Alternate names for the Tank?

Tectors. - as in ProTECTOR

if not that, i do like the use of Cataphract or Dreadnaught. But to be honest, Dreadnaught sounds better for a ship.

as others suggested the caterpillar origin, and shorten as it did OTL to cats.
tractor sounds plausible too, maybe even plows or some other agri name.
Would "Bus" be possible?

I always like to think of tanks as modern day counterpart of chariots, so how about "Machine-drawn Chariot", and later simply Chariots?

Or, if modern tanks comes closer to the ancient cataphracts and knights, how about "Cataphract Automobile", or Catamobils, and then Catas.

When it comes to Chinese, I think other than a Phono-semantic matching Tanke (坦克=smoothly overcome) and a dull Zhanche (戰車=battlewagon), it would be much more interesting to name it as Mengchong (蒙冲=covered assaulter) , originally for a type of leather-covered ship.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
What name did Leonardo hang on his covered battle-wagon?
Leo_tank.jpg

War Wagons, Leviathans, Phalanxes, Elephants, Rhinoceros, Aurochs, Goliaths, Cyclops, Behemoths, Razorbacks, & last but not least Barrels...:p

That makes sense. The caliber of tank armament is on par with torpedo boats and destroyers, not battleships and cruisers.

Shortening to lander might get a bit confusing when space travel is developed though. The Lunar lander could be mistaken for a tank, especially in translation. :p

Land monitor/fortress: A super heavy tank for defending key points.
Land battleship/dreadnought: A heavy tank capable of defeating all others.
Land battlecruiser: Between the land cruiser and land battleship, trades armor for speed.
Land cruiser: A medium tank usable for many roles.
Land destroyer: A tank destroyer used to overwhelm enemy tanks.
Land torpedo: An armored car, so named because of the high speeds and light armor/armament of torpedo boats.
Land layer: A vehicle used for mine laying.
Land sweeper: A vehicle used for mine clearing.

You are a genius, Delta Force.

I think naval naming of tanks would have a huge and potentially very positive effect on tank development. People would naturally think of diversifying the types of tanks according to their naval counterparts, therefore potentially butterflying away the post WWI stagnation of tank.

I think that naming them after the roles of traditional cavalry units (lancers, hussars, cuirassiers, etc.) could be interesting, but I don't know enough what those roles were and how they could translate to armored vehicle roles.
I don't think cavalry roles matches tank roles perfectly, but let me give it a try:

Cuirassier-wagons:Heavy tanks used to overcome permanent fortifications, bunkers, et cetera, in the same way cuirassiers were frequently used for siege. Later used for all heavy tanks.

Lancer-wagons: Basically a medium tank, originally designed to break through less-permanent infantry positions like trenches.

Hussar-wagon: a fast, highly maneuverable light tank, either wheeled or tracked. Originally designed to achieve strategic maneuverability or exploit breached lines.

Mechanized Archer: Tank Destroyers, developed alone the lines of Horse Archers.

Chasseur-wagons: Tankettes. Mainly used for reconnaissance and harassment.

Dragoon-wagons: Armored Personnel Carriers.

If Russia and not UK dominates early tank design, the tank might become known as vezdekhod.

It even has sloped armor, just like future Russian tanks. :D

How about just "mech"? Sure we in OTL might think of giant robots, but when you think about it the word doesn't actually have to mean that and it's sufficiently badass and rolls off the tongue pretty well.

"The French were routed by Rommel's mechs."

It even has sloped armor, just like future Russian tanks. :D

How about just "mech"? Sure we in OTL might think of giant robots, but when you think about it the word doesn't actually have to mean that and it's sufficiently badass and rolls off the tongue pretty well.

"The French were routed by Rommel's mechs."

Better that than willies.