Alexander the Mediocre

HelloLegend

Banned
True, but it´s effects are still felt.

Just because people don´t know about things doesn´t necessarily make them unimportant. After all what is the point of archeological digups in such cases:

Well, you know we would dig up these ancient egyptian ruins but it seems that most of the people here have never heard of those ancient temples nor the gods inside them. Must be really unimportant then... On second thought let´s not dig it up. After all if it had any value, people would still remember them, right?

Remove Vaudeville, and all comic films in the western world butterfly into something else. Humour as we know it would be very, very different, cinema, pop culture, so on and so on.

Again, I have no disagreement, not even from the beginning on that.
Alexander had a lot of butterfly influence. But he is largely forgotten by many of the people and places he conquered.

HelloLegend

Banned
You always have the option of paying no attention....since we learned so well from you.

Trust me, and please trust me, when I say this...

it takes two to argue... who are u again?
oh by the way "true patriot" what branch of service
did you serve in?

HueyLong

Banned
Its not a butterfly influence- it is a direct effect of his actions.

A butterfly is something not associated with the POD (in this case, him not being mentally handicapped). It is "No Prohibition in US" a butterfly would be, "Chiang Kai-Shek win Chinese Civil War". A direct effect of "No Prohibition" would be "Lesser Flapper Culture"

And whether or not they know who he is does not affect anything (and you're still ignoring folk tales of Iskander). Henry Ford is a non-entity of non-importance, as people only know him as a truck.

HelloLegend

Banned
MEA CULPA!

FORGIVE ME ZEUS FOR I HAVE SINNED UPON THE GREAT MEMORY OF YOUR GREAT SEED... ALEXANDER THE GREAT...

I have learned that I am not worthy of the attention bestowed upon
me by these GREAT historians.

Keenir

Banned
MEA CULPA!

FORGIVE ME ZEUS FOR I HAVE SINNED UPON THE GREAT MEMORY OF YOUR GREAT SEED... ALEXANDER THE GREAT...

I have learned that I am not worthy of the attention bestowed upon
me by these GREAT historians.

Though I am not Zeus, I shall forgive your transgression, provided you work hard on your Lang China timeline and one other timeline. (you may earn extra forgiveness by having it involve Greece, Macedon, Persia, or Afghanistan).

Go now, and speak to your fellow alternate historians in the Chat Rooms, asking them for your forgiveness. For I bless all those who forgive.

HelloLegend

Banned
Keenir

Forgive my ignorance in English, you are right you did answer...
but it wasn't understood... even when u said it slowly. I am
so stupid as you keep pointing out, I need help...

When I asked which branch of service you served in the military
you answered:

"I was the guy fixing the machines guys like you broke."

Does this is means:

Army
Navy
Air Force
Marines

Heck, let's even throw in

Coast Guard...

HelloLegend

Banned
I've reported him, not much else we can do.

Reported me? For what? Did I make personal insults to anyone?
Did I call anyone unintelligent? stupid? Did I use profanity?
Or was I just stating my opinion on historical topic?

If you reported me,
I think you reported the wrong person(s).

If you reported me,
I think you reported the wrong person(s).

Yes, you. For post-whoring, trolling, flaming, etc. Yes. Yes. Yes. No. Only you could answer that.

No, I'm pretty sure I got the right guy.

Do you know the term trolling? It refers to, in general, gross breach of forum conduct. One of the main instances usually cited as trolling is making outlandish, illogical claims to provoke argument, and then refusing to back down from said idiotic claims. Its to prevent the forum being clogged up from people trying to disprove a stubborn, misinformed person. Its a kickable offense.

Oh, and I almost forgot post-whoring.

Last edited:
Again, I have no disagreement, not even from the beginning on that.
Alexander had a lot of butterfly influence. But he is largely forgotten by many of the people and places he conquered.

All right we agree on vaudeville. And surely Alexander must be forgotten in a lot of places he conquered. After all he did that to a lot of places.

So what are we arguing about, how many remember Alexander?

I think it doesn´t matter, this discussion ceased to be constructive a long while ago.
I think you underestimate Alexander a bit though. But it´s just an opinion. I still challenge you though to make a TL without Alexander in which you wouldn´t have to change nearly everything.

HelloLegend

Banned
My opinions on Alexander are not troll posts.
If you get a third party to read this thread...
You will see I was only trying to make a point
regarding his legacy.

Trolling is you go from board to board messing
up other people issues. Just because the majority
of you disagree with what I said doesn't make it
"designed" to incite argument.

Furthermore, the topic of Britney Spears was brought
up in a different thread which I started, I think the "reporter" forgot
that part. I don't remember talking about Britney Spears in this
thread.

In fact this is the first time, I have argued at all
with a group of people...

I see you all have been here many years, and I'm new
and an outsider.

That's fine. I will stay off the topic board with Alexander,
as I am here to enjoy myself, share in debate, and not fight with people.

Keenir

Banned
In fact this is the first time, I have argued at all
with a group of people...

I see you all have been here many years, and I'm new
and an outsider.

I myself am fairly new here. Certainly I haven't been here for years.

and I welcome you to the community, now that you are agreeing to be good.

My opinions on Alexander are not troll posts.
If you get a third party to read this thread...
You will see I was only trying to make a point
regarding his legacy.

I just re-read the entire thread, and at least a dozen people, directly or indirectly, commented on the fact that either you were deliberately not understanding arguments, or just had a terrible knowledge of history. Me, Keenir, Flocc, MrP, Imajin, EvolvedSaurian, Napoleon, Wozza, pa-dutch, galanx, Huey Long, Floid. Come to think of it, every single person except you, recognizes that you have no factual basis for your argument, yet loudly repeat it, ignoring all the evidence presented to the contrary. That is trolling.

Well, I have just read this whole thread.

The point HelloLegend was trying to make was that Alexander has had no obvious, major, direct infuence on the present-day culture of the regions he conquered. This rules out non-obvious or indirect influences like Islam or Buddhism, minor influences like folk tales, and influences on past cultures that haven't carried through to the present day. To HelloLegend a legacy would be something like the fact that people *today* in some countries that were once part of the Roman Empire speak Romance languages and are Roman Catholics. Alexander has left no such legacy.

In his initial post HelloLegend didn't express himself clearly, but even after he had made it clear what he meant, you all just ignored him and kept on arguing as if he had meant "Alexander had no effect on history".

Some people insulted HelloLegend, while HelloLegend himself has not been insulting or provocative. Arguing your point is not trolling, even if no-one else in the thread agrees with you.