Alexander the Mediocre

Keenir

Banned
-------------------------------------------------
I found this quote on a website...

The Tarim mummies, Chinese mummies of non-Chinese, apparently western, individuals, have been found in the Tarim Basin, such as in the area of Loulan located along the Silk Road 200 km east of Yingpan, dating to as early as 1600 BC and suggesting very ancient contacts between East and West.
--------------------------------------------------
If you credit Alexander with Buddhism contact between India and China, then you are saying without him, there would have been no spread of Buddhist contact? Because if Alexander wasn't born, and Buddhism still spreads to China, then doesn't that negate the influence?

Before the Roman Empire showed up, there was still contact between England and Egypt and Israel....during the Roman Empire, the flow of people travelling to those lands increased a hundredfold (at least)...

..Are you suggesting that the Roman Empire therefore had no effect on anything?

Keenir

Banned
I see why you are all arguing with me....

To me, "legacy" means acknowledgement of achievements....

I haven't a clue what your ancestors did...so to me, your ancestors had no legacy -- and therefore, you don't exist.

As with the 18th amendment, Alexander's brief time in India and Afghanistan did not have lasting effects

People becoming hellenized -- isn't an effect that lasts for centuries?

Dang, whatever were people afraid of the Turks for? It's not like the Turks had any lasting effects...and neither did Oliver Cromwell. (since he has no modern kingdom)

Whereas, Martin Luther King, did create "change of habits" to the ordinary person in Southern USA.

By that logic, the American Civil War had no legacy....because it took a century before Civil Rights came into being.

Keenir

Banned
Furthermore, recently the movie portrayed his Indian hosts as being very UNWELCOMING of his presence...

And the Irish weren't exactly enthused to see Cromwell coming at them, either.

The peoples of those areas have largely forgotten him.
In the same way, that America's of the 21st century has forgotten VAUDEVILLE comedy. Though many influences in modern comedians are the direct result of those achievement in that era, I find the legacy is not felt.

By that logic, great-grandparents don't exist & never did...because while their influence is felt even today, their "legacy" (your word) is not.

Keenir, give up man. This thread is the AH.COM version of Tantalus and Sisyphis. Every time you think you've countered every claim, something new pops up.

When talking about the history of humour, theatre and cinema you can´t ignore Vaudeville.

Without Vaudeville we don´t have Charlie Chaplie and most of the other comic actors of his time.

HelloLegend

Banned
Keenir, is something wrong with your internet connection?
You are responding to stuff that was "done with" about 45 minutes ago.

Keenir

Banned
The Golden Buddha in Afghanistan, Iraq... which are not his butterflies not his cultural aspects (would be things from Macedonian or Greece) are in disrepair and not worshipped by the locals.

Nobody in Washington DC worships Mars or Aphrodite.

Even the stupidest stupid in America knows who Lincoln is.

Because he died recently. Ask us again in another 1900 years if anyone remembers Abe.

How many people in Punjab have heard of Alexander the Great?

How many people in Punjab have you talked to?

HelloLegend

Banned
How many people in Punjab have you talked to?

Nice of you to cut off the part where I said "I don't know the answer to this."

And are u in a time dimension shift about 45 minutes into the past?
You keep responding to stuff that was said a while back.

HueyLong

Banned
Vaudeville is a perfect example of a forgotten legacy.

Its not really forgotten. Most people know who Charlie Chaplin or the Marx Brothers were, and even more know Abbott and Costello.

Oh and even if it was, its effect on humor was great, so humor would be radically different.

Keenir

Banned
Keenir, give up man. This thread is the AH.COM version of Tantalus and Sisyphis. Every time you think you've countered every claim, something new pops up.

Good point; I hoped I could catch up....well, it's good exercise.
:)

thanks.

Keenir

Banned
Keenir, is something wrong with your internet connection?

Nope....at least, I sure hope not; after all, I invented the internet.

(and thanks to your definition of "legacy", nobody can refute my claim)

You are responding to stuff that was "done with" about 45 minutes ago.

Well I'm sorry: not everyone can reply instantaneously.

Vaudeville is a perfect example of a forgotten legacy.

True, but it´s effects are still felt.

Just because people don´t know about things doesn´t necessarily make them unimportant. After all what is the point of archeological digups in such cases:

Well, you know we would dig up these ancient egyptian ruins but it seems that most of the people here have never heard of those ancient temples nor the gods inside them. Must be really unimportant then... On second thought let´s not dig it up. After all if it had any value, people would still remember them, right?

Remove Vaudeville, and all comic films in the western world butterfly into something else. Humour as we know it would be very, very different, cinema, pop culture, so on and so on.