Alternate Great Vowel Shift

Certain aspects of English phonology bother me from a purely aesthetic perspective, and I'm wondering whether they could have been butterflied away with a 16c POD.

Namely, the Great Vowel Shift wasn't completely symmetric. In the front vowels, the Middle English vowels shifted /aɪ ɛː eː iː/ > /eɪ iː iː aɪ/ and then /aː/ > /eː/ > /eɪ/; in the back, they shifted /aʊ ɔː oː uː/ > /ɔː oʊ uː aʊ/. The changes to the high vowels (/iː uː/ > /aɪ aʊ/) were inevitable, and happened also in Dutch and German, and having the mid-high vowels fill in (/eː oː/ > /iː uː/, whence the present-day pronunciation of ee and oo) is also natural. But in the other Germanic languages, there was no creation of a new low back phoneme like /ɔː/ (spelled au), and the long a vowel stayed in place, without shifting as in English.

Could something more symmetric have happened? What I imagine is that i-e, ee, ou, and oo are pronounced as in OTL; both mid-high vowels shift like oa, i.e. /ɛː ɔː/ > /eː oː/ > /eɪ oʊ/, so that sea is merged with say and not with see; /aʊ/ > /oʊ/ mirroring earlier /aɪ/ > /eɪ/, so that caught merges with coat and tall merges with toll; and /aː/ is left alone, so that the words late, pane, name, and sale are pronounced with the same vowel as father.

In the short vowels, what I'd like is to avoid that awful /ʊ/ > /ʊ, ʌ/ split, which makes it impossible to figure out how a short u is pronounced. Is it put, or putt? But that's easy enough - evidently, Northern England resisted this monstrosity entirely.

If the triple merger of /eʊ iʊ y/ (spelled ew and u-e) into /juː/ could be replaced with a merger into /eʊ/, then all the better. But the diphthong /eʊ/ is cross-linguistically rare, even more so than /ɔɪ/, which managed to survive, so this may be asking too much.

The resulting vowel space would be more stable, and avoid the various mergers between short and long vowels that we see in American English (father ~ bother universally west of Boston, cot ~ caught in most accents). There would be five short stressed vowels, each with a long counterpart, as in German without the umlauts; the long mid vowels, spelled ea and oa, would be diphthongs, pronounced the same as ai and au. There would be four additional diphthongs, /aʊ aɪ/ and the less common /ɔɪ eʊ/.

Certain aspects of English phonology bother me from a purely aesthetic perspective, and I'm wondering whether they could have been butterflied away with a 16c POD.

Namely, the Great Vowel Shift wasn't completely symmetric. In the front vowels, the Middle English vowels shifted /aɪ ɛː eː iː/ > /eɪ iː iː aɪ/ and then /aː/ > /eː/ > /eɪ/; in the back, they shifted /aʊ ɔː oː uː/ > /ɔː oʊ uː aʊ/. The changes to the high vowels (/iː uː/ > /aɪ aʊ/) were inevitable, and happened also in Dutch and German, and having the mid-high vowels fill in (/eː oː/ > /iː uː/, whence the present-day pronunciation of ee and oo) is also natural. But in the other Germanic languages, there was no creation of a new low back phoneme like /ɔː/ (spelled au), and the long a vowel stayed in place, without shifting as in English.

Could something more symmetric have happened? What I imagine is that i-e, ee, ou, and oo are pronounced as in OTL; both mid-high vowels shift like oa, i.e. /ɛː ɔː/ > /eː oː/ > /eɪ oʊ/, so that sea is merged with say and not with see; /aʊ/ > /oʊ/ mirroring earlier /aɪ/ > /eɪ/, so that caught merges with coat and tall merges with toll; and /aː/ is left alone, so that the words late, pane, name, and sale are pronounced with the same vowel as father.

In the short vowels, what I'd like is to avoid that awful /ʊ/ > /ʊ, ʌ/ split, which makes it impossible to figure out how a short u is pronounced. Is it put, or putt? But that's easy enough - evidently, Northern England resisted this monstrosity entirely.

If the triple merger of /eʊ iʊ y/ (spelled ew and u-e) into /juː/ could be replaced with a merger into /eʊ/, then all the better. But the diphthong /eʊ/ is cross-linguistically rare, even more so than /ɔɪ/, which managed to survive, so this may be asking too much.

The resulting vowel space would be more stable, and avoid the various mergers between short and long vowels that we see in American English (father ~ bother universally west of Boston, cot ~ caught in most accents). There would be five short stressed vowels, each with a long counterpart, as in German without the umlauts; the long mid vowels, spelled ea and oa, would be diphthongs, pronounced the same as ai and au. There would be four additional diphthongs, /aʊ aɪ/ and the less common /ɔɪ eʊ/.

So you want a English great vowel shift to be more like the German and Dutch one, IE: keeping the short-long vowel difference instead of inventing like 8 totally new vowels?

So you want a English great vowel shift to be more like the German and Dutch one, IE: keeping the short-long vowel difference instead of inventing like 8 totally new vowels?

Sort of. I mean, British English still has a short-long vowel difference, and I don't mind that the new long E and O sounds (as in bate and boat, not as in beet and boot) are diphthongs, where in German and Dutch they're monophthongs. What I mind is that Middle English ea and ee merged, and the low back vowel space got so crowded that American English started merging short and long vowels.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article One

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article Two

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

/unɪˈvɛɹsəl dəkləˈɹɑʃən əv ˈhumən ɹaɪts

ˈaɹtɪkəl oʊn

oʊl ˈhumən ˈbi.ɪŋz aɹ bɔɹn fɹi ən ˈeɪkwəl ɪn ɹaɪts ən ˈdɪgnɪti. ðeɪ aɹ ənˈdaʊd wɪð ˈɹeɪzən ən ˈkɔnʃəns ən ʃʊd akt tuˈwɔrdz oʊn əˈnʊðəɹ wɪð ə ˈspɪɹɪt əv ˈbɹʊðəɹhud.

ˈaɹtɪkəl tu

'ɛvɹi.oʊn ɪz ənˈtaɪtəld tu oʊl ðə ɹaɪts ən 'fridəmz sɛt fɔɹθ ɪn ðɪs dəkləˈɹɑʃən, wɪðˈaʊt dɪsˈtɪŋkʃən ɔv ˈani kaɪnd, sʊt͡ʃ əz rɑs, ˈkʊləɹ, sɛks, ˈlɑngwəd͡ʒ, ɹəˈlɪd͡ʒən, pəˈlɪtɪkəl əɹ ˈʊðəɹ əˈpɪnjən, ˈnaʃənəl əɹ ˈsoʊʃəl ˈɔrɪd͡ʒɪn, ˈpɹɔpəɹti, bɪɹθ əɹ ˈʊðəɹ 'stɑtəs. ˈfʊɹðəɹmɔɹ, noʊ dɪsˈtɪŋkʃən ʃal bi mɑd ɔn ðə ˈbɑsɪs əv ðə pəˈlɪtɪkəl, d͡ʒəɹɪsˈdɪkʃənəl əɹ ɪntəɹˈnaʃənəl ˈstɑtəs əv ðə ˈkʊntɹi ər ˈtɛɹɪˌtɔɹi tu wɪt͡ʃ ə ˈpɛɹsən bɪˈlɔŋz, ˈwɛðəɹ ɪt bi ɪndəˈpɛndənt, tɹʊst, nɔn-sɛlf-ˈgʊvərnɪŋ ər ˈʊndəɹ ˈani ˈʊðəɹ lɪmɪˈtɑʃən ɔv ˈsɔvɹənti./

This takes sentential stress into account: in isolation, <and> is pronounced /and/, <a> is pronounced /ɑ/, <of> is pronounced <ɔv>, <the> is pronounced <ði>, <or> is pronounced <ɔɹ>, and <as> is pronounced <az>.

Last edited:
So it is the second phase you want to change?
The 'pedia suggest that c16C there were 4 different mergers of the front long vowels in play for "meet meat day mate" and the UK ended up with No4
1) /iː/ /ɛː/ /ɛː/ /æː/
2) /iː/ /eː/ /eː/ /eː/
3) /iː/ /eː/ /ɛː/ /ɛː/
4) /iː/ /iː/ /eː/ /eː/

Yep, very much the second phase. I consider the first phase inevitable, given how crowded the Middle English vowel space was.