Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Microsoft Windows was a short-lived venture by the Microsoft Corporation in the mid-1980s to compete with the Apple Macintosh; however, plagued with problems stemming from the fact it was a very basic top-end for MS-DOS, it soon found itself outpaced. In 1987, after releasing an abortive "Windows 2.0", Microsoft abandoned the project in favor of a joint project with IBM -- the 286/386-compatible Operating System/2. After IBM withdrew from the project in 1989, Microsoft has rode through the 90s with the OS/2 operating system. In 2012, Microsoft released the source code to the original Windows operating systems, telling the public that they could "do what they wanted with it". Many vintage DOS fans, who felt betrayed when MS moved to the OS/2 platform and neglected DOS in the early 90s, have flocked to create their own "Windows 3".
Very clever. I remember the brief moment when OS/2 Warp was considered a viable alternative in OTL.

I can't be the only person who finds it strange that the old Windows 2.0 looks suspiciously like the Windows 8 one.

edit: I also missed that you had taken up my RISC OS challenge, great job!

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
Very clever. I remember the brief moment when OS/2 Warp was considered a viable alternative in OTL.

I can't be the only person who finds it strange that the old Windows 2.0 looks suspiciously like the Windows 8 one.

edit: I also missed that you had taken up my RISC OS challenge, great job!

Thanks, I figured with this TL, I could play with the computing industry and rewrite the entire history of it based on a few key points of divergence therein. I've considered doing a larger TL based around the industry in the 80s and 90s, but I don't have the time for all the stuff I'm doing now. XD

It's rather, late, but it's a bit odd for WE to have been founded by Thomas in the '60s, since the Waynes are supposed to be Old Money.

BTW, if Croc doesn't even have the skin condition+filed teeth he had originally (before they got confused and turned him into a mutant lizard-man), why is he called Croc?
1.) In TTL the family was prestigious and had money before WE was founded. Thomas just expanded their wealth and power.

2.) He's got teeth, you just can't see them.

(from Qilai, Qilai)

Microsoft Windows was a short-lived venture by the Microsoft Corporation in the mid-1980s to compete with the Apple Macintosh; however, plagued with problems stemming from the fact it was a very basic top-end for MS-DOS, it soon found itself outpaced. In 1987, after releasing an abortive "Windows 2.0", Microsoft abandoned the project in favor of a joint project with IBM -- the 286/386-compatible Operating System/2. After IBM withdrew from the project in 1989, Microsoft has rode through the 90s with the OS/2 operating system. In 2012, Microsoft released the source code to the original Windows operating systems, telling the public that they could "do what they wanted with it". Many vintage DOS fans, who felt betrayed when MS moved to the OS/2 platform and neglected DOS in the early 90s, have flocked to create their own "Windows 3".

Is that logo font Linux Libertine!? :eek:

Victor Von Doom

Meet infamous Latverian dictator Victor Von Doom.
The western-educated nationalist Victor Von Doom took power from the Latverian Communists in a 1960 US-backed coup. In the 1960s and 1970s, Von Doom's technological prowess sped Latveria ahead of its Eastern Bloc neighbours in terms of technology.
But he slowly went mad with power, even declaring himself King in 1980. But one of his most curious habits was to wear to wear a metal mask to and green cloak to hide his scarring. A few years after his death in 2006, Latveria democratized, but corruption is still a huge issue.

skrtuOF.jpg

Regarding the red links:

To make redlinks blue, simply pipe them from another, real link (and in the case of actual presidents of a country, I would fully expect the in-universe wikipedia would have an article, so there's no real excuse even if the OTL people don't have articles).

For example, whenever I need a redlink blued out, I use the article for mud: for example, instead of [[assorted variety of cheeses]] --> assorted variety of cheeses, use something like [[Mud|assorted variety of cheeses]], which shows up as assorted variety of cheeses. A similar trick can be used to make purple links show as blue as well.

Alternatively, you can fix this in the post-production in your image editing software of choice if your text is antialiased (or you've got a careful touch on a hue slider).

Asami

Banned
Ul3eIYr.png

United States Public Health Service is a cabinet-level department established originally in 1798, but given an expanded role in 1954 with the Eugenics Act. The primary goal of the USPHS is to investigate the "integrity" of the American population, and prevent "public health menaces".

Child agencies that report to the Secretary of Public Health and Integrity are the National Eugenics Board (NEB), which is the final governing body on the practices of eugenics, and provides recommendations to medical professionals on which groups to conduct sterilization on; there is also the Center for Disease Control (CDC), which is America's foremost governing body when it comes to diseases and how they are controlled and managed; and then finally the Civil Defence Response Agency (CDRA) which governs Civil Defence responses to acts of biological, chemical or nuclear war or terrorism, and evacuation and shelter methods therein.

Edward Baldwin is the current Secretary of Public Health and Integrity, and has held this office since the inauguration of President Smith on January 20, 2045.

8hP1qYG.png

Ul3eIYr.png

United States Public Health Service is a cabinet-level department established originally in 1798, but given an expanded role in 1954 with the Eugenics Act. The primary goal of the USPHS is to investigate the "integrity" of the American population, and prevent "public health menaces".

Child agencies that report to the Secretary of Public Health and Integrity are the National Eugenics Board (NEB), which is the final governing body on the practices of eugenics, and provides recommendations to medical professionals on which groups to conduct sterilization on; there is also the Center for Disease Control (CDC), which is America's foremost governing body when it comes to diseases and how they are controlled and managed; and then finally the Civil Defence Response Agency (CDRA) which governs Civil Defence responses to acts of biological, chemical or nuclear war or terrorism, and evacuation and shelter methods therein.

Edward Baldwin is the current Secretary of Public Health and Integrity, and has held this office since the inauguration of President Smith on January 20, 2045.

8hP1qYG.png

Eugenics? NOOOOO!!

Just a little trick, Commissar: If you enter [[Example|Song of the Panther]] as your link, it'll display as "Song of the Panther" but actually link to "Example" - so that way you won't have red links that ITTL should be blue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.