Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Any takers as to what would have happened after the end of the campaign in Age of Empires III? To recap,

-- in Act I Morgan Black and his crew destroyed the Fountain of Youth and a Circle of Ossus base in Florida ca. 1566
-- in Act II the Black estate destroyed an advancing Russian/Circle of Ossus army in the northern Rocky Mountains by causing an avalanche ca. 1757
-- in Act III the Black estate destroyed the Circle of Ossus base in Havana and killed their leader, though they might still have holdouts left somewhere (often said to be ca. 1817, though I'm not sure I buy it)

In the ending scene it's revealed that Morgan Black from Act I is still alive at the age of maybe ~280, having drunk a bottle of water from the Fountain of Youth. It's possible that someone else might also have had the same idea soon after it was destroyed.

I was never sure when AOE III was supposed to take place. You fight the Mexican army on the Rio Grande at the start of Act 3, after securing a government contract to build what's implied to be the Transcontinental Railroad, then go to South America and fight the Spanish alongside Simon Bolivar.

As if that wasn't weird enough, there's also the logistics of that Russian army marching across North America in the 1750s in Act 2.

I was never sure when AOE III was supposed to take place. You fight the Mexican army on the Rio Grande at the start of Act 3, after securing a government contract to build what's implied to be the Transcontinental Railroad, then go to South America and fight the Spanish alongside Simon Bolivar.

As if that wasn't weird enough, there's also the logistics of that Russian army marching across North America in the 1750s in Act 2.
think that's weird in the AOE franchise? even ignoring the mythical elements, the first campaign of Age of Mythology implies that the Trojan War took place at the same time as the Viking Age! XD (some Norsemen mention "the Fairhair clan", as in Harald Fairhair)

Don't forget whatever's going on in Egypt, and the seeming ease of travel between Greece and Scandinavia in the Bronze Age.
there's not as easily-defined a date to the Egyptian parts as there are to the Greek and Norse ones ;) and that's not even getting into the part about Atlantis being destroyed at the end of the campaign, which is traditionally said to take 10,000 years ago, so according to the game there (possibly) were Vikings running around c. 8000 BC XD

that's not even getting into the part about Atlantis being destroyed at the end of the campaign, which is traditionally said to take 10,000 years ago, so according to the game there (possibly) were Vikings running around c. 8000 BC XD
New theory as to the identity of the Sea People just dropped.

I always assumed that Age of Mythology took place in a sort of fantasy world that shared geography and culture with ours, but where interactions with the gods and monsters were part of everyday life. For example, in the Titans campaign when you first go to Greece, you're told that resources are scarce but there are Plenty Vaults you can capture. This always implied to me that the AoM!Greek economy was dependent upon the Plenty Vaults.

I always assumed that Age of Mythology took place in a sort of fantasy world that shared geography and culture with ours, but where interactions with the gods and monsters were part of everyday life. For example, in the Titans campaign when you first go to Greece, you're told that resources are scarce but there are Plenty Vaults you can capture. This always implied to me that the AoM!Greek economy was dependent upon the Plenty Vaults.
yeah, it's probably best to assume that it's totally self-contained. there is an insinuation that some version of it, at least, is part of the "prime" Age of Empires TL, though--while i haven't actually played it, apparently AOE3 has one of its relics as the Armor of Arkantos

A homeless drifter—credited as "Nada"—comes to Los Angeles in search of a job. While out on the street, he sees a street preacher warning that "they" have recruited the rich and powerful to control humanity. Nada finds employment at a construction site and is befriended by coworker Frank, who invites him to live in a shanty town soup kitchen led by a man named Gilbert.

That night, a hacker takes over television broadcasts, claiming that scientists have discovered signals that are enslaving the population and keeping them in a dream-like state, and that the only way to stop it is to shut off the signal at its source. Those watching the broadcast complain of headaches. Nada secretly follows Gilbert and the preacher into a nearby church and discovers them meeting with a group that includes the hacker. He sees scientific equipment and cardboard boxes inside. Nada is discovered by the blind preacher and escapes.

The shantytown and church are both destroyed in a police raid in the same night, and the hacker and preacher are beaten by riot police. The following day, Nada retrieves one of the boxes from the church and takes a pair of sunglasses from it, hiding the rest in a trash can. Nada discovers that the sunglasses make the world appear monochrome, but also reveal subliminal messages in the media to consume, reproduce, and conform. The glasses also reveal that many people are actually aliens with skull-like faces.

When Nada mocks an alien woman at a supermarket, she alerts other aliens via a wristwatch-like device. Nada leaves but is confronted by two alien police officers. He kills them and steals their weapons. Nada enters a bank, where he sees that several of the employees and customers are aliens. He kills several aliens with a shotgun and escapes by taking Cable 54 employee Holly Thompson hostage. At Holly's home, Nada tries to get her to try on the glasses, but she knocks him out of the window and down a hill and calls the police.

The next day, Nada returns to the alleyway and retrieves the sunglasses from a garbage truck before Frank meets Nada to give him his paycheck. Frank, believing Nada is attempting to murder him, resists Nada's attempts to put the glasses on him, and the two get into a long and violent brawl. After Frank reluctantly lets Nada put the glasses on him, he sees the aliens for himself and goes into hiding with Nada.

Frank and Nada run into Gilbert, who leads them to a meeting of the anti-alien movement. At the meeting, they are given contact lenses to replace the sunglasses, and learn that the aliens are using global warming to make Earth more like their own planet, and are depleting the Earth's resources for their own gain. They also learn that the aliens have been bribing humans to become collaborators, promoting them to positions of power. Holly arrives at the meeting, apologizing to Nada. The meeting is raided by police and the vast majority of those present are killed, with the survivors (including Frank, Nada, and Holly) scattering. Nada and Frank are cornered in an alley, but they accidentally activate an alien wristwatch, opening a portal through which they escape.

The portal takes them to the aliens' spaceport, where they discover a meeting of aliens and human collaborators celebrating the elimination of the "terrorists". They are approached by a former drifter they briefly met in the shantytown, now a collaborator, who gives them a tour of the facility. He leads them to the basement of Cable 54, the source of the signal, which is protected by armed guards. Nada and Frank find Holly and fight their way to the transmitter on top of the roof, but Holly kills Frank, revealing that Holly too is a human collaborator. Nada kills Holly and destroys the transmitter, but is fatally wounded by a group of aliens in a helicopter. Nada gives the aliens the middle finger as he bleeds out.

With the transmitter destroyed, humans all over the world are free from their dream-like state and discover the aliens hiding amongst them.
How the chaos of the 1988 "Capitalist Alien Revelation" lead to the collapse of the American party system, a near Second Civil War, and the Gus Hall Presidency: An Essay

IMG_8913.jpeg

Last edited:
has anyone mentioned tenki no ko/weathering with you yet ? tokyo continously getting rain for 3 years straight, resulting in good chunk of tokyo drowning.

yet somehow the movie implies that the japanese capital (at least i think ) is still on tokyo and there's still a lot of people remain living there. the japanese goverment must done a great job to adapt to new enviroment.