So, if The Netherlands manage to keep Belgium in 1830, is it plausible that they will set up new colonies, especially in Africa or Asia? The Dutch king William I wanted to make The Netherlands a great power again, and he knew that he needed (more) colonies for that.

For example: is it maybe possible that the Dutch will set up a colony near the Cape Colony in Namibia? Or set up a new colony something else?

So, if The Netherlands manage to keep Belgium in 1830, is it plausible that they will set up new colonies, especially in Africa or Asia? The Dutch king William I wanted to make The Netherlands a great power again, and he knew that he needed (more) colonies for that.

For example: is it maybe possible that the Dutch will set up a colony near the Cape Colony in Namibia? Or set up a new colony something else?
Well, I guess New Zealand would still be possible (it was named by the Dutch, after all). Patagonia would work too, as that hadn't been settled by the Chileans and Argentines yet.

Well, I guess New Zealand would still be possible (it was named by the Dutch, after all). Patagonia would work too, as that hadn't been settled by the Chileans and Argentines yet.
Maybe the Argentines invade Dutch Patagonia in the name of retaking rightful Argentine territory instead of the Falklands?

More seriously though I could see the expanding their control over the east Indies to a greater degree, and maybe holding onto more of their colonies (they sold a few OTL) rather than try to nab any new ones. Though they may be given the Congo or some other bits occassionally.

IOTL the Dutch controlled Ghana (at least the coast of it) but lost interest after the abolition of slavery and finally sold it to the British. You could certainly have them take more of an interest in West Africa and maybe even a dominant role there.

As I've suggested elsewhere, when the Voortrekkers who migrated from the Cape Colony to Natal reach out to the Dutch monarchy proposing a protectorate, the Dutch could answer the mail and set one up, getting back in business in South Africa.

IOTL the Dutch controlled Ghana (at least the coast of it) but lost interest after the abolition of slavery and finally sold it to the British. You could certainly have them take more of an interest in West Africa and maybe even a dominant role there.
Checks out. Most of west africa was for specific political goals (glory and god specifically,) while the Dutch were less prone to that "if I can, why not" thought in their empire

More generally I suspect the eastern cape or Madagascar will be on the cards for the purpose of controlling indonesia

The most likely colonies for the Dutch, with a POD around the 1832 would be Dutch Gold coast and expansion around the DEI, so more of Borneo, more of New Guinea. Maybe small parts of Oceania, especialy close to the DEI. I don't think they would have any interestin anything else. Don't forget that around the 19th century most of the Dutch East Indies was not yet under full Dutch control.

Willem I basicly decided to focus mostly on the DEI as is evident with the Anglo-Dutch treaty in which the Dutch traded Dutch India and Dutch Malaysia for British Indonesia. This happened just before the Belgian revolt.

Last edited:
Yeah? Won’t this mean war with Britain?
If Britain really wants to go that far, I suppose it can. But at the time it would happen, I think circa the 1840s, it is not like the the Dutch would be trying take something back from the British, like the Cape Colony, just claim terra nullius (Europeanis). And it's not like anyone knew there were gold and diamonds further inland in what became Transvaal yet either. Besides, if Britain wouldn't go to war over an Orange River/Namibia colony, why over a Natal protectorate?

The Dutch already had Taiwan, but it would be interesting if they settled it more and held onto it.
If we use an earlier POD there are loads of possibilities. Dutch Taiwan, Dutch India, Dutch Sri Lanka, Dutch Malaysia, Dutch South Africa, Dutch Brasil, Dutch Tobago, Dutch Virgin Islands, Dutch Mauritius, Dutch Angola, Dutch New York and New Jersey. And that's just the places the Dutch actualy controled at one point in time. There are several other possibilties of places the Dutch could have colonies, like Dutch Australia.

With a POD after 1830, the Netherlands is significantly more limited. It was significantly less strong than it was in the 17th century (even with all of Belgium* Dutch). A lot of places are already colonised or claimed by stronger powers like Great Britain. So what is left? Dutch Indonesia, Dutch Antilles, Dutch Guyana and Dutch Gold Coast. And large portion of the Dutch Gold Coast and Indonesia were barely under Dutch control (or indeed as mentioned explored). It will cost quite a lot already for the Netherlands to completely control those and it probably will cost enough resources than most ideas mentioned here are out of the question.

*Assuming Dutch Belgium would actualy a boon and not a drain of resources and unrest.

After 1830, Dutch options are more limited. However, Belgium was a massive industrial powerhouse that might have compelled this big Netherlands to take a more active part on imperialism.

The obvious targets are Gold Coast, expanding inwards from there. Another beachhead in Africa, maybe even at the mouth of Congo River. In Asia, they might want to keep the enclaves in India, engulf the whole New Guinea and Borneo, concessions in China, some incursions in Korea.

If Britain really wants to go that far, I suppose it can. But at the time it would happen, I think circa the 1840s, it is not like the the Dutch would be trying take something back from the British, like the Cape Colony, just claim terra nullius (Europeanis). And it's not like anyone knew there were gold and diamonds further inland in what became Transvaal yet either. Besides, if Britain wouldn't go to war over an Orange River/Namibia colony, why over a Natal protectorate?
Well because the British were working on the annexation of Natalia when it offered to become a Dutch colony. So if the Dutch prevented this British annexation, the British could force the Dutch to leave.

Also an European middle power in Southern Africa, a possible British concurrent, would feel other than a independent republic which could never be a great threat to the British.

As I've suggested elsewhere, when the Voortrekkers who migrated from the Cape Colony to Natal reach out to the Dutch monarchy proposing a protectorate, the Dutch could answer the mail and set one up, getting back in business in South Africa.
It is also interesting: what will happen with the other Boer Republics IF the Dutch propose a protectorate and IF this is accepted by the British.

It is also interesting: what will happen with the other Boer Republics IF the Dutch propose a protectorate and IF this is accepted by the British.
1) Voortrekkers stop moving north, OFS and Transvaal remain native until they become part of a 'Rhodesia' - unlikely
2) Transvaal and OFS are set up, and are either uninterested in Dutch protection, or the British lay down the law, telling the Dutch to not "go overboard" extending protection to these interior Republics
3) British tell the Dutch and Boers - knock yourselves out for all we care. Cape Colony, love it or leave it. We're just here for the route to India. And they tolerate in the middle 19th century any political deals the Boers and Dutch make with each other. Maybe they regret this later with discovery of mineral wealth. Maybe they contrive a way to steal the land, or maybe they leave Dutch and Boer sovereignty formally intact, but do compel these lands into their informal economic empire with an iron vise-like grip.