Alternate List of Billboard#1 Hits

I was totally planning a few things, and a sort of "Behind the Music" thing is one of them. I'd love to explain the dynamics of this timeline's Dio, for example.

I would take Girls generation , I have a great idea for a hilarious manager who is a cross between bray Wyatt and J.J Dillon and anyway their rise in a timeline which had a lack of girl-bands would be a great story to show.

You guys go right ahead and start, I'm all for it.

I'd also appreciate some help compiling the rest of the lists for editing. If people could just claim a period of 4-5 years each we could easily finish the editing process with in a week.

Okay, what's the last year you've started work on? I'll be happy to take five years following that, if that's convenient. Or whatever else works, really.

As for artist profiles, I'll probably do ones for The Submariners, Kesha, Zooey Deschanel, The Ariel Matthews Band, and maybe The Format.

Actually, I kind of want to do the Behind the Scenes thing for these TTL artists.......

-Ninah Skylight

-The Lumination

-Blue

Okay, I've wrapped up putting my years into one list, and for good measure I also took a headcount of how many Kylie Minogue songs we had. From 1988 to 1991, a four-year period, she has 14 number one hits ITTL. For comparison, Katy Perry only had seven number ones from 2010 to 2013, an equivalent period. For another comparison, The Beatles had 15 number ones from 1964 to 1967. So yeah, too many hits.

Here's the full list, if you don't believe me (Lord knows I couldn't believe these numbers...)

[FONT=&quot]January 2, 1988: "I Should Be So Lucky" - Kylie Minogue[/FONT]
June 10th, 1988: "It's No Secret" by Kylie Minogue
September 16, 1988-The Loco-Motion-Kylie Minouge
November 4th, 1988: "Got to Be Certain"-Kylie Minogue
May 19th, 1989: "Tears on My Pillow" by Kylie Minogue
August 11th, 1989: "Never Too Late" by Kylie Minogue
November 3rd, 1989: "Hand on Your Heart" by Kylie Minogue
March 3rd ,1990: "Better The Devil You Know" by Kylie Minogue
[FONT=&quot]May 19, 1990-Step Back In Time-Kylie Minogue[/FONT]
August 10,1990-What Do I Have To Do-Kylie Minogue
January 14th, 1991:"If You Were With Me Now"-Kylie Minogue & Luther Vandross
March 30th, 1991: "shocked" by Kylie Minogue
August 18th, 1991: "The Word is Out" by Kylie Minogue
December 15th, 1991: "Do You Dare?" by Kylie Minogue

Incidentally, she has more TTL number ones overall than the OTL Beatles, so that's another metric to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Yikes. That is something we definitely need to address. :(

Anyhow, working on compiling 1983's #1's, and the Year-end chart as well (I'm so behind on those things it isn't funny). Should have it all done soon.

Yeah, Kylie and Girls Generation definitely need to have their hits cut back. In return some of their hits can get longer chart time, but some stuff just straight up needs to be replaced.

As for the Year Ends, we might end up editing those. When we do artist recaps we're certainly going to mention other singles that made the Top 20 but never went to #1, so just keep that in mind.

There's still plenty to do with this timeline, which is exciting. :)

Okay, I've wrapped up putting my years into one list, and for good measure I also took a headcount of how many Kylie Minogue songs we had. From 1988 to 1991, a four-year period, she has 14 number one hits ITTL. For comparison, Katy Perry only had seven number ones from 2010 to 2013, an equivalent period. For another comparison, The Beatles had 15 number ones from 1964 to 1967. So yeah, too many hits.

Here's the full list, if you don't believe me (Lord knows I couldn't believe these numbers...)

[FONT=&quot]January 2, 1988: "I Should Be So Lucky" - Kylie Minogue[/FONT]
June 10th, 1988: "It's No Secret" by Kylie Minogue
September 16, 1988-The Loco-Motion-Kylie Minouge
November 4th, 1988: "Got to Be Certain"-Kylie Minogue
May 19th, 1989: "Tears on My Pillow" by Kylie Minogue
August 11th, 1989: "Never Too Late" by Kylie Minogue
November 3rd, 1989: "Hand on Your Heart" by Kylie Minogue
March 3rd ,1990: "Better The Devil You Know" by Kylie Minogue
[FONT=&quot]May 19, 1990-Step Back In Time-Kylie Minogue[/FONT]
August 10,1990-What Do I Have To Do-Kylie Minogue
January 14th, 1991:"If You Were With Me Now"-Kylie Minogue & Luther Vandross
March 30th, 1991: "shocked" by Kylie Minogue
August 18th, 1991: "The Word is Out" by Kylie Minogue
December 15th, 1991: "Do You Dare?" by Kylie Minogue

Incidentally, she has more TTL number ones overall than the OTL Beatles, so that's another metric to keep in mind.

I would refer to this to guess how her singles might chart stateside. If she really is better promoted and does break through on this side of the Atlantic, it's plausible that some that were major pop hits in other English-speaking territories (i.e. "I Should Be So Lucky" and the "Loco-Motion") might enjoy success in the U.S. too.

Here's what stands out to me (as a lukewarm Kylie fan/from looking at their performance worldwide): It's No Secret, Got to Be Certain, Never Too Late, Hand on Your Heart, What Do I Have To Do, Shocked, and Do You Dare. If you remove those, you bring her down to a more acceptable (but still gargantuan) 7 #1s... nonetheless, keep in mind that such things have happened before. Madonna, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, and (as you noted) Katy Perry all enjoyed comparable success in the 3-4 years following their debuts (7, 5, 8, and 7 #1s, respectively... and it's a bit more absurd if you take into account their #2s and Top #5s!). Kylie needs editing, but the charts can be strange!

I would refer to this to guess how her singles might chart stateside. If she really is better promoted and does break through on this side of the Atlantic, it's plausible that some that were major pop hits in other English-speaking territories (i.e. "I Should Be So Lucky" and the "Loco-Motion") might enjoy success in the U.S. too.

Here's what stands out to me (as a lukewarm Kylie fan/from looking at their performance worldwide): It's No Secret, Got to Be Certain, Never Too Late, Hand on Your Heart, What Do I Have To Do, Shocked, and Do You Dare. If you remove those, you bring her down to a more acceptable (but still gargantuan) 7 #1s... nonetheless, keep in mind that such things have happened before. Madonna, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, and (as you noted) Katy Perry all enjoyed comparable success in the 3-4 years following their debuts (7, 5, 8, and 7 #1s, respectively... and it's a bit more absurd if you take into account their #2s and Top #5s!). Kylie needs editing, but the charts can be strange!

I'll admit, I'm partial to keeping "I Should Be So Lucky" just so that ATL!Todd in the Shadows can put it on his Worst of 1987 list. ;)

But yeah, I was thinking 7 number ones for those four years would be much more appropriate. I suppose another thing worth considering is that Kylie actually did have a tight album schedule for her first few years, so only her first album spawned four number ones as things stand. So she's not breaking Michael's OTL record for hits off of one album, even the way things are now.

Last edited:
January 1st 1982: "The Visitors" – ABBA
January 8th, 1982: "Fries With That Shake" - The Bonkers feat. Billy Preston
January 15th, 1982: "Sleepwalking" by Gerry Rafferty
January 23rd, 1982: "Physical" - Olivia Newton-John
January 30th 1982 - "Here is the News" - Electric Light Orchestra
February 6th 1982: "Tainted Love" - Soft Cell
February 13th, 1982: "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers
February 20th, 1982: "Number of the Beast"- Iron Maiden
February 27th, 1982: "Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden
March 6th 1982: "It's Only Love (Rock Remix)" - Elvis Presley ft. Kiss
March 13th 1982: "It's Only Love (Rock Remix)" - Elvis Presley ft. Kiss
March 20th, 1982: "Down Under" - Men at Work
March 27th, 1982: "Down Under" - Men at Work
April 3rd, 1982: "Africa" - Toto
April 10th, 1978: "Africa" - Toto
April 17th, 1982: "Africa" - Toto
April 24th, 1982: "Africa" - Toto
May 1st, 1982: "Africa" - Toto
May 8th, 1982: "I Love Rock and Roll" - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
May 15th, 1982: "I Love Rock and Roll" - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
May 22nd, 1982: "Better You Than Me" - Led Zeppelin
May 29th, 1982: "Always on My Mind" by Willie Nelson
June 5th, 1982: "Do You Believe in Love?" by Huey Lewis and the News
June 12th, 1982: "Sexual Healing"- Alan Thicke featuring Martin Gaye and Odell Brown
June 19th, 1982: "Sexual Healing"- Alan Thicke featuring Martin Gaye and Odell Brown
June 26th 1982: "Don't You Want Me" - The Human League
July 3rd,1982: "Don't You Want Me" - The Human League
July 10th, 1982: "Don't You Want Me" -The Human League
July 17th, 1982: "Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners
July 24th, 1982: "Come on Eileen"- Dexys Midnight Runners
July 31st, 1982: "Come on Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners
August 7th, 1982: "Only You" – Yazoo
August 14th, 1982: "Hot in the City"- Generation X
August 21st 1982: "Eye of the Tiger" – Survivor
August 28th, 1982: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
September 4th, 1982: "Space Age Love Song" by A Flock of Seagulls
September 11th, 1982: "Space Age Love Song" by A Flock of Seagull
September 18th 1982: "Nobody Told Me" - John Lennon and Jerry Garcia
September 25th, 1982: "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
October 2nd, 1982: "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
October 9th, 1982: "Valley Girl"- Frank Zappa and Moon Unit Zappa
October 16, 1982: "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
October 23rd, 1982: "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell ft. Michael Jackson
October 30th, 1982: "Boogie in Your Butt"- Eddie Murphy
November 6th 1982: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
November 13th 1982: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
November 20th 1982: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
November 27th, 1982: "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson
December 4th, 1982: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
December 11th, 1982: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
December 18th, 1982: "1999" by Prince
December 25th, 1982: "It Must Be Love" by Madness

Last edited:
I figure removing Piano Man (it can be said to have charted that week, but not at number one) and moving Men Down Under earlier and Joan Jett later would consolidate Toto pretty well. That said, if there's a foul-up with a missing week, it may have something to do with Jett having only one week; both I and Walkman gave her a week each. The rest of it looks fine from my (still limited) knowledge.