All Hail Germania (The Actual TL)

Eurofed

Banned
As for New Roma, just from my personal notes and such, if anyone were to make a grab for Roman glory, it would likely be either Prospero I or his granddaughter (Leonor I) and her husband (Francisco III of Thessaly/I of Iberia). It would likely help if the Papacy was located in Iberian territory, if not Santiago de Compostela, then I was thinking a Rhodesian Papacy would be interesting (though I maybe playing a little too much EUIII). Also theres the fact that Isabella and Ferdinand bought the titles of Roman Emperor from the 'Byzantines' and so....

About this, I think I have a neat solution. After Iberia buys the "Byzantine" title, well, it was an established "constitutional" fact of Europe that there could be two "Roman Empires", the WRE/Carolingian and the ERE/Byzantine. So we may have the HRE and Iberia to recognize each other as the new "Roman" empires in a treaty (dynastic ties here would help). Protestant Germany-Italy takes the title of "Northern Roman Empire", or "Christian Roman Empire", Catholic Iberia-Africa takes the title of "Southern Roman Empire", or "Apostolic Roman Empire". Each dominant European great power on the two sides of the Christian feud takes the Imperial title, a neat balance. At this point, Iberia would not really need strong Papal support to get recognized by Europe at large as a worthy successor Roman Empire. They could also do this as part of the deal where the HRE is recognized control of southern Italy, and Iberia a sphere of influence in North Africa.

As it concerns the proper seat of the Papacy, I think it is an issue of the Curia's behavior. If the loss of Italy and Central Europe has weakened the Popes enough that more or less they remain forever cowed and submisssive to the Imperial authority, like Byzantine/Russian Orthodox Patriarchs, then they can stay in Santiago. If however, they stir up to theocratic ambitions again, then they need to relocate someplace else.

As for the new home of the expelled North African Muslims, I agree that for Iberia, dumping them in a valuable and relatively "close" land like Brazil makes little sense. I would suggest something that would look more remote and less valuable to 16th Century Europe, such as Southern Africa, Madgascar, or Australia.

Last edited:

Eurofed

Banned
Here, I've made a map with my TL revamp proposals. The HRE includes all of Italy, the Papacy (provisionally) goes to Santiago de Compostela, and Muslim expelles go to Madagascar.

qq9x0i.png

Last edited:
For those North Italian states who are absorbed into the HRE, wouldn't ir be nice for their colonies to be acquired by Iberia?

Eurofed

Banned
For those North Italian states who are absorbed into the HRE, wouldn't ir be nice for their colonies to be acquired by Iberia?

Or perhaps those areas are colonized by Iberia instead in the first place.

Anyway, it seems a good idea. I'm going to edit the map and include it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Eurofed, but I just can't see Southern Italy, Sardinia, and Sicily ending up in Imperial hands. I don't see any Emperor willing to ruin relations with Iberia over them. The Iberian Sovereign at least gets control over the Pope when the Germans kick him out of Rome. Basically my line of thinking for the Imperials to be able to absorb Northern Italy is that the Iberia Hegemony over the Med must be maintained. That means the Crown of Sicily needs to remain Spanish and they probably will also get Crete when Venice falls. After all the only country really able to change Germania in a total war is Iberia.

Here's what a likely Revamp would look like:

Alternate AHG.png

Eurofed

Banned
I see and it is reasonable. But at least it is much better than keeping useless Venice and Tuscany and the rotten Papal States around.

I am very much intrigued by the idea of a Muslim Spanish-Speaking country on Madagascar, however I'm not really sure what it would look like. I feel like the Iberians would likely deport a specific group and not just random Muslims. So that could mean Berbers, Egyptians, Arabs, or Turks. Although at the same time I guess if were specifically a penal colony it wouldn't be a specific group... hmm... I'm not sure that the Iberians would establish a penal colony for non-Christians, I feel like any trouble makers would probably just be executed (I don't mean to make light of the situation).

Hmmmmm...

Eurofed

Banned
I am very much intrigued by the idea of a Muslim Spanish-Speaking country on Madagascar, however I'm not really sure what it would look like. I feel like the Iberians would likely deport a specific group and not just random Muslims. So that could mean Berbers, Egyptians, Arabs, or Turks. Although at the same time I guess if were specifically a penal colony it wouldn't be a specific group... hmm... I'm not sure that the Iberians would establish a penal colony for non-Christians, I feel like any trouble makers would probably just be executed (I don't mean to make light of the situation).

A penal colony could be a good way to keep the extent and severity of the Muslim rebellions down, and hence lighten the military burden for Iberia. Give the Muslims the choice of forced conversion and Iberization, deportation to the penal colony, or death, works much better to control rebellions than just forced conversion-assimilation or death.

What do you think of my idea about HRE and Iberia recognizing each other as the successors of WRE and ERE ?

Capetown

Originally the Dutch (part of our country colonized the Cape) as part of our wonderful nation to let the English take it should not stand.

Protect our right seize the Cape!!!!:eek: