Alternate Calendar Eras

Assuming secularism runs amock in any given given ATL and there is a push for an alternate calendar era that neither presupposes a belief in Christ (AD/BC) nor otherwise acknowledges the signifigance of his birth (CE/BCE) what would be a good non-religious OTL date for dividing history?

Some of my ideas:

July 4, 1054: Supernova?

October 12, 1492: Columbus landing at San Salvador?

July 4, 1776: Declaration of Independence?

November 24, 1859: Origin of Species Published?

Assuming secularism runs amock in any given given ATL and there is a push for an alternate calendar era that neither presupposes a belief in Christ (AD/BC) nor otherwise acknowledges the signifigance of his birth (CE/BCE) what would be a good non-religious OTL date for dividing history?

I think that calendar works just fine. Yes, it's supposed to be about Jesus' birth, but the date's all wrong; Jesus was born Before Christ.

I think that calendar works just fine. Yes, it's supposed to be about Jesus' birth, but the date's all wrong; Jesus was born Before Christ.

Problem is at that time, and much further after - Halley's comet 1066 and the comet in 1618 - great natural events would be seen as a signal of something important happening. With science having concluded that several major conjunctions happened between the planets around the proposed birth of Christ this suggest that the event was written into the gospels to show the celestial importance of Christ's birth and it not being an actual reference as to his birth year. We'll just never know - and the calender work fine for us but so does other peoples calenders for them.

Romulus Augustulus gets too much credit, the "Roman Empire" was just as much a barbarian kingdom during his reign than in the Ostrogoths.

Anyway, what about from the birth of Julius Caesar or Augustus? Or the year the Julian Calendar was introduced (which escapes me right now)

October 12, 1492: Columbus landing at San Salvador?

July 4, 1776: Declaration of Independence?
That's very America-centric...

Well, the original Roman calendar (or was it the original Julian Calendar? or both?) used the founding of Rome as Jared said, so I guess we'd still be using that. In which case it would currently be the 28th Century.

HueyLong

Banned
Romulus Augustulus gets too much credit, the "Roman Empire" was just as much a barbarian kingdom during his reign than in the Ostrogoths.

I realize that, but its the best ending date there is, and calendar eras are never logical.

Crowning of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor.

Discovery of the Americas affected the entire world, it is not an America-centric event really.

I don't see the Columbian exchange as too American-centric as it revolutionized food production and trade across the entire globe. I would argue that it is "the" most important single "event" in human history since the break-out from Africa into Eurasia back 70,000 years ago or thereabouts.

The death of Henry Ford. Realistically, is there any point in time that's more deserving of having a calendar hang from it? :D

I thought that all good calendars ran from the year of his birth. In the Year of Our Ford... (With apologies to Aldous Huxley.)