Alternate Weapons of War thread...

Not sure if it belongs here but:

801.png

For later on in my Alt-SG Story.

A Belgian battleship from an ATL where Leopold II succeeds in purchasing a Pacific empire for himself.

Crown Prince Baudouin

L.D. 1888, Launched 1891, Completed 1892

367 x 59 x 29 feet
9,800 tons
17.5 kts
7000nm at 10 kts

8 x 9.2" in two twin barbettes fore and aft and four casemates amidships
4 x 6.0" in four casemates amidships
16 x 3 pounders
6 18" T.T. (one bow, one stern, two on each broadside)

12" Main Belt
10" Upper Belt
6" Casemates
12" C.T.
2" Gunshields
3" Deck

Complement 644

Crown Prince Baudouin.png

Last edited:
That's a beautiful ship, Douglas!

Thanks. :eek:

If you're curious, I tried to give the image a little realism by painting it in the poor quality color that often passed for "black" in OTL, showing gouging damage from anchors and casemates, dirty funnel-tops, and adding that weird yellow funnel as a form of ship recognition (the MN used it in this era, and the rear funnel of every German warship at Jutland was painted bright red). I sort of imagined a situation where Japan or the US decided to go after this alternate Belgian empire in the early years of the 20th century; thus the all-"black" anti-torpedo attack paint.

kokoda.png
Kokoda Class SSK

Type: Diesel electric submarine with air independent Propulsion
Displacement: 5,562 tonnes (surfaced)
Lengeth: 98m
Beam: 8.6m
Draught: 7m at the water line (9m at UUV bulge)
Propulsion: Marine Diesel with Advanced Sterling Engine for underwater operations driving a seven blade ducted propeller. Back up Fuel cell and Batteries.
Compliment: 32
Sensors: Bow and distributed Active and passive sonar arrays.
Towed sonar array
Surface search radar
Armament: 8 x Vertical Launch tubes for Cruise missiles or Sub-THAAD
4 x 530mm Torpedo tubes for torpedoes, mines or Sub-Harpoon
Special Equipment: 2 x “Bunyip” multi-purpose UUV carried in Bow

At just under 100m in length, the Kokoda are the largest conventional submarines in the world. With a weapons load and capability comparable to a modern SSN, the Kokoda class is a key piece of the Australian Navies continued dominance in the south pacific.

Conceived as part of the “ Navy 2030” plan to counter the growing rise of China and India's naval power in the region, the 12 Kokoda class vessels were the most expensive military acquisition in Australian history. Designed in Australia, and incorporating a wide range of indigenous and foreign technologies, the Kokoda class represent a massive investment of time,money and knowledge on the half of Australia's military, shipbuilding and scientific industries.

The Kokoda are a class of Conventional powered submarines intended for long range anti shipping and patrol operations, as well as “Brown water” littoral and special mission. As well as a conventional diesel electric power plant, the Kokoda also utilise and Advanced Air independent Stirling engine for long range underwater cruising. With the Stirling engine, the Kokoda is capable of Underwater endurance of up to a week, allowing for extended underwater operations.

Utilising a high degree of computerisation and automation has allowed the Kokoda class to require only a small crew. Although much larger than the Collins class it replaced, the Kokoda requires less crew, with only 20 required to operate the vessel, although a complement of 32 are carried to allow for a spread of the work load, a lesson learned from the operation of the Collins class.

The Kokoda's Impressive weapons load include 8 Vertical Launch Tubes for Cruise missiles and 4 torpedo tubes. Although the Kokoda has less torpedo tubes than the Collins class , this was seen as a necessary sacrifice to allow for the 8 VLS tubes. The Kokoda carries 26 tube launched weapons, usually a mix of heavyweight torpedos and Sub-harpoon missiles. The VLS tubes can also take Sub-THAAD missiles, although the Australian Navy has yet to purchase any of these systems.

As well as the standard weapons, the Kokoda Also carry two “Bunyip” Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUV) in two bays located in the bow “bulge”. These Australian developed Multi purpose vehicles are powered by on-board fuel cells, and can operate independently of the mother vessel. They can be utilised and swimmer delivery vehicles, for reconnaissance, mine-sweeping or even attack, with the ability to carry a light weight torpedo or sea mine.

With 12 units now in service, the Australian navy has reorganised the deployment of its submarines. 6 Units are based at Fleet Base West in Western Australia, 2 units are base out of the expanded patrol base located in Darwin, with the remaining 4 based out of fleet base east in Sydney. Boats from all 3 bases often deploy for extended periods to the Joint Pacific navel base recently constructed on Nauru, conducting patrols through the south pacific islands.

kokoda.png

View attachment 116340
Kokoda Class SSK

Type: Diesel electric submarine with air independent Propulsion
Displacement: 5,562 tonnes (surfaced)
Lengeth: 98m
Beam: 8.6m
Draught: 7m at the water line (9m at UUV bulge)
Propulsion: Marine Diesel with Advanced Sterling Engine for underwater operations driving a seven blade ducted propeller. Back up Fuel cell and Batteries.
Compliment: 32
Sensors: Bow and distributed Active and passive sonar arrays.
Towed sonar array
Surface search radar
Armament: 8 x Vertical Launch tubes for Cruise missiles or Sub-THAAD
4 x 530mm Torpedo tubes for torpedoes, mines or Sub-Harpoon
Special Equipment: 2 x “Bunyip” multi-purpose UUV carried in Bow

Nice. I assume by this time the RAN has also developed it's new frigate in conjuction with the RN?

Russell

Hapsburg

Banned
Just my 2 cents, it looks better in as the "landship" instead of a "walker"
I know. It's just that we've had it as a walker since we first thought of the thing in 9th grade. Literally, it was one of the first things we thought up for the story/universe. It is, after all, called the "Cockroach".

But I guess a hovercraft is more realistic for something of this size.

How would you do that? When I asked you earlier you said they didn't have antigravity technology on the same level of Star Wars's end-all-be-all stuff, and you can't seriously be suggesting to propel that thing on an air cushion?
Air cushion combined with a repulsor field. They don't have to have antigravity on the same scale and type as Star Wars to have some repulsor tech. Especially for something the size of a damned cruiser. A simple, crude repulsor field combined with a ground-effect should be adequate.

Hapsburg, your walker/land dreadnought/mobile command base inspired me to make this:

Wild Wild West, Jim West, desperado, rough rider
No you don't want nada
None of this, six gun in this, brotha runnin this,
Buffalo soldier, look it's like I told ya
Any damsel that's in distress
Be out of that dress when she meet Jim West
Rough neck so go check the law and abide
Watch your step with flex and get a hold in your side
Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at,
With all of this, from the start of this,
Runnin the game, James West tamin the west so remember the name
Now who ya gonna call?

Not the G.B.'s

Now who you gonna call?

*G double E G*

If you have a riff with people wanna bust,
Break out before you get bumrushed at the (Wild Wild West)
When I roll into the (Wild Wild West)
When I stroll into the (Wild Wild West)
When I bounce into the (Wild Wild West) Sisqo, Sisqo

We going straight to the Wild Wild West

The Dude

Banned
Wild Wild West, Jim West, desperado, rough rider
No you don't want nada
None of this, six gun in this, brotha runnin this,
Buffalo soldier, look it's like I told ya
Any damsel that's in distress
Be out of that dress when she meet Jim West
Rough neck so go check the law and abide
Watch your step with flex and get a hold in your side
Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at,
With all of this, from the start of this,
Runnin the game, James West tamin the west so remember the name
Now who ya gonna call?

Not the G.B.'s

Now who you gonna call?

*G double E G*

If you have a riff with people wanna bust,
Break out before you get bumrushed at the (Wild Wild West)
When I roll into the (Wild Wild West)
When I stroll into the (Wild Wild West)
When I bounce into the (Wild Wild West) Sisqo, Sisqo

Nice.

megafiller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres a ship, lol. Those orange things tied to the ship are inflatable lifeboats, the flag is a simplified flag of the micronation Earea-Eacea, while the ship is labeled Earea-Eacea National Navy division II.
While making this, i kept thinking "How are a bunch of machine guns and some over-sized rifles going to sink battle-ships?" so i decided that this sailed, steam-driven ship should have grenade launching turrets (the big thing in the middle and the two near each end):p.

eennd2shipa.png

I know I've posted this before but i've made improvements to it now.

The Admiral Class (CVA-01) aircraft carrier of the Royal Navy, HMS Ark Royal. Seen here in 1984 when she and her sister ship, HMCS Kingsmill former the core of the Commonwealth Union task force that retook the Falklands after their brief occupation by Argentina.

Displacement: 68,000 Tons Full Load.
Length: 271 Meters.
Beam: 71.3 Meters (Max).
Draught: 10.2 Meters.
Engines: (8 Rolls-Royce Olympus Gas Turbines powering four shafts, 36 Knots Max.
Complement: 3250 (reduced to 2,800 with automation).
Aircraft Carrier: 56.
Catapults: 3 X 75 Meter Steam Catapults.
Lifts: 2 X Deck Edge Lifts (36 Tons lift capacity each).

Russell

Admiral Class Aircraft Carrier.PNG

Last edited:

Sachyriel

Banned
Atari Teenage Riot (the band not the song by the Ataris) makes music in OTL that sounds like ATL's psychological warfare.

I love it, right now I'm listening to "Sick To Death".
BURN BERLIN BURN

Well I spent the past few days reading through this entire thread, and wow. there is a lot of talent out there. I haven't done too much in the alternate history realm (at least not regarding designs) but I do have this one that I did a while back.