Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. Interesting that we get another election in two months...which I suspect will be far more, let's say, definitive in it's margin.

The people of the state of Suez will be allowed to vote their conscience, but it will be under the watchful eye of the 141st Airborne to make sure there's no repeats of the last election

Chicxulub

Banned
My prediction for the 2016 election, based on 2008-2012 trends.

3aXvHtk.png

The closest states (under 5%) are:

Wisconsin (0.03%)
Pennsylvania (0.44%)
Nevada (0.86%)
Florida (1.05%)
Ohio (1.36%)
Virginia (1.46%)
New Hampshire (1.55%)
Colorado (1.77%)
Iowa (2.08%)
Michigan (2.53%)

North Carolina (4.40%)

For the reason you bring up: where's the alternative party that could possibly overtake them in those 200 (or just under) core seats?

Much as I hate to say it, if they do well in Oldham West and Royton it could indicate UKIP might take some northern seats in the end. Fingers crossed Farage kicks the bucket sooner rather than later so the personality cult dies away and they disappear.

Wisconsin (0.03%)
Pennsylvania (0.44%)
Nevada (0.86%)
Florida (1.05%)
Ohio (1.36%)
Virginia (1.46%)
New Hampshire (1.55%)
Colorado (1.77%)
Iowa (2.08%)
Michigan (2.53%)

North Carolina (4.40%)

Cool map, but I can't quite believe Hillary would do better in Ohio, Virginia and Clinton-hating Colorado than Wisconsin or Pennsylvania.

Thande

Donor
Much as I hate to say it, if they do well in Oldham West and Royton it could indicate UKIP might take some northern seats in the end. Fingers crossed Farage kicks the bucket sooner rather than later so the personality cult dies away and they disappear.

Not really the place to discuss this, but I've always found it extremely questionable, and likely just the result of the media liking Big Simple Stories, that UKIP's rise has anything much to do with Farage. He was leader years before they started surging and back then didn't achieve anything beyond keeping them level, after all. At this point, he's probably more of a negative than a positive for the party.

As Veej says, I've wondered if we're in a situation now where 'about 30%' is Labour's rock bottom core vote, ignoring turnout effects.

All things being equal, and with the caveat that predictions at this stage are of limited utility, I find it difficult to imagine much of anything dramatic happening at all at the next election. There's not really anywhere significant for any of the parties to go in terms of seats. I'm interested to see how this changes as we go on, but at this decidedly early point, my prediction would have to be just about status quo ante.

Not really the place to discuss this, but I've always found it extremely questionable, and likely just the result of the media liking Big Simple Stories, that UKIP's rise has anything much to do with Farage. He was leader years before they started surging and back then didn't achieve anything beyond keeping them level, after all. At this point, he's probably more of a negative than a positive for the party.

Largely agree, but there would be a risk for UKIP if Farage went that people like Cars would try to emulate the Nick Clegg experience and turn them into a party which looks decent on paper, but nobody has any reason to actually vote for. I doubt there are any more votes in being the pro-constitutional reform, immigration-friendly reactionary party than there are in being the pro-Cameroon anti-Tory party.

Last edited:
Something other than elections, a piece from a (somewhat dormant) Shared Worlds Game where Watergate was covered up, Scoop Jackson dominated the eighties and Cherie Blair is running Britain. The Satire ITTL is a tad less cynical and bitter.

Kicked Upstairs was an award-winning Political Satire by Amardo Ianucci that satirises the inner workings of the British government, filmed with a handheld camera in the style of a fly-on-the-wall documentary. The action centres on the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, and the "Roving Briefs" given to the Deputy Prime Minister; the characters who fill that position were supposedly based on real-life Deputy Prime Ministers Matthew Oakeshott and Gillian Shepherd. Initially, the plot follows the deputy PM Harry Spalding (Jeff Rawle), with as his Senior Advisor Joe Marwick (Peter Capaldi) and as the tyrannical Downing Street Director of Communications Malcolm Tucker (James Smith). From Series 4, after the incumbent government loses the election, Mary Parker (Rebecca Front) becomes Deputy Prime Minister and is aided by Special Advisor David Raskin (Ben Wishaw) and commanded by Downing Street Communications Director Kathy Stewart (Olivia Coleman). Series 4 onwards also follows the new, hapless Leader of the Opposition John Kamen (Patrick Marber). While the names of neither parties are given, it is strongly implied that Spalding's Party are the Labour Party and Parker's Party respectively.

The series was adapted into a feature film spin-off, The Great and the Good. That film starts with the unseen Prime Minister resigning abruptly and Harry Spalding ascending to the premiership, but only for a 3 month period as he is blackmailed into not standing for the leadership of the party, allowing political rival Jamie Osborne (Ingrid Lacey) to take leadership of the party. During his interim leadership, Spalding attempts to secure his legacy as Prime Minister at the G7 Summit being held in a resort in New England, sparring with White House Chief of Staff Kathy Ballard (Robin Wright) and German Chancellor Sigmar Wiskow (Lars Mikkelsen).

YyW0pyH.png

Last edited:
My prediction for the 2016 election, based on 2008-2012 trends.

Wisconsin (0.03%)
Pennsylvania (0.44%)
Nevada (0.86%)
Florida (1.05%)
Ohio (1.36%)
Virginia (1.46%)
New Hampshire (1.55%)
Colorado (1.77%)
Iowa (2.08%)
Michigan (2.53%)

North Carolina (4.40%)

Why are the photos circular?

Wonder what the results would've been in that election had Trump not run. Assuming that 90% or so of the vote he got otherwise would've gone to Romney one can only assume that Mitt would've won. Which means he must've been doing ok. Which means that Trump has no reason to run. Why am I even questioning a post like this anyways? I just need to bask in the sheer horror of it.

Senator Ted Cruz - upon announcing his candidacy for the 2016 Republican Nomination said:
President Romney has not honored his promise to Americans - as President I will.

Vice President Paul Ryan - upon hearing that Ted Cruz refuses to withdraw before the convention said:
Does he [Ted Cruz] want our party to lose the general election?

Speaker John Boehner - upon hearing that Ted Cruz has accepted Donald Trump's offer to become VP on the "American" Party Ticket said:
That fucking jackass!

EjpGh8a.png

Suez gubernatorial election, October 2133 (Enceladus)

"PERILLOUX ARRESTS GUBERNATORIAL CANDIDATES
PEREZ, O'SHEA, OTHERS CHARGED WITH CORRUPTION, BRIBERY
"
-New Cairo World-Gazette, November 19, 2133

"Organized crime syndicates like Green Power can no longer be allowed to run free in this state. They must be brought to heel, and the time to do it is now."
-COL Jubal Perilloux, CO of the 141st Airborne Brigade
Press briefing, November 22, 2133

"Never fear, dear listeners. I was never one to shy away from the truth, and I was never one to shy away from a fight. I will run for governor and I will win!"
-Connor Van Brocklin
The Secret Truth with Connor Van Brocklin, November 25th, 2133

"I don't understand it. Of all the paramilitaries it not disband, they decide to keep around Bisciotti's army of killer robots? Good God, what the fuck is Führer Perriloux thinking?"
-Anonymous UseNet posting, December 1, 2133

"I always thought Connor was one of us. A friend. An ally. And now he's working hand in hand with those jackbooted fascists? There can only be one explination! The real Connor was kidnapped by the government and replaced by a duplicate. A body snatcher! God help us."
-Unknown pirate radio broadcast, December 6, 2133

"I can't fucking believe it. The Minutemen gave the people two choices. On the one hand there was the literal Mad Scientist who is literally backed by an army of killer robots who wants to use nukes to kickstart tectonic activity to realign the continents. And then on the other hand, we have the conspiracy theorist radio host who thinks that the President is a reptilian humanoid replicant. And who do the people chose? God damn this country to hell."
-Excerpt from "Fear and Loathing in New Cairo, Part III" by Raoul Reyes
Rolling Stone magazine, December 18, 2133

"Thank you for voting for me, dear voters. Today is a brand new day for the state of Suez and a brand new day for America. There's a new sheriff in town, and I promise you, it won't be politics as usual!"
-Connor Van Brocklin, Governor-Elect of Suez
Victory speech, December 15, 2133

8GyvHQx.png

"I always thought Connor was one of us. A friend. An ally. And now he's working hand in hand with those jackbooted fascists? There can only be one explination! The real Connor was kidnapped by the government and replaced by a duplicate. A body snatcher! God help us."
-Unknown pirate radio broadcast, December 6, 2133

Present by approval, but without comment:

2vMpXhD.png

Status
Not open for further replies.