Alternate Analogues to Pakistan

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
By the above I mean a country which
1) secedes from a country or colony
2) whose nationalism is not built around a single ethnic group
3) which has or may have religious or other cultural differences as the impetus for secession

I propose a Chinese “Pakistan” in Xinjiang, Gansu and Ningxia as suggested by LostInNewDelhi

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
There is even a Wikipedia article for this scenario:
This article explicitly mentions that Nigeria since its independence has always feared a potential split between the Muslim North and Christian South.
West/Sahelian Africa and East Asia are among two of the world’s most religiously diverse regions per Pew so that checks out
religious-diversity-3.png

Last edited:
I'm not that knowledgeble about the country but wouldn't northern Nigeria fit exactly the role of Pakistan?
-former british colony
-divided region "artificially" put together
-over 90% muslim
-made up of Hausa, Fulanis, Kanuri, Nupe and so many other ethnic groups the closer you get to the Niger and Benue rivers

I'm not that knowledgeble about the country but wouldn't northern Nigeria fit exactly the role of Pakistan?
-former british colony
-divided region "artificially" put together
-over 90% muslim
-made up of Hausa, Fulanis, Kanuri, Nupe and so many other ethnic groups the closer you get to the Niger and Benue rivers
Northern Nigeria has no reason to secede since they would be landlocked and they already dominate the country as it is. Now the Christian South of the country is a different story and OTL Nigeria has already fought a civil war in order to keep it (and its oil). Nigeria could easily be split into three counties. A Muslim (Hausa) dominated north, a Yoruba State to the southeast, and Biafra (Igbo State) to the southwest. All would be analogous to Pakistan because those three would still have a lot of ethnic groups in them. Nigeria has a lot of ethnic groups.

Last edited:
I thought of Bangsamoro region, but with a bit territorial adjustments (read: the rest of [North] Cotabato) as well as in demographics.

Dagestan? IIRC, there is not ethnic group with a majority, and it is Muslim (but then again, so are a lot of other Russian provinces)

United Turkestan separates from the non-Soviet Russia?

1) secedes from a country or colony
2) whose nationalism is not built around a single ethnic group
3) which has or may have religious or other cultural differences as the impetus for secession
1) Check
2) Uzbeks and Tajiks is the main ethnic groups, also Turkestan has Turkmens, Kyrgyzs and Kazakhs
3) Check - they are Muslim when Russians is Christian

Bosnia and Herzegovina potentially? Earlier this year there was already discussion on breaking up their federation. Even further. It seems to have died down. The country is made up of Bosnian Muslims Croatians and Serbs

I would say that a North Caucasus Federation would fulfil this criteria. A really interesting option could be a kind of post-Ottoman Muslim state in the Western Balkans comprising Sandžak, BiH, Albania and Kosovo. Would still have big non-Muslim minorities but could be helped by an influx of Pomaks and other Balkan Muslims who IOTL largely fled to Turkey.

Northern Nigeria has no reason to secede since they would be landlocked and they already dominate the country as it is. Now the Christian South of the country is a different story and OTL Nigeria has already fought a civil war in order to keep it (and its oil). Nigeria could easily be split into three counties. A Muslim (Hausa) dominated north, a Yoruba State to the southeast, and Biafra (Igbo State) to the southwest. All would be analogous to Pakistan because those three would still have a lot of ethnic groups in them. Nigeria has a lot of ethnic groups.
Very interesting contribution to the discussion. Just a little nitpick, the Yoruba are to the SW, whereas Biafra is the SE of Nigeria.