Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Not a combat aircraft per se, but I have apparently been infected by the the insanity inspired by @cortz#9 :
Behold, the Hughes Twin Hercules. Because who doesn't need enough wingspan to launch other aircraft off of?
twin-goose.png

Base image

The Taylorcraft TC-35 Medium Bomber and Variants from TL-191
Taylorcraft TC-34 CSAF.png

A Taylorcraft TC-34T-1 from the CSAF's Bomber School near Huntsville Alabama, C. early 1942.
Taylorcraft TC-34 SAAF.png

A South African Air Force TC-35C-3 from the 12 Bomber Squadron in the East African Front, C. 1941.
Taylorcraft TC-34 SCW.png

A Nationalist TC-35A-1 from the 29th Bomber Squadron during the Spanish Civil War, C. 1937.

Fighter Jets for a Byzantine empire or Rhomania which had some good luck in surviving.

Attachments

• Byzantine_airforce_in_F86_jets.jpg
    Byzantine_airforce_in_F86_jets.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Byzantine_airforce_in_F86_jets1.jpg
    Byzantine_airforce_in_F86_jets1.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Byzantine_airforce_in_F86_jets2.jpg
    Byzantine_airforce_in_F86_jets2.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 92
Upcoming in my Paths TL

The Fokker D.XVII is best known for its use in the German Imperial Air Force and the the Royal Netherlands Air Force, however the country who actually put the Fokker D. XVIII in to action when it was new was the Empire of Mexico. In 1930 Maximillian III of Mexico would order 500 Fokker D. XVIII for the Imperial Mexican Airforce. These aircraft would be built in both the Netherlands and Germany and shipped to Mexico via Veracruz. They would arrive between June of 1931 and August of 1932, fully replacing the Avia BH-17's that had made up the Mexican Fighter Squadrons. These along with the Gotha G.XVI Bombers would make up the bulk of the Mexican Imperial Air Force's combat strength during the War of 1933.

Imperial mexican Airforce Fokker D.XVIII.png

Upcoming in my Paths TL

The Fokker D.XVII is best known for its use in the German Imperial Air Force and the the Royal Netherlands Air Force, however the country who actually put the Fokker D. XVIII in to action when it was new was the Empire of Mexico. In 1930 Maximillian III of Mexico would order 500 Fokker D. XVIII for the Imperial Mexican Airforce. These aircraft would be built in both the Netherlands and Germany and shipped to Mexico via Veracruz. They would arrive between June of 1931 and August of 1932, fully replacing the Avia BH-17's that had made up the Mexican Fighter Squadrons. These along with the Gotha G.XVI Bombers would make up the bulk of the Mexican Imperial Air Force's combat strength during the War of 1933.

View attachment 847088
Interesting. What did the CSA think of their ally buying planes from an enemy? Not that there was probably anything they could about it.

In TTL with out the Freedom party to send men to mexico in their civil war the Mexican Imperialist got aid from Austria and Germany. Mexico and the CSA have not been allied since the start of the Civil War

Upcoming in my Paths TL

Hughes Thunder Bird HB-10 (numeric designation may change)
Hughes HB-11 Thunderbird.gif

In 1936 the Confederate Army Air Corps (1) issued requirements for a new light bomber to support its attack aircraft in the ground support role. The new bomber would need to be able to carry a minimum of 1,200 pounds of bombs have a range of 1,100 miles and reach a speed of at least 200 mph. The Hughes Aircraft Company based out of Fort Worth Texas submitted the Hughes Model 358 a three engine twin boom bomber, that carried 2,000 pound's of bombs in its internal bomb bays one in each boom plus an additional 1,000 pounds of bombs if the external centerline hard points were used for bombs (this cut the base range down to 1,200 miles) , with a range of 2,400 miles and reach a speed of 325 mph. The range could be lengthened to 3,500 mile if two external fuel tanks were mounted on the centerline hardpoints. In June of 1937 the CSAAC would place an order for a production run of 500 aircraft. Once the second great war had begun the CSAAC would place and additional order for 2,500 of the bomber. The Confederate States Air Force would also place an order of 1,000 aircraft to supplement its strategic bombing squadrons while more heavy bombers were built.

The HB-10 would prove to be a very agile bomber and could dog fight with with some fighters. This would lead to a heavy fighter version of the plane that had a solid nose that was armed with 2 37mm rotary cannon, and eight 0.8 caliber machine guns

(1) In this time line the Confederate States Army keeps its own Aviation arm the Confederate States Army Air Corps that focused on ground support, as well as maintaining a few fighter squadrons.

Last edited:
Upcoming in my Paths TL

Hughes Thunder Bird HB-10 (numeric designation may change)
View attachment 847168
In 1936 the Confederate Army Air Corps (1) issued requirements for a new light bomber to support its attack aircraft in the ground support role. The new bomber would need to be able to carry a minimum of 1,200 pounds of bombs have a range of 1,100 miles and reach a speed of at least 200 mph. The Hughes Aircraft Company based out of Fort Worth Texas submitted the Hughes Model 358 a three engine twin boom bomber, that carried 2,000 pound's of bombs in its internal bomb bays one in each boom plus an additional 1,000 pounds of bombs if the external centerline hard points were used for bombs (this cut the base range down to 1,200 miles) , with a range of 2,400 miles and reach a speed of 325 mph. The range could be lengthened to 3,500 mile if two external fuel tanks were mounted on the centerline hardpoints. In June of 1937 the CSAAC would place an order for a production run of 500 aircraft. Once the second great war had begun the CSAAC would place and additional order for 2,500 of the bomber. The Confederate States Air Force would also place an order of 1,000 aircraft to supplement its strategic bombing squadrons while more heavy bombers were built.

The HB-10 would prove to be a very agile bomber and could dog fight with with some fighters. This would lead to a heavy fighter version of the plane that had a solid nose that was armed with 2 37mm rotary cannon, and eight 0.8 caliber machine guns

(1) In this time line the Confederate States Army keeps its own Aviation arm the Confederate States Army Air Corps that focused on ground support, as well as maintaining a few fighter squadrons.
Very cool. I'm very fond of three engine aircraft and have done a few of them myself.

Thanks I've always like the Italian 3 engine bombers but hated the compromised position of the bomb aimer. However if the third engine is a pusher then there isn't an issue with that.
I think I did a similar design a while back, might have even been for one of the TL-191 threads but the ole memory aint what it used to be.