Alfonso XIII of Spain assassinated, 31 May 1906

On 31 May 1906, on the day of the king's wedding with Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Catalonian anarchist Mateu Morral threw a bomb disguised as a bouquet of flowers at the couple. They survived, but a few people were killed.

What if Morral didn't miss? I'm mostly wondering what the deal with the succession would be. Who'd inherit the throne? What kind of political fallout might the assassination have?

LordKalvert

Banned
The new King would have been Infante Alfonso, Duke of Calabria the eldest son of his eldest sister, Mercedes, Princess of Asturias, (who had died previously). Don't know what they would do for the Regency as the new king would have been five. His only surviving aunt was Infanta Maria Teresa of Spain who was married to the heir of Bavaria- that might cause some problems.

Not sure as if there would be much political fallout, the Spanish monarchy was very weak at the time. Just the usual rally behind the crown sympathy for a while

Spain was on early 20th century that kind of political mess, that this could have cause very bad succession crisis. I don't see even Second Spanish Succession War being impossible.

Don't know what they would do for the Regency as the new king would have been five. His only surviving aunt was Infanta Maria Teresa of Spain who was married to the heir of Bavaria- that might cause some problems.

I don't see how, as it's only a regency.

Maybe closer relations with Germany? Going by the metric of Alfie's mother's regency (ended when he was sixteen), she'd be regent until 1917.

LordKalvert

Banned
I don't see how, as it's only a regency.

Maybe closer relations with Germany? Going by the metric of Alfie's mother's regency (ended when he was sixteen), she'd be regent until 1917.

She may have had to renounce claims to the Spanish throne when she married. The Spanish monarchy was of the Hapsburg line, so relations with the Central powers are already as good as the monarchy can make them

The young king's father was living so he's a possibility as well. He was a foreigner (Italian) which might exclude him but maybe not

Last edited: