Alternate Characters of TL-191

As anyone who has read any of the TL-191 books knows, Turtledove focuses on the American side of the wars much more than Canada, CSA, or any countries of Europe and Asia. I've been plannin on writing a story from the view of a Canadian soldier in WW1. I think there must be others on this site who are thinkin the same thing, so this thread is for anyone who wants to post a story or biography of someone not from the books, or you want to follow a secondary character further.

Last edited:
Nice! Im thinking of writing from a German or Austro-Hungarian PoV, maybe on the latter, make things really interesting :D

I might write something from the PoV of a soldier in the Second Great War's Eastern Front. Central Powers, but neither the Germans nor the Austrians.

what we really need is a japanese POV they need more focus in his books
This is off topic but he should have had an Arab POV in colonization, the middle east is were every exciting thing is happening in those books

Last edited:

MacCaulay

Banned
I've been plannin on writing a story from the view of a Canadian soldier in WW1.

That would be a depressing story...

I always thought that a short story called Tsingtao Station, on the ordeal of the German Pacific Squadron in that history, would be interesting. Instead of trying to get to Germany, they decide to sail across the Central Pacific to San Francisco.

looks like alot of people have great ideas, I can't wait to read them.
I've been rereadin the great war series to get reaquainted with the Northern Front with my story

Since I'll be doing a European PoV, I'm just looking up OTL WWI references, and I've decided on a Croatian serving in the K.u.K. armed forces...I still haven't decided if it's the Serbian Front or the Eastern Front...hopefully I'll have something up tonight :)

I really like MacCaulay's suggestion, a German PoV in the Central Pacific, I'm not familiar with what happened to Germany's Pacific Fleet in OTL, but I would love to hear that PoV...it'd be funny if it were from a German analogue to Sam Carsten :p

Could someone do a story from the point of an Ottoman solider in the Caucasus I would but I'm not a good writer.

here's my first post:

Corporal William Pierse looked across the Detroit River towards the fortifications on the American side. Everyone was tense and the suspense of the coming conflict loomed over the entire country. Pierse could see green-gray soldiers moving in Detroit between pillboxes and in the trenches that snaked across the shore in both directions. Both countries had been preparing for the fight since the Second-Mexican War. Well we won’t have to wait any longer he thought.
Joseph Rickards, a new private fresh from training, snapped William from his thoughts. “Look, there’s one of their battleships.” Sure enough, a large ship, large for the Great Lakes, was steaming up the river. Guns much larger than anything the Canadian Army had nearby gleamed deadly in the sun.
“We’re goin to have a hell of a time fightin with those poundin us, hopefully someone’s thought of that and has a solution.” With the knowledge that he didn’t have anything to hurt the battleship, Pearse sat back down in his trench and began to sharpen his bayonet.
Sure enough, two weeks later the American’s artillery opened up on the Canadian’s fortified positions. Pearse bent over as he ran to a dugout, and jumped in on top of three soldiers already taking cover inside. Sure enough, a much louder explosion nearby made William curse to himself, there’s the battleship makin itself known. The Lieutenant nearby blew his whistle, and everyone ran to the firing steps. Already barges filled the river, and Canadian machine guns opened up on them from pillboxes. A cheer went up as three of the barges hit mines in the river, pieces of men in green-gray flying into the air and into the river. Another round from the battleship roared by and crashed into a pillbox, which ceased to exist.
The barges wallowed up onto shore, soldiers piling out and many getting cut down by rifle and machine gun fire. Some jumped into shell holes on the beach and began to fire back at the defenders of Windsor. Pearse worked the bolt of his Ross rifle, firing over and over into the ever-growing mass of Americans on the beach. He took aim at the driver of a barge coming in and pulled the trigger. The sailor slumped to the side, pulling the boat’s wheel with him. Another sailor struggled to move the body, but it was too late. The boat spun to the left and hit ground on its starboard side, soldiers jumped out, but with the ramp pointing down river, not many got off.
Pearse had no time to cheer before a wave of Yanks rushed the trench, yelling and shooting. The Lewis gun to his right opened up, toppling many, but not enough. An American jumped down into the trench right next to Pearse who spun and lunged his bayonet at the Canadian. William parried and stabbed with his own bayonet, catching the Yank in the chest. He fell with a gurgle, and Pearse pulled his rifle from the corpse, but his bayonet stuck into the body. William spun to face another charging American in time to parry his attack and to end him with a rifle strike to the forehead.
Pearse grabbed his bayonet just as the order to fall back was called. Canadian soldiers streamed back down communication trenches back to their second line of defense. Pearse turned to watch as the battleship, that had caused so much pain to the defenders, hit a mine mid-ship and began to sink. Some sailors on deck managed to get away, but most went down with the quickly sinking ship. Another cheer went up from the retreating Canadians, Pearse almost smiled as he fell back. We may be retreating, but they haven’t won yet.

Last edited:
Could someone do a story from the point of an Ottoman solider in the Caucasus I would but I'm not a good writer.

Neither's Turtledove, but that doesn't stop him.

I was going to start my PoV in WW1, but I realized that the war in Eastern Europe was pretty much the same as IOTL until 1917. So, I'll hold until other plots reach that time.

After this one, i'm thinking about doing a Mexican soldier in the Veracruz Division, so we can get another look at the civil war then the battle of pittsburgh from a Mexican POV

Polish, go ahead and post it might be sometime before mine reaches that point

Icy winds cut through the khaki wool long johns, tunic, overcoat, trousers, and blanket William Pearse wore. The trench he sat in was far from the Detroit River where he started the war. The Yanks had pushed the Canadian and British Armies back to London, Ontario. In the East, the United States Army broke one defensive line after another, leaving thousands of dead bodies in green-gray and khaki across the Niagara Peninsula. Rumors were going around saying the Canadians would have to pull back from London eventually if the Yanks broke through the last few defensive lines on the Niagara front. Pearse hoped they were false, or at least they wouldn’t come true. So far the only good news is that the Yanks weren’t further north.
Pearse walked down the trench, moving to keep warm. Snow mixed with the loose dirt to fill the bottom of the trench with mud that tried to suck his boot off and caked over his puttees. He struggled with each step, but managed to warm up from the work by the time he stopped to see what the company cook was making. Already a few of the men were standing around waiting for food and warming themselves by the fire.
“Remember to stay warm boys; you don’t want to let the winter kill you before the Yanks try again.” Some of the soldiers smiled or laughed at the grim joke, knowing all to well that both could kill any of them. The regiment had seen enough death and destruction on the slow retreat deeper into Ontario. Many of the men who Pearse had served with in Windsor just a few months ago were gone, replaced by boys just out of training and men from conscription classes older than his.
Jonathan Baker, a former Métis trader from somewhere near Hudson Bay, was the best cook the battalion had. He was a good scavenger and always seemed to find something good in the surrounding countryside. He handed Pearse and the others around the fire a cup full of steaming stew, they all nodded in thanks and smiled as they ate.
An explosion ripped the cup from Pearse’s hands. He and the others dived against the trench wall and down bends of the trench. Trench mortars fell around the cooking fire for another few minutes then suddenly stopped. Pearse returned to help the wounded, Harrison had been hit with shrapnel in the side, and Brown just had scratches. A mortar had landed at Jonathan Baker’s feet, and there wasn’t much left of him except for his boots and puttees. That was the last good meal we’ll be having for awhile Pearse thought.