Alternate List of Billboard#1 Hits

And those changes are done. Meatloaf will need bumping up a bit when we re-do the year-end charts. I kept Ray Charles because, well, we already wanked Elvis and the Beatles a lot ITTL, so why not.

Next:

January 6th, 1979: "Le Freak" by Chic
January 13th, 1979: "YMCA" by The Village People
January 20th, 1979: "One Way or Another" by Blondie
January 27th, 1979: "The Logical Song" by Supertramp
February 3rd, 1978: "The Logical Song" by Supertramp
February 10th, 1979: "Too Much Heaven" by The Bee Gees
February 17th 1979: I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
February 24th 1979: "Blow Away" - The Beatles
March 3rd, 1979: "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits
March 10, 1979: "Sultans of Swing" - Dire Straits
March 17, 1979: "We've Still Got Magic" - Captain & Tennielle
March 24, 1979: "Tragedy" by The Bee Gees
]March 31st 1979: "Tragedy" - The Bee Gees
April 7, 1979: "Tragedy" - The Bee Gees
April 14, 1979 "We Are Family"- Sister Sledge
April 21, 1979: "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by McFadden and Whitehead
April 28, 1979 "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" by Bruce Springsteen
May 5th, 1979: "Hold the Line" by Toto
May 12th 1979: "Nothing Good About Goodbye" - Elvis Presley
May 19th, 1979: "Hold the Line" by Toto
May 26th, 1979: "Hold the Line" - Toto
June 2, 1979: "Hold the Line" - Toto
June 9th, 1979: "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind & Fire
June 16th 1979: "Dancing Barefoot" - Patti Smith Group
June 23rd 1979: "Are Friends Electric" - Gary Numan and the Tubeway Army
June 30, 1979: "I Was Made For Lovin' You" - KISS
July 7th, 1979: "Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione
July 14, 1979 "Chuck E.'s In Love" Rickie Lee Jones
July 21st, 1979: "Fins" by Jimmy Buffett
July 28th 1979, '(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman' - The Kinks
August 4th, 1979: "Born to be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez
August 11th, 1979: "Born to Be Alive" - Patrick Hernandez
August 18th, 1979: "Born to Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez
August 25th, 1979: "She Got Boom (Might I Have This Dance)" - Rick James
September 1st, 1979: "My Sharona" - The Knack
September 8th, 1979: "My Sharona" - The Knack
September 15th, 1979: "My Sharona" - The Knack
September 22nd, 1979: "My Sharona" - The Knack
September 29th, 1979: "My Sharona" - The Knack
October 6th, 1979: "Take The Long Way Home" by Supertramp
October 13th, 1979: "Bad Girls" - Donna Summer
October 20th, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" by Pink Floyd featuring Paul McCartney
October 27th, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" by Pink Floyd ft. Paul McCartney
November 3rd, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" - Pink Floyd feat. Paul McCartney
November 10th, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" - Pink Floyd featuring Paul McCartney
November 17th, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" - Pink Floyd feat. Paul McCartney
November 24th, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" - Pink Floyd feat. Paul McCartney
December 1st, 1979: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" by Pink Floyd feat. Paul McCartney.
December 8th, 1979: "Sara" by Fleetwood Mac
December 15th, 1979: "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson
December 22nd, 1979: "Moonraker"- Michael Jackson
December 29th, 1979: "Moonraker" by Michael Jackson

Honestly, I don't see much wrong with this. You could maybe put Toto's weeks together, but it doesn't seem pressing. On a related note, we might want to consider another thread for putting all the Year-End charts together; this one is impressively long as is.

Oh, and I now see that 1980 and onwards have to be compiled the hard way. Ay yi yi...

If butterflies count for anything, that'll force us to re-do stuff we've already done. If nothing else, someone will feel tempted to keep Bryan Wilson sane, the Beatles from disbanding, or Otis Redding from dying.

Yeah, true. Thinking about it, I imagine we could make only minor alterations, which wouldn't be very interesting.

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough could be replaced with a week for Moonraker but it hardly needs to be. Artists replace themselves as #1 from time to time (Macklemore did it just last year).

When we have all the lists done we can put them in finished timelines by the decade (meaning I could post the 70s today if people are cool with that), and then later add the other stuff we decide to work on (like little trivia bits, Grammys, Year-Ends, etc).

January 26th, 1974: "Forever Young" - Bob Dylan and The Band

A great song, but I think it's unlikely that it would've hit #1. Although "Planet Waves" stayed at #1 on the album chart for an entire month and it was roundly praised by critics, its singles performed modestly. "On a Night Like This" and "Something There Is About You" peaked at #44 and #107 on the Hot 100, respectively, and I would guess that it would chart similarly. I just don't think there's enough momentum, airplay, and publicity.

February 2nd, 1974: "Mt. Vernon" - Brian Wilson

Seems like a very unusual number one (go ahead and listen). Also, shouldn't this be credited to "The Beach Boys" and not Brian Wilson?

September 28th, 1974: "Brandy" by Barry Manilow

Typo or butterflies? In OTL his breakthrough hit was named "Mandy" (although this was actually a cover of a song called "Brandy" LOL).

November 16th, 1974: "Call on Me" by Chicago
December 28, 1974: "Wishing You Were Here" by Chicago

#1s that are only 6 weeks apart? Either "Call on Me" had an extremely late release and peak, or "Wishing You Were Here" is a #1 out of the blue.

December 7th, 1974 "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide"- David Bowie

Agreed that this probably wouldn't be a #1 (although it's a great song from a classic album). Maybe Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" hits #1 earlier in the year? Or butterflies change the singles' release dates and he gets some more momentum?

January 17th, 1976: "Over My Head" by Fleetwood Mac
January 24th, 1976: "Over My Head" - Fleetwood Mac

February 28th, 1975: "Rhiannon"-Fleetwood Mac

I love both of these songs, but they're a little close together -- in OTL, "Rhiannon" was released in February and peaked at #11 in June. Maybe hype around Fleetwood Mac leads to strong single sales, immediately pushing it to number one...? Otherwise I'd advocate for slashing "Rhiannon" (sorry Stevie) or placing its peak in the spring/summer.

Seems like a very unusual number one (go ahead and listen). Also, shouldn't this be credited to "The Beach Boys" and not Brian Wilson?

The hell did I just listen to? Okay, we need something in to replace that. I'm fairly ignorant of early 70's pop, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Typo or butterflies? In OTL his breakthrough hit was named "Mandy" (although this was actually a cover of a song called "Brandy" LOL).

Well, if it's a cover of a song named Brandy, then it seems like that problem solves itself. ;)

#1s that are only 6 weeks apart? Either "Call on Me" had an extremely late release and peak, or "Wishing You Were Here" is a #1 out of the blue.

A bit fishy, but stranger things have happened.

I love both of these songs, but they're a little close together -- in OTL, "Rhiannon" was released in February and peaked at #11 in June. Maybe hype around Fleetwood Mac leads to strong single sales, immediately pushing it to number one...? Otherwise I'd advocate for slashing "Rhiannon" (sorry Stevie) or placing its peak in the spring/summer.

I figured that Rhiannon just debuted at number one due to the buzz surrounding their album and their prior hit. 75-76 was their big pop breakthrough, after all.

As for the Dylan and Bowie songs, I figure we might as well split the difference, keeping one and replacing the other. Balances plausibility with flavor, and all that. Again, any suggestions for a replacement will be appreciated. Which one is more likely to take off, in your opinion?

I figured that Rhiannon just debuted at number one due to the buzz surrounding their album and their prior hit. 75-76 was their big pop breakthrough, after all.

Seems like a fair explanation.

As for the Dylan and Bowie songs, I figure we might as well split the difference, keeping one and replacing the other. Balances plausibility with flavor, and all that. Again, any suggestions for a replacement will be appreciated. Which one is more likely to take off, in your opinion?

Realistically, I'd say Bowie -- he simply enjoyed much, much more airplay and publicity than Dylan. (The flurry of #1s at the end of the year also makes sense, I think -- labels shoot for 4Q releases and generally the most singles were moved in this period because of Christmas sales).

As for some suggestions...

"Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone (one of the first Native American rock bands)

"I've Got to Use My Imagination" by Gladys Knight (a #1 soul single and it landed at #41 on the end of the year chart)

"Let Me Be There" by Olivia Newton John (#6 on the Hot 100, #26 on the year end chart, #1 on country, and she won the Grammy for Best Country Vocal Performance)

Seems like a fair explanation.
As for some suggestions...

"Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone (one of the first Native American rock bands)

"I've Got to Use My Imagination" by Gladys Knight (a #1 soul single and it landed at #41 on the end of the year chart)

"Let Me Be There" by Olivia Newton John (#6 on the Hot 100, #26 on the year end chart, #1 on country, and she won the Grammy for Best Country Vocal Performance)

I'd put my vote in for Redbone. "Come and Get Your Love" was the #6 song of 1974, and it never even reached #1.

Whoever posted Brandy said that it kept it's original name, so that's resolved.

There's already a couple years of butterflies, so Rhiannon can just come out earlier.

I've made those changes, picking Redbone and Olivia Newton-John. I'm a bit iffy about Redbone peaking two months earlier than OTL, though.

Should I put together 1980 now?

When we have all the lists done we can put them in finished timelines by the decade (meaning I could post the 70s today if people are cool with that), and then later add the other stuff we decide to work on (like little trivia bits, Grammys, Year-Ends, etc).

It seems like it might be a good idea to wait on putting this in finished timelines so that more people can have a chance to look over the lists - just look how long it took for us to notice that Mt. Vernon is, well...really out there? More perspectives are always good.

Last edited:
January 5th, 1980: "Refugee" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
January 12th, 1980: "Refugee" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
January 19th, 1980: "Refugee" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
January 26th, 1980: "Cars" by Gary Numan
February 2nd, 1980: "Don't Fall in Love With a Dreamer" by Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes
February 9th, 1980: "Cars" by Gary Numan
February 16th, 1980: "The Winner Takes It All" – ABBA
February 23rd, 1980: "Babooshka" by Kate Bush
March 1st, 1980: Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)- Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash
March 8th, 1980: "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen
March 15th, 1980: 'Night Owl' by Gerry Rafferty
March 22nd, 1980: "Call Me" by Stevie Nicks
March 29th 1980: "Free as a Bird" - The Beatles
April 5th 1980: "Free as a Bird" by The Beatles
April 12, 1980: "Tanzvergnugen" – Kraftwerk
April 19, 1980: "All Out of Love" by Air Supply
April 26th, 1980: "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang
May 3, 1980: "The Long Run" – Eagles
May 10th 1980: "She's Out of My Life" - Michael Jackson with the Beatles and Elvis Presley
May 17th, 1980: "Give Me the Night" by George Benson
May 24th, 1980: Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath
May 31, 1980: "C'mon A-My House (I Have Candy)" - Rick James feat. Rosemary Clooney
June 7th 1980: Theme From New York, New York - Frank Sinatra
June 14th, 1980: "Coming Up" - The Beatles
June 21st, 1980: "Coming Up" by The Beatles
June 28th 1980: "Suicide is Painless (Theme from M.A.S.H) – MASH
July 5th, 1980: "Coming Up"- The Beatles
July 12th, 1980: "Coming Up" by The Beatles
July 19th, 1980: "It's Still Rock n' Roll to Me" - Billy Joel
July 26th, 1980: "It's Still Rock n' Roll to Me" by Billy Joel
August 2nd, 1980: "It's Still Rock n' Roll to Me" - Billy Joel
August 9th 1980: Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie
August 16th, 1980: "Ashes to Ashes" by David Bowie
August 23rd, 1980: "Upside Down" - Diana Ross
August 30th, 1980: "Comfortably Numb"- Pink Floyd
September 6th, 1980: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen
September 13th, 1980: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen
September 20th, 1980: "Lightning in a Bottle"- Overload
September 27th 1980: "Another One Fights the Dust" – Queen
October 5th, 1980: "Another One Bites the Dust" – Queen
October 4th, 1980: "I'm Alright" by Kenny Loggins
October 11th, 1980: "Lady" by Kenny Rogers
October 18th, 1980: "Lady" by Kenny Rogers
October 25th, 1980: "Funkytown" - Lipps Inc
November 1st 1980: "I'm in Love" - John Lennon and Jerry Garcia
November 8th, 1980: "Turning Japanese" - The Vapors
November 15, 1980: "Turning Japanese" - The Vapors
November 22nd, 1980: "Turning Japanese" - The Vapors
November 29th, 1980: "Whip It" – Devo
December 6th, 1980: (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon and Jerry Garcia
December 13th, 1980: "(Just Like) Starting Over" - John Lennon and Jerry Garcia
December 20th, 1980: "All Along the Watchtower"- Overload
December 27th, 1980: "America" by Neil Diamond

There we two October 25ths, luckily the second one was the same song that was #1 on November 1st, so "I'm In Love" will only get one week.

I don't see any huge problems, John Lennon has two hits rather close together, but that seems minor. We could easily move a few songs in between the two to add some distance.

Last edited:
April 5th, 1975: "Happy People" by The Temptations

This song is a jam -- it just barely scraped the Top 40 of the pop charts (peaking at #40 in OTL), but it peaked at #1 on the Soul charts. Perhaps there's a little less inter-group chaos (in terms of changing members/producers) and tension within The Temptations from the POD onwards and one of the knock-on effects is that this charts much higher?

April 19, 1975: "Motorway" - Kraftwerk

An English language version of "Autobahn" is interesting, but the song sticks out like a sore thumb in the chart. It's an incredibly innovative song, but there's nothing like it on the radio (or in the charts) in America at the time. Would it have been able to power its way to #1? We're a year beyond the POD, so it's not improbable because of butterflies.

December 27, 1975: "Have A Cigar" - Pink Floyd

Good band, good song, but questionable #1 on the pop charts. This was actually released as a single in the U.S. in OTL, but it failed to chart.

'76 has a few oddballs, but nothing really out there, IMHO. Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking. I think that because we're only a few years on from the POD, the actors (i.e. radio DJs, record executives, producers, band members, and, of course, the public) who affect the variables (i.e. airplay, A&R/promo, production/instrumentation, composition, and the public's tastes) that, in turn, determine chart positions, will largely resemble OTL's at this point. A bevy of the songs that hit #1 in the 1-2 years after the POD had already been recorded (or were in some stage of production), the musicians and songwriters were already 'in place' (barring major events, like the Beatles reunion/Wings disbandment), and the individuals in charge of promotion at record labels were in the same position they would be in OTL. Because of this I think congruence between ATL's chart and OTL's chart during this period is only to be expected... but as we get farther and farther way from the Winter of '73, that will change. :D

EDIT:

Also, a thought about "Yesterday/Hey Jude (Live)" by the reunited Beatles hitting #1 -- who (as in which label) would release the single? I have no doubt that it would be a smart move to do so (there would be hysteria surrounding their reunion and a fortune could be made off of re-releasing older albums and the live singles), but the politics of it could get complicated.

EDIT 2 (LOL):

Actually, I answered my own question -- the Beatles were signed to Apple Records in '68, and after the band's dissolution, it released their solo works. I suppose it could release the live singles, too.

Last edited:
This song is a jam -- it just barely scraped the Top 40 of the pop charts (peaking at #40 in OTL), but it peaked at #1 on the Soul charts. Perhaps there's a little less inter-group chaos (in terms of changing members/producers) and tension within The Temptations from the POD onwards and one of the knock-on effects is that this charts much higher?

Hmm. Is there precedent for songs like it to do well, though? I think that may be the more important question, since like I said in a post a little ways back, we don't (and shouldn't, necessarily) have to enumerate all of the butterflies at work from our POD onwards. We only wrote up Event posts for highly specific stuff involving formation/dissolution of groups and similar, generally.

Good band, good song, but questionable #1 on the pop charts. This was actually released as a single in the U.S. in OTL, but it failed to chart.

It's odd, but it may be an important milestone in musical development ITTL, the same way Only Women Bleed is. There's a lot of hard and progressive rock in this timeline, and that needs to start somewhere. It sets up Blue Oyster Cult for next year, if nothing else. Again, there's probably secondary changes at work behind the scenes there, but more knowledgeable people than me would have a better idea of what that entails.

As for the 1980 list, it seems fine. That said, I feel a bit uneasy about "Man Machine". I put that in because Wikipedia said it was a working title for "Call Me", and I wanted to diverge a bit. Still, it's an awkward title, and I think just giving it to Stevie is enough of a change. Leaving it with its original name would probably have gotten it another week or two at the time, honestly. :eek:

Alright, changed "Man Machine" to "Call Me" for 1980. Now for 1981.

January 3rd, 1981: "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits
January 10th, 1981: "Don't Stand So Close to Me" by The Police
January 17th, 1981: "The Tide is High" by Blondie
January 24th, 1981: "Hungry Heart" - Bruce Springsteen
January 31st, 1981: "Tom Sawyer"- Rush
February 7th, 1981: "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
February 14th, 1981: "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
February 21st, 1981: "Tom Sawyer"- Rush
February 28th, 1981: "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
March 7th, 1981: "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
March 14th, 1981: "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
March 21st, 1981: "Kiss on My List" by Hall & Oates
March 28th, 1981: "Kiss on My List" - Hall & Oates
April 4th, 1981: "Once in a Lifetime" - Talking Heads
April 11th, 1981: "Once in a Lifetime" - Talking Heads
April 18th, 1981: "Once in a Lifetime" - Talking Heads
April 25th, 1981: "They Need Us"- Love for Africa
May 2nd, 1981: "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes
May 9, 1981: "Solace" - The Dark Horses
May 16th, 1981: "The Stroke" by Billy Squier
May 23rd, 1981: "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes
May 30th, 1981: "The Stroke" by Billy Squier
June 6th, 1981: "Theme from The Burning" by Rick Wakeman
June 13th 1981: "Woman" - John Lennon and Jerry Garcia ft. Yoko Ono
June 20th, 1981: "Why Don't You Love Me?" by Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison
June 27th, 1981: "Belinda" by Eurythmics
July 3rd 1981: In The Air Tonight- Genesis
July 10th 1981: In The Air Tonight – Genesis
July 17th, 1981: "In The Air Tonight" by Genesis
July 24th 1981: "Grow Old With Me" - John Lennon and Jerry Garcia
July 31st, 1981: "Urgent" – Foreigner
August 7th, 1981: "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar
August 14th, 1981: "Bella Donna" by Fleetwood Mac
August 21st, 1981: "Why'd She Do That" - The Bonkers
August 28th, 1981: "Bella Donna" by Fleetwood Mac
September 4th, 1981: "Burnin' for You"- Blue Oyster Cult
September 11th, 1981: "I Wish I Had That Girl" - Rick Springfield
September 18th 1981: "Lay All Your Love On Me" – ABBA
September 25th, 1981: "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It" by Stevie Wonder
October 2nd, 1981: "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It" by Stevie Wonder
October 9th 1981: "Kids In America - Kim Wilde"
October 16th, 1981: "Kids in America" - Kim Wilde
October 23rd 1981: "Tug of War" - The Dark Horses
October 30th, 1981: "Tug of War" - The Dark Horses
November 6th, 1981: "Tug of War" by The Dark Horses
November 13th, 1981: "Matte Kudasai" - King Crimson
November 20th, 1981: "Matte Kudasai" - King Crimson
November 27th, 1981: "We Got the Beat" by the Go-Go's
December 4th 1981 - "Under Pressure" - Queen and David Bowie
December 11th, 1981: "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie
December 18th, 1981: "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie
December 25th, 1981: "I Ran (So Far Away)" by A Flock of Seagulls

We could consolidate "Bette Davis Eyes" but that hardly seems like it's necessary. If we do, it also consolidates "The Stroke", so there's that.

Only Matte Kudasai really sticks out to me. I know prog rock is more successful ITTL, but the album it comes from wasn't.

Only Matte Kudasai really sticks out to me. I know prog rock is more successful ITTL, but the album it comes from wasn't.

It's possible the album does better and perhaps they release the version without the guitar (which is more popular) first instead of afterwards.

First time commenter.

there is a question that i want to ask, with the singers and bands created for this timeline e.g.Girls Generation , are you going to do stories describing their creation and story throughout the timetable, and if not can i suggest that we do in sort of a behind the music style of post.

First time commenter.

there is a question that i want to ask, with the singers and bands created for this timeline e.g.Girls Generation , are you going to do stories describing their creation and story throughout the timetable, and if not can i suggest that we do in sort of a behind the music style of post.

I was totally planning a few things, and a sort of "Behind the Music" thing is one of them. I'd love to explain the dynamics of this timeline's Dio, for example.

I thought Girls Generation had something to do with Girls Aloud, I swear they did a few songs of them.

Also I came up with an explanation for Jennifer Lawrence getting Rolling In The Deep which I'm fairly happy with.