Alternate wife for HRE Matthias

The Emperor Matthias married rather late, to a cousin Anna of the Tyrolean Habsburg line. They had no children precipitating a succession struggle in Bohemia that led to the 30 Years War. I'm wondering if Matthias married differently and had a son. His wife would probably have a role in any regency as the child would only be about 8+/- years old. Anna was apparently considered as a bride for Sigismund III or Poland so she could simply marry him or just die young. Looking around there weren't many alternatives available.

Magdalena of Bavaria 1587-1628
Matthias courted her but her brother refused to countenance the match. She is also apparently was in love with his cousin Leopold of Inner Austria. She'd likely align with the Catholic League which could be problematic.

Constance of Inner Austria 1588—1631
OTL Queen of Poland as second wife of Sigismund III, her late sister's widower. Probably more likely if Sigismund marries Anna of Tyrol. It could be a way to heal rifts in the family that emerged during Rudolfs reign. She was, like her brother Ferdinand II devoutly Catholic so that could create friction with the Bohemian and Hungarian Estates. She'd probably agree to her brother being elected Emperor on Matthias' death but she certainly support her own son over her nephew in the next election. She supported her son John over her step son Wladyslaw OTL.

Eleonora de'Medici 1591-1617
She was put forward as a wife for the widowed Philip III OTL but he refused. She later died from smallpox so there's every reason to believe she could have lived longer. Her family was looking for a Habsburg match after falling out over her father's marriage to Christina of Lorraine, who as a descendent of the Valois line was considered pro-French. His niece's marriage to Henry IV didn't help that perception. She would be interesting as maybe less rigidly or dogmatically Catholic. She'd also be a first cousin to Marie de Medicis so her son would be a second cousin to Louis XIII.

So I'm wondering if there are any other more logical choices and how each would handle a Regency for Upper, Lower and Further Austria, potentially involving Matthias' brother Albert and/or his cousins in Inner Austria. Bohemia and Hungary are nominally elected, not sure they'd elect a minor, their estates would surely want great concessions. Likewise how the Imperial Election would play out. Eleonora would have the fewest allies so she could either play them all shrewdly to her sons advantage or find herself isolated. Magdalena might rely to much on her brother creating a rift with the Inner Austrian Habsburgs. Constance with her strong Catholicism may face the same problems her brother faced in Bohemia OTL.

The Emperor Matthias married rather late, to a cousin Anna of the Tyrolean Habsburg line. They had no children precipitating a succession struggle in Bohemia that led to the 30 Years War. I'm wondering if Matthias married differently and had a son. His wife would probably have a role in any regency as the child would only be about 8+/- years old. Anna was apparently considered as a bride for Sigismund III or Poland so she could simply marry him or just die young. Looking around there weren't many alternatives available.

Magdalena of Bavaria 1587-1628
Matthias courted her but her brother refused to countenance the match. She is also apparently was in love with his cousin Leopold of Inner Austria. She'd likely align with the Catholic League which could be problematic.

Constance of Inner Austria 1588—1631
OTL Queen of Poland as second wife of Sigismund III, her late sister's widower. Probably more likely if Sigismund marries Anna of Tyrol. It could be a way to heal rifts in the family that emerged during Rudolfs reign. She was, like her brother Ferdinand II devoutly Catholic so that could create friction with the Bohemian and Hungarian Estates. She'd probably agree to her brother being elected Emperor on Matthias' death but she certainly support her own son over her nephew in the next election. She supported her son John over her step son Wladyslaw OTL.

Eleonora de'Medici 1591-1617
She was put forward as a wife for the widowed Philip III OTL but he refused. She later died from smallpox so there's every reason to believe she could have lived longer. Her family was looking for a Habsburg match after falling out over her father's marriage to Christina of Lorraine, who as a descendent of the Valois line was considered pro-French. His niece's marriage to Henry IV didn't help that perception. She would be interesting as maybe less rigidly or dogmatically Catholic. She'd also be a first cousin to Marie de Medicis so her son would be a second cousin to Louis XIII.

So I'm wondering if there are any other more logical choices and how each would handle a Regency for Upper, Lower and Further Austria, potentially involving Matthias' brother Albert and/or his cousins in Inner Austria. Bohemia and Hungary are nominally elected, not sure they'd elect a minor, their estates would surely want great concessions. Likewise how the Imperial Election would play out. Eleonora would have the fewest allies so she could either play them all shrewdly to her sons advantage or find herself isolated. Magdalena might rely to much on her brother creating a rift with the Inner Austrian Habsburgs. Constance with her strong Catholicism may face the same problems her brother faced in Bohemia OTL.

What about the other Italian ladies that were considered for Rudolf II - Giulia d'Este (whose relative Cardinal d'Este pushed her forward), Margherita of Savoy (OTL duchess of Mantua, vicereine of Portugal - pushed forward by her stepuncle (by blood) Felipe III) and her uncle (by marriage) Albrecht VII of Austria) or Eleonora Gonzaga (OTL Holy Roman Empress to Ferdinand II). Maria de Medici was also considered for Rudolf, but by the time Matthias becomes emperor she's already queen of France. Although, I could see her pulling a Leonor of Portugal and choosing Matthias over Henri if given the choice to be a queen or an empress.

Margherita is one I hadn't thought of who could work. In a way a marriage to Matthias would parallel her OTL marriage to Francesco Gonzaga. Eleonora would be too young I think, being born only in 1598. Giulia would be kind of low in stature, at least as compared to the alternatives.

Ultimately I'm most curious how Matthias having a son would play out. Its been discussed only a couple times I can see but I think the 'how it happens' part needs to be sorted out first. And I don't think he was ever likely to have children with Anna, she was fairly old when they married and her health deteriorated rapidly to the point that she predeceased him.

Anyways, we're left with two German and two Italian princesses. Anyone of them would have to navigate an immediate Imperial election. Potentially royal elections as well if Matthias hadn't managed to get his infant son crowned and I'm skeptical he ever could. And then there's the hornets nest of Habsburg family politics, with Matthias' surviving brother Albert and his cousins Ferdinand and Leopold.

Anyways, we're left with two German and two Italian princesses. Anyone of them would have to navigate an immediate Imperial election. Potentially royal elections as well if Matthias hadn't managed to get his infant son crowned and I'm skeptical he ever could. And then there's the hornets nest of Habsburg family politics, with Matthias' surviving brother Albert and his cousins Ferdinand and Leopold.

I might be a bit overdramatic, but I think hornet's nest is an understatement. Matthias lost the confidence of his Spanish relatives when he tried to get made ruler of the Netherlands during the Dutch revolt (IIRC, this was one o the "unofficial" reasons given for the Bavarian match being called off); he lost the confidence of his brother Rudolf when he led the rebellion against him; he lost the confidence of the Inner Austrian branch (and perhaps brothers Max and Albrecht) when he proved less ultra-Catholic than they'd like. So, I think Mats needs to learn to work on his familial relationships.

@Valena had an interesting idea once upon a time: Anna Vasa marries Sigmund Bathori (Sigmund III of Poland dies young or never gets elected king of Poland), Maria Christine of Inner Austria marries Matthias around the same time she wed Bathori OTL, and they have a kid (I would imagine this would be in the mid-1590s/early 1600s)

@Valena had an interesting idea once upon a time: Anna Vasa marries Sigmund Bathori (Sigmund III of Poland dies young or never gets elected king of Poland), Maria Christine of Inner Austria marries Matthias around the same time she wed Bathori OTL, and they have a kid (I would imagine this would be in the mid-1590s/early 1600s)
I even toyed with a TL based on this. It meant Sigmund III of Poland dying young and Batori willing to establish a dynasty in Poland. Habsburg marriage was a side effect.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-with-his-wife-30-years-war-postponed.311350/
There is an idea of different marriage explored as a prep for another never-to-take-off thing.

I might be a bit overdramatic, but I think hornet's nest is an understatement.

I'd completely agree with that sentiment. It's kind of why I think a marriage with Constance would be hard. A marriage to Maria Christina or indeed to anyone before about 1610 also seems difficult given the internal conflicts within the family during Rudolf's reign. My understanding is that it's what killed his chances with Magdalena. So although a German bride would be preferable I'm not sure one could be arranged. I only originally included Eleonora as an Italian because her family was pushing her for a Habsburg marriage, albeit to the Spanish branch but I'm warming to the idea of Margherita. But you'd have to overcome Charles Emmanuel's rapprochement with France which happened OTL about the time Matthias would be marrying (Treaty of Bruzolo was 1610). Still if Eleonora de' Medici takes her place as wife of Francesco it could potentially avert two succession struggles. So maybe when Henry IV dies Charles Emmanuel chooses to reorient with Matthias.

Anyways suppose Matthias and Margherita have a son, maybe Karl after her father (I doubt he'd use Ferdinand, Maximilian, Leopold, Rudolf or Albert as he wasn't on great terms with them). I could see Matthias and Melchior Klesl manage to engineer young Charles' election to the thrones of Bohemia and Hungary, with suitable concessions of course, made easier by the prospect of Ferdinand of Styria or, god forbid Philip of Spain (as nephew of Matthias) succeeding. But the Imperial Election is a tougher nut to crack. Does Albert stand, does he make way for Ferdinand. They won't elect young Charles especially as it would allow too much power to devolve to the Protestant Electors during his minority. There's also the issue of a Regency for Upper and Lower Austria and I assume also Tyrol (I would guess Matthias would grant it to his son just as son as his brother Maximilian is dead). So would it inevitably lead to a continued struggle within the House of Habsburg?

As someone who is VERY interested in the Thirty Years' war era I find the idea of Matthias having male issue fascinating. Unfortunately it wouldn't make much difference in regards to Bohemia. Rudolf and Matthias gave away the farm to the Protestant Estates to get support in their Brother's Quarrel (read the Letter of Majesty for example; it went even further than the Edict of Nantes!) and any successor is going to fight tooth and nail to get it back. If it's not Ferdinand II then it's Matthias' son (Maximilian III maybe?). Rudolf and Matthias were pretty flexible religiously but that era of Renaissance compromise was ending. Now this doesn't mean the Thirty Years' war is inevitable; just the Bohemian revolt. if the Bohemians chose someone else/someone else accepts the throne, then the war might be limited to just the Lands of Saint Wenceslas. Of course, flip side we could just as easily see the Protestant Union decide to fully support the Bohemians and mobilization, making the war even worse and open for foreign intervention.

Either way the earliest any marriage could take place would be after June 1608, when Matthias and Rudolf divided the Habsburg Monarchy and the former became King of Hungary. So any son would be at most nine (assuming a 1610 birth as earliest and Matthias dying on schedule in 1619). The only time hat an Emperor died with an underage heir was in 1657, when Ferdinand III left his seventeen-year-old son Leopold I as his heir. That resulted in the longest post Golden Bull interregnum in Imperial history, 14 months. Here the Electors couldn't leave an interregnum of eight years. Sense there was an understanding that one had to reach their majority to be eligible for election, no chance of electing Matthias' son early. Even if Albrecht stands for election (not guaranteed sense he was seen as much to Spanish during the OTL crises around Rudolf II and Matthias' succession) his health collapsed in late 1620 and died in July 1621, meaning another election would potentially take place two years later. Then there's the Dutch complications. The twelve years' truce was expiring and Spain was gearing up for round two with the Netherlands. If Albrecht is Emperor he could drag the Empire into the Eighty Years' war. The Electors aren't going to want to risk it. In which case Ferdinand of Styria is the best candidate. This leaves us with an almost identical repeat of 1440s and 1450s: we have an Emperor (1400s Friedrich III 1620s Ferdinand II) from the junior Styrian branch of the Habsburgs whose likely unable to support the governance of the Empire or his dignity with his meager resources and an underage legitimate successor-heir (Ladislaus 1400s Max III, for lack of a name, in 1620s) ruling the rest of the realms (Hungary, Bohemia and Upper/Lower Austria). This divided succession opens the door for the Protestants to demand greater concessions and place the Austrian and Styrian branches off each other. This scenario could be an even worse mess than OTL. In a way we're lucky that Matthias died childless.

This is basically what I was thinking. Matthias isn't going to be able to marry before 1609 and by then there aren't many candidates. The Brother's Quarrel has poisoned the well in Germany so it may have to be an Italian. I go back and forth on which one, I'm back to thinking Eleonora as more likely given the about face Charles Emmanuel would have to make, though given Matthias' relationship with Spain I suppose Charles Emmanuel doesn't have to make peace with Philip to wed his daughter. I suppose if he was smart he'd wed her to Matthias as soon as Henry IV dies to try to neutralize the Imperial side, anticipating a loss of French support.

I think the Bohemian Estates would be happy with Matthias' son if they thought they could take advantage of a Regency. The only other options are more rigidly Catholic Habsburgs or the election of another candidate which would mean open rebellion. At the same time I think that increases the probability of a fractured Regency, ie a different Regent/Regency Council in the different realms he rules (Bohemia, Hungary, Austria proper, possibly Tyrol). Matthias can do his best to set it all up before he dies, and certainly the death of his brother Maximilian may make things a little easier but its going to be hard to ensure a smooth transition. I imagine his wife be she Margherita or Eleonora would get some position, Klesl probably has a place in Austria proper maybe also Bohemia, Tyrol will be fought over if his son gets it at all. I suppose Maximilian III may try to leave it to his nephew Ferdinand, though such a will would, I think, be in contravention of the terms of the will of Ferdinand I which partitioned Austria in the first place and against the prerogatives of Matthias as Emperor and head of the House. But Spain would probably rather see further Austria go to Ferdinand, or maybe as OTL to Leopold, as they need it's ruler on their side to ensure the security of the Spanish road.

I guess Ferdinand is probably elected Emperor. I'm skeptical that Albert would throw his hat in the ring not just for the health reasons but because he's already stepped back, it would be hard to reassert his position in the family and the Empire now, even more so with his younger nephew Ferdinand waiting in the wings. Although ironically I could see Klesl/Matthias' wife pushing his candidacy with the expectation that he'd die soon and they could then have Matthias' son elected. Anyways Ferdinand seems more likely but as you said he has no power base, so I wonder it that means he leans more heavily on his brother in law Maximilian of Bavaria and the Catholic League, which would probably not end well. In that case Matthias' son could be supported by the Protestant side, if he continues toleration in Bohemia, which I agree would remain a powder keg. One thing I was wondering was if Matthias' son and/or his Regents would look to outside support against Ferdinand II. Seems like both sides would be angling for a deal with Sigismund or Wladyslaw in neighboring Poland. Given that Wladylsaw is Ferdinand's nephew would he take the Styrian side? Spain's more likely to want to back Ferdinand especially if his son marries the Infanta Maria Anna but on the other hand if Matthias Jr controls Further Austria could he cut a deal with Spain, give them Alsace in exchange for a fat dowery for Maria Anna and their support in the next Election? If they can't come to such an understanding does that open the door for the Bohemian branch to seek an understanding with France? Cut a deal with the Dutch?

I guess Ferdinand's son wouldn't stand much of chance against Matthias' in the next Election. The latter would be an Elector after all, while the former has only the meager territories of Inner Austria. Though a hardline Catholic position could net him the votes of the Ecclesiastical Electors but it's still likely 4-3 in favor of Matthias' son unless a third party jumps in and gains some support from one or more of the three Protestant Electors. So yeah, I guess it's probably just as messy as OTL though I would think, or at least hope, a war on the scale of the 30YW could be avoided. It's interesting in a way because the board is all set, the pieces in place but the birth of a son in the last few years before Matthias' death upends everything. Still messy but in a completely different way as OTL, and given how large the 30YW looms in our history that's saying a lot.

I think the Bohemian Estates would be happy with Matthias' son if they thought they could take advantage of a Regency. The only other options are more rigidly Catholic Habsburgs or the election of another candidate which would mean open rebellion. At the same time I think that increases the probability of a fractured Regency, ie a different Regent/Regency Council in the different realms he rules (Bohemia, Hungary, Austria proper, possibly Tyrol). Matthias can do his best to set it all up before he dies, and certainly the death of his brother Maximilian may make things a little easier but its going to be hard to ensure a smooth transition. I imagine his wife be she Margherita or Eleonora would get some position, Klesl probably has a place in Austria proper maybe also Bohemia, Tyrol will be fought over if his son gets it at all. I suppose Maximilian III may try to leave it to his nephew Ferdinand, though such a will would, I think, be in contravention of the terms of the will of Ferdinand I which partitioned Austria in the first place and against the prerogatives of Matthias as Emperor and head of the House. But Spain would probably rather see further Austria go to Ferdinand, or maybe as OTL to Leopold, as they need it's ruler on their side to ensure the security of the Spanish road.

As to a possible successor - Matthias having a son changes the Onate Treaty, doesn't it. Which means we might see the Spanish saying that they should get Further Austria/Bohemia/Hungary by dint of being the children of Matthias' oldest sister, Anna of Austria. Granted, I don't see pious dolt Felipe III making such a move, but it might be brought up.

I guess Ferdinand is probably elected Emperor. I'm skeptical that Albert would throw his hat in the ring not just for the health reasons but because he's already stepped back, it would be hard to reassert his position in the family and the Empire now, even more so with his younger nephew Ferdinand waiting in the wings. Although ironically I could see Klesl/Matthias' wife pushing his candidacy with the expectation that he'd die soon and they could then have Matthias' son elected. Anyways Ferdinand seems more likely but as you said he has no power base, so I wonder it that means he leans more heavily on his brother in law Maximilian of Bavaria and the Catholic League, which would probably not end well. In that case Matthias' son could be supported by the Protestant side, if he continues toleration in Bohemia, which I agree would remain a powder keg. One thing I was wondering was if Matthias' son and/or his Regents would look to outside support against Ferdinand II. Seems like both sides would be angling for a deal with Sigismund or Wladyslaw in neighboring Poland. Given that Wladylsaw is Ferdinand's nephew would he take the Styrian side? Spain's more likely to want to back Ferdinand especially if his son marries the Infanta Maria Anna but on the other hand if Matthias Jr controls Further Austria could he cut a deal with Spain, give them Alsace in exchange for a fat dowery for Maria Anna and their support in the next Election? If they can't come to such an understanding does that open the door for the Bohemian branch to seek an understanding with France? Cut a deal with the Dutch?

Sorry for the double post, am on my phone ATM

Wladyslaw might be Ferdinand's nephew, but he's not necessarily going to have any love for the family. His stepmother/aunt hated him, because he blocked the succession of her own kids to the Polish throne, among other reasons (one was apparently a rivalry between her and her eldest sister that she transferred to Wladyslaw).

As to the Spanish, they might marry Maria Ana off elsewhere - particularly if the age-gap is too large to be comfortable between her and Max III/Mats Jnr. Emperor Constantine made a good suggestion of Spain marrying her off to the elector/duke of Bavaria, so as to diversify the Spanish portfolio of alliances/marriages. Another option is she still marries OTL Ferdinand III, but the match is considerably lower - he's a mere archduke here, not the future emperor (unless Ferdinand II is elected as Mats' successor)

Well Philip wouldn't have a legal claim on anything but he has a strong strategic interest in Further Austria. So he'd probably end up picking sides if for no other reason that a need to secure communications between the Netherlands and Italy, although my understanding is beyond that he favored stability in the Empire in rather pragmatic way. As for the Vasas I agree re Cosntance, that's why I was thinking that if Matthias married her she would probably push her son's interests over her nephew Ferdinand's. I suppose it depends on whether Anna of Tyrol dies or if she marries Sigismund because she'd probably be a much weaker willed second wife in comparison.

Maria Anna would be on the older side for Matthias' son, but only 6-8 years older than him so not insurmountable. They'd have a similar problem trying to marry her to Maximilian of Bavaria as his childless first wife didn't die until 1635 when she'd be 29 if she hadn't married already. And Ferdinand the younger (OTL Emperor Ferdinand III who would be considered Archduke Ferdinand IV of Austria if I've got the numbering right) would be a better match considering Maximilian would still be a mere Duke while Ferdinand would be an Archduke, a Habsburg and the son of a reigning Emperor. Clearly the family relations are complicated and deeply intertwined with the political settlement following the Imperial Election in 1619.

I'm just wondering - I could be getting my Medici girls mixed up, but wasn't the part of the reason that Eleonora remained unwed either because of her health (which was poor) or because she was rumored to be slightly *touched in the head? I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the Medici princesses at the time (not sure if it was Eleonora or the eldest daughter of her brother) that suffered from weak health.

That said, would she necessarily succeed in Mantua where her sister failed OTL? She is first cousin of her namesake mother-in-law, so I just wonder, since I've never read why Caterina and the duke of Mantua had no kids, and I fear it might simply be aggravating an already poor situation in Mantua - regarding the succesion.

I'm just wondering - I could be getting my Medici girls mixed up, but wasn't the part of the reason that Eleonora remained unwed either because of her health (which was poor) or because she was rumored to be slightly *touched in the head? I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the Medici princesses at the time (not sure if it was Eleonora or the eldest daughter of her brother) that suffered from weak health.

That said, would she necessarily succeed in Mantua where her sister failed OTL? She is first cousin of her namesake mother-in-law, so I just wonder, since I've never read why Caterina and the duke of Mantua had no kids, and I fear it might simply be aggravating an already poor situation in Mantua - regarding the succesion.

I think that was her younger sister Maria Maddalena and/or her eldest niece Maria Christina, who both had some kind of birth defect or developmental disability. I can't find much on Eleonora beyond that she died relatively young from smallpox but her other two sisters were healthy, and I think Catherine's issues having children were more her husband's than hers. I couldn't find a reference to Eleonora in Christopher Hibbert's book, but it's a little thin past Cosimo I. George Frederick Young's two volume history of the Medici mentions her in relation to her sisters as being healthy and cultured. He actually makes the claim that Eleonora was engaged to Philip III but he broke it off and she died of a broken heart shortly there after. I think it's more likely that he refused the offer made by the Tuscan court and she just contracted smallpox which was hardly out of the ordinary for the time. Interestingly he states that Lorenzo and Maria Maddalena were fraternal twins, something no one else mentions and the birth dates are clearly recorded as a year apart in the the survey of the Capella dei Principi.

Nevertheless I do think there's some truth in there somewhere, after all she was young, healthy and just as pretty as her sister but her younger sister Caterina married first while Eleonora was still alive. That makes me think that Eleonora was tied up in negotiations with Spain. It may have been a one-sided affair on the part of the Tuscan court, kind of like their later attempts to marry Anna de' Medici to Gaston, but it made them overlook other opportunities for her. It didn't get far along, at least not to an engagement but it did keep her off the market. So I think she'd be a good candidate when Matthias is looking for a wife around 1611, potentially before Philip III is even a widower.

Anyways the more I look at it, given Savoy's new alliance with France around the time of a potential marriage, I think politically Eleonora is more likely that Margherita. I do wonder how a Medici Dowager Empress would play out. I wonder if she'd arrange for her widower sister Claudia's marriage to Ferdinand II rather than his brother Leopold. She'd also be a first cousin of Marie de Medicis, Dowager Queen of France so that could be interesting.

As to a possible successor - Matthias having a son changes the Onate Treaty, doesn't it. Which means we might see the Spanish saying that they should get Further Austria/Bohemia/Hungary by dint of being the children of Matthias' oldest sister, Anna of Austria. Granted, I don't see pious dolt Felipe III making such a move, but it might be brought up.

The Oñate Treaty wouldn't happen. Period. With Matthias having a son the main Austrian line doesn't die out and the Spanish claim via Anna of Austria are worthless.