alternate capital for Argentina (ctd.)

The following is from an old thread (edit: the link to that is https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternate-capital-for-argentina.439186/):

As for location, Rosario seems a good one. The third largest city of Argentina, mostly independent from its province and located in a favorable climate with access to the Paraná and Rio de La Plata and the Pampas region. It was never considered as a capital as far as I know, but I believe some Rosarinos have raised the idea of becoming an Autonomous City like Buenos Aires, since they feel their province (Santa Fe) does not pay attention to them.

On three occasions (in 1868, 1869, and 1873), Rosario was declared the federal capital by the Argentine government, only for the president to veto it each time. In fact, to this day, the main newspaper in Rosario is known as La Capital.

In addition, some small towns in that general part of Argentina (or heading from there towards the city of Cordoba) were considered around that time for that purpose but ultimately rejected. These include Fraile Muerto (present-day Bell Ville, just inside Cordoba Prov.) and Villa Maria (somewhat deeper inside Cordoba Prov., and declared as federal capital in 1871 by the government before being vetoed by the president).

Just wondering: If Rosario were the federal capital to this day, would that have more likely prevented it from being the present-day leading drug/gang city in Argentina? And/or would have caused Juan Galiffi (1892-1943; the Al Capone of Argentina) to locate his mafia-type activities somewhere else and make that other place the "Argentine Chicago"? And I would imagine that Rosario, as the federal capital, would still be a major industrial, trans-shipment, and port city (albeit perhaps relocating those functions further away from the city centre, at least over time) owing to its location in Argentina?

Last edited:
Even if Rosario became capital of Argentina, Buenos Aires` geography could mean that it still is the most populous and rich city.
Rosario would indeed be better-off however, without it becoming the drug trafficking hub of the nation.

Even if Rosario became capital of Argentina, Buenos Aires` geography could mean that it still is the most populous and rich city.
Rosario would indeed be better-off however, without it becoming the drug trafficking hub of the nation.

But would Rosario still be the drug trafficking hub of Argentina even if it were the federal capital, given its location? Or would being the federal capital preclude it from being the country's drug trafficking hub and some other city would take over that role?

But would Rosario still be the drug trafficking hub of Argentina even if it were the federal capital, given its location? Or would being the federal capital preclude it from being the country's drug trafficking hub and some other city would take over that role?
The second option. No stable government would allow its capital city to be taken over by criminals.

The second option. No stable government would allow its capital city to be taken over by criminals.
So then, which Argentine city might become the drug trafficking hub in Rosario's place?

Plus, would Juan Galiffi have made some other city than Rosario his mafia headquarters back in the day?

I do have to say that even in the capital of the world's most powerful country and of the free world, Washington DC, there has been (and still is) quite a bit of crime and poverty not far at all from the seats of power.

Last edited:
I think Rosario might be around 4.5 million people (based on pure speculation), being the capital and a very important port could atract some of the thousands internal inmigrants who moved to Buenos Aires during the XX century. About the drugs I don´t know, probably Buenos Aires.

What's the disturbance, both Rotterdam and Antwerpen can be considered as such in Europe, while it certainly affects criminal activity, most commoners aren't much affected by it.

Also why the obsession that the capital is the most populous city. @dovibear: why did the president veto such a move?