Alkebu-lan (Land of the Blacks) - An Africa without European Imperalism

Just found this at Strange Maps and more from Word of God.

Note that this only a very small preview of the actual map, but the original is insanely huge and upside-down.
The POD is an even more deadly Black Death that Europe would've never recovered from.
9c37083c6e91300577ec46214da2a577.jpg

Very fascinating! Quite a few familar names, of course, but overall this seems like a very interesting world. That large Frankia seems a bit weird though... Also I'd love to see a worlda version of this ^^

That's pretty awesome. Is there a full timeline to accompany this?

Although one thing seems wrong (though I might be incorrect on this), it seems the Arabic syntax in some of those titles are incorrect. e.g. it should be "Khilafat Hafsid" instead of the other way around.

I remember this being posted before; I'll restate the two main issues;

1. Some of the places, names, and concepts would not exist with the PoD premise.

2. Africa was home to many large Empires, it's highly unlikely the continent would be so divided (especially not Northern Africa; quite a few of the states there are literally uninhabited/sparsely inhabited desert), rather you'd see something more like Eurasia, with a few large empires, a handful of small states and a few dozen medium sized countries.

Indeed, it's rather naïve to think Egypt wouldn't be at least trying to expand south. Not to mention that, as discussed before, Alkebu-lan is a garbage term bearing no resemblance to what the claimed translation is and mainly linked with a load of Afrocentric conspiracy theories.

I said it in the other threads : not only the borders makes absolutly no sense (not based on anything, but making a counter-straight line, even in the middle of the desert);but the whole border/territory/capital systematisation is more a copy/paste of eurocentric conceptions than actually searching to make an africocentric geopolitical distribution (more based on overlapped loyalties).

(The PoD makes no sense as well, but giving it's secondary when it comes to the point of the map...)

I said it in the other threads : not only the borders makes absolutly no sense (not based on anything, but making a counter-straight line, even in the middle of the desert);but the whole border/territory/capital systematisation is more a copy/paste of eurocentric conceptions than actually searching to make an africocentric geopolitical distribution (more based on overlapped loyalties).

(The PoD makes no sense as well, but giving it's secondary when it comes to the point of the map...)

I don't think it's supposed to be particularly accurate. I think it's rather a bit of a thought experiment.

I don't think it's supposed to be particularly accurate. I think it's rather a bit of a thought experiment.

Giving the tought experiment is about "how would Africa would have turned without Europe", I'm not sure copy/pasting European conceptions of state (or trying to get the exact counterpart) highlight its success, to be honest. (That said, it's a beautiful map as long you don't look at borders)

Giving the tought experiment is about "how would Africa would have turned without Europe", I'm not sure copy/pasting European conceptions of state (or trying to get the exact counterpart) highlight its success, to be honest. (That said, it's a beautiful map as long you don't look at borders)

Some have speculated that the densely-populated areas in West and Central Africa were starting to move towards a Westphalian concept of sovereignty.

http://rachelstrohm.com/2013/07/29/the-colonization-counterfactual/

Some have speculated that the densely-populated areas in West and Central Africa were starting to move towards a Westphalian concept of sovereignty.

http://rachelstrohm.com/2013/07/29/the-colonization-counterfactual/

I'm not that much convinced. "Clearly defined territories" itself doesn't resume this concept : monopole and centralisation of power by a clearly defined elite counts as well.

It doesn't mean that these states weren't states or even strong states, but would have been more (at least in a first time) in the legacy of a tribal structure (as you had in North Africa) as WS was built on late feudal structures.
Now, would it have known a "convergent evolution" towards WS? Again, I'm not convinced, it's not like it was such a pinnacle of evolution that it transcended cultural and civilisational borders.

Arkocento

Donor
Just found this at Strange Maps and more from Word of God.

Note that this only a very small preview of the actual map, but the original is insanely huge and upside-down.
The POD is an even more deadly Black Death that Europe would've never recovered from.

I really don't understand how the Black Death would work in such a fashion that it would only attack Christian Europeans and no one else is affected. Apparently the ottomans just quit conquering at some point too instead of you know, conquering Egypt so thats another issue.

The whole spain issue make no sense either Al-andalus controls everything and the Christians are divided in the same way they were in 1100 AD? come

eh, it had shit planning