he, still in the House of Representatives at the time, competed against State Senator Jeremiah Black in the Liberal primary and Jackson Kershaw in the general. He ran unopposed in 2010, but in 2014, noted academic and philanthropist Georgia Cobb mounted a campaign against him.

Spalding's campaign focused on his record, dating all the way back to the beginning of his career. He grew up in a poor family in the backwoods of the state, and was the first of his family to attend university- the University of the United States (New Orleans), where he graduated with honors in English. He spent years in state politics, eventually getting elected as a US Representative, and then Governor. His record in the House and as governor was typical of the Deep Southern Liberals- a focus on business growth and infrastructure spending, but tempered by a protectionist streak. He pointed particularly to the success of the recently-formed South Carolina Development Bank and the decline in statewide unemployment between 2007 and 2014 to below the full employment threshold targets.

Cobb's campaign focused more on issues, where she believed the Democratic pro-welfare, pro-labor stance would play well amongst the industrial towns. This, coupled with her personable nature and her dedication to charity work, proved a solid formula, and she recieved some of the best poll numbers for a Democratic gubernatorial candidate in decades. However, she did seem to misstep with her promise to focus on expanding access to mental health care, and while her proposal to disestablish the state's monopoly on education and open up to private schools was well-recieved by the well-off and the religious, she was quickly painted as a typical Southern Democrat, a label that almost certainly cost her a significant chunk of the voters who may otherwise have been willing to swing her way.

HQYS9O6.png

Other wikiboxes include:
TAP files and TapDance players (shared)
Alice Roberts, Mammon, and Asmodeus (shared)
University of the United States
Fireman's Cola
GPLUT
Major comic book producers
Mayor John Marshal 'Big Mike' Davenport
InTouch
Oregonian Space Agency

Competitive indeed⸮
Top, like, five or so, you know? :p

When 3/4 of the races are effectively or literally uncontested, a Democrat- especially one like Cobb, with actual statewide crossover appeal- cracking double digits in an outlier poll would put the election in the 'more competitive' pile- and I didn't say how high she was polling; it may well have been the case that before the education and mental health gaffes, she reached 15, even 18% in the polls!
How are race relations in SC?
...Different. There will be another wikibox very soon (probably late tomorrow) which will allow me to explain more, so I don't want to go and write a thousand-word piece on the subject until that's up and I can paint the contrast properly without needing to repeat everything. That said-

Black-white relations in South Carolina are better than the American average ITTL, but the American average is worse than OTL, and since everything is under the constant flux of authorial development I honestly can't tell you right now what precisely that means in OTL terms, and I hope I'll be able to work on it and tell you more soon. For what it's worth, the Liberals in South Carolina (and a few other states) are perhaps best analogized to the Hawaii Democrats- there's a rather deep division in vision between the white and nonwhite portions of the Liberal electorate, but they're still close enough to generally agree with one another that no matter how annoying the other side's guy may be, at least he's not a Democrat.

Pisces

Banned
Not a traditional segregationist setting, then, which is what I was assuming with that kind of consistent electoral victory. That's very interesting and I hope to see more of this series. :)

Zioneer

Banned

I would have thought the Utah Democratic Party would have done that before New Hampshire. Still funny. :p

THE DARK AGES

THE LAND WAS DIVIDED AND WITHOUT A KING

OUT OF THESE LOST CENTURIES ROSE A LEGEND

(Woah, déjà vu...)​

fHiAHuh.png

The shiny new wikiboxes from my recently-concluded TLIAW, Arturius Aurelianus, listing all Britannic Emperors, proud usurpers, and battle-leaders from Magnus Maximus through Vortigern and Arthur to Aurelius Conan. If anyone asks me what my headcanon for King Arthur is, it'd be shame if I didn't quote this. :p

It's not an infobox, but it's still future Wikipedia content from an ATL where something went horribly wrong (or horribly right, according to more than a few late 21st century historians) a couple of years ago. Inspired by a few playthroughs of Plague Inc. and a comment Kevin Renner made in another thread on this website. :D

R4uEAHQ.jpg

THE DARK AGES

THE LAND WAS DIVIDED AND WITHOUT A KING

OUT OF THESE LOST CENTURIES ROSE A LEGEND

(Woah, déjà vu...)​

The shiny new wikiboxes from my recently-concluded TLIAW, Arturius Aurelianus, listing all Britannic Emperors, proud usurpers, and battle-leaders from Magnus Maximus through Vortigern and Arthur to Aurelius Conan. If anyone asks me what my headcanon for King Arthur is, it'd be shame if I didn't quote this. :p
Sorry, I seem to have suffered from a bad case of End-Of-Page syndrome, so shamelessly bumping the tables (click the link) to the top of this one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.