Chapter I. Para Bellum
Jan Frans Vonck and his faction within the Austrian Netherlands, the Vonckists are arrested by austrian authorities, in the years leading up the 1789 Brabantine Revolution. Meanwhile, Henri Van Der Noot, is in exile in the Dutch City of Breda, and is amassing an army of Flemish and Brabantine exiles to march and retake their home from the Austrians. He’s successfully convinced William V, the Dutch Statdhouder, to lend the Belgian rebels aid, when their time for rebellion comes, in return for declaring one of his sons, Prince Frederik of Orange, Stadthouder of the Belgian Provinces. With Vonck and his radical liberals out of the way, the traditionalist Van Der Noot, is seen as the face of the Belgian movement, which strikes a cord with the new King of Prussia, Friedrich Wilhelm II, who is staunchly opposed to the Enlightenment Ideals of his father, the late Friedrich II, otherwise known as the Great. Friedrich Wilhelm, would promise to publicly pledge support for Rebels, when the time came, in the hopes of greatly weakening the Austrians. Now, with a professionally trained army at his disposal, Henri Van Der Noot sets off to liberate his homeland

Chapter II. Ink and Gunpowder
On the 24th of , 1789, Van Der Noot, and his army of a few thousand cross into the Austrian Netherlands, liberating the village of Hoogstraten, which is where the Manifesto of the People of Brabant would be read, and the Southern Netherlands declared independent from Austria. The Belgians unexpectedly destroy the Austrian Army at Turnhout, which sends shockwaves across the provinces, leading to a unilateral collapse of the Austrian System. By 1790, the last Austrian forces are driven from the Citadel of Luxembourg, and the Belgian Provinces fully liberated, with full support from Prussia and the Dutch Republic. Fearing another costly war with the Prussians, Austrian Emperor Leopold II would recognise the independence of the newly established United Belgian States in the treaty of Antwerpen. Following independence, representatives of the five Belgian provinces Brabant, Vlaanderen, Henegouwen, Namen, and Luxembourg meet in Brussels to draft a constitution, known as the “Treaty of Union.” The treaty established a form of governance which drew heavily from the Dutch Republic. Prince Frederik of Orange would be unanimously elected the first Stadthouder of Belgium, a year later in 1791, and Henri Van Der Noot serving as Grand Pensionary. Meanwhile, in neighbouring France, massacres led by the Radical Liberal Maximilian Robespierre, would lead to purges of remaining Vonckists within the provinces, ironically coming to the known as “Statist Terror.”

Chapter III. Coalition
Less than two years after its independence was established, Belgium would once again find itself at war with a great European Power, joining the rest of Europe in a Coalition against the newly established French Republic. By 1794, Belgium would be annexed into France Proper, with the government fleeing into exile, first to the Dutch Republic, and then again relocating to London. The rest of the napoleonic wars would go as in our own time line, until the Congress of Vienna, where the map of Europe is reverted back to 1791, with Belgium barely making the cutoff. As compensation, and to bulk it up into a substantial buffer state, Belgium would be awarded the Grand Bishopric of Luik, and The Duchy of Limburg, connecting the Province of Luxembourg with the rest of the country. As 1815 comes to pass, Belgium stands at a crossroads. To the north, the Brother of the Belgian Stadthouder, who wouldnt mind seeing Belgium fall under his dominion, to the south, a large yet relatively unstable France, where the slightest breeze might bring down the work done by the Coalition, and to the West, and increasingly Militarist and expansionist Prussia. The only question is, in which direction will she turn?​

Howdy! I’m the author, and this is my first time posting to this forum, so you’ll have to forgive me if its not formatted the best or something. Im always looking for open discussions or constructive criticisms surrounding my scenarios, so please feel free to pick it apart, since i want it to be as realistic as possible!

Hey this is actually quite the interesting idea, is Belgium still dominated by french elites in this timeline? I can imagine a Flemish dominated Belgium having a hard time keeping control of it's richest walloon provinces if France becomes hostile to it.

I know way to little about the Brabantine Revolution so this is quite interesting indeed. The rebels crushing the Austrian Army sounds a bit implausible though - considering what happned in the Patriotic Revolution. I think these events will have more of an effect on the Revolutionary Wars than portraited. If Prussia is supporting the Belgian rebels there is no way Austria and Prussia willl ally against France two years later.

Hey this is actually quite the interesting idea, is Belgium still dominated by french elites in this timeline? I can imagine a Flemish dominated Belgium having a hard time keeping control of it's richest walloon provinces if France becomes hostile to it.
The elite in both parts of Belgium would most certainly have spoken French, so there would not have been a Flemish dominated Belgium at the time. The situation will stand this way (more or less) until the First World War. At this time, the emphasis on the use of Dutch (or rather various dialects of Flemish) comes from a stance adopted by some Flemish-speaking Belgians, claiming the French-speaking officers were not understood by the soldiers. They easily forget that, at the same time, Walloons were not speaking French but various dialects of Walloon and have the same difficulty with French as the Dutch-speaking people.

This would not preclude a divergent path to be taken.

OTL: During the end of the 18th century, France exerted a huge influence, so that French was recognized as the diplomatic language spoken nearly everywhere in Europe up to Moscow. It was used by many of the aristocracy of Flanders as the primary language.