Alternate to French Fries (Fried Potato) in Fast Food

Patties or strips of fried soylent green. The ingredients for it are widely available and the production could be expanded on a very large scale without sustainability issues for a while, after all.

How did I not think of those? I love a good onion ring!

How about gnocchi? Easily flavoured and not hard to make, it takes some time, but most fast food places will get them in frozen and just reheat them instead.
I love gnocchi, but I don't generally think of it as "road food".... I'm sure in the US someone could come up with a way to deep-fry it though :p

Nephi

Banned
Jerusalem artichokes, only you will need them to have always been a bit of a staple they're tasty but your gut bacteria has to change a little to break them down.

How did I not think of those? I love a good onion ring!
I wonder if that in of itself would have butterflies since a plate of onion rings is more likely to cause heartburn than a plate of fries (or at least it is for me and some people I know), meaning more people avoid it and go for some other available side. Even if only like 5-10% of the population has a reaction like that, that's a lot of potential revenue lost especially if it spirals into lost sales on drinks.
Jerusalem artichokes, only you will need them to have always been a bit of a staple they're tasty but your gut bacteria has to change a little to break them down.
Gut bacteria doesn't seem to react well to fast-food in general.

Nick P

Donor
It also depends on why no french fries?
I have a couple of ideas that might explain potatoes being less popular or unavailable.

Disease or blight. The Irish Potato Famine originated in the US where a local blight devastated local crops and then crossed the Atlantic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytophthora_infestans#Historical_impact
This could happen at any time in history but around the time of the Great Depression would make it hit hardest.

Science goes Wrong: Chemical spraying, genetic modification and/or plant breeding leads to strains of potato seeds that die off after one or two generations. The taste gets worse or the plants fail to grow big enough to be edible.

Trading rules. There was The Great Maine Potato War in the 1970s that caused chaos and lawsuits.
Before that was the Great Onion Corner of 1955 when Vincent Kosuga effectively bought up all the onions in the US and was able to set his own price. Take those a step further and see multiple farmers go bust and potatoes become a luxury foodstuff.

Likely nothing, the whole burger plus fries was pretty accidental. The better question is fish and chips, where I expect it will be replaced by fish in a bun.

The French Fry is of course the staple side dish for Fast Food restaurants at least in the United States. What could have been an alternative to fried potatoes cut in long thick slices? Popcorn is one thing that I considered.

Thin slices like you get from Maccas are fries. Long and thick are chips. The latter are better.