Alexander the Mediocre

I think you're confusing legacy with one culture taking over another and reforming it in its image. English, for example has a lot of Greco-Latin influences. The idea of not splitting the infinitive, for example, makes bugger all sense for English, but a great deal in Latin. That's one legacy of Latin.

I'm inclined to enthusiastically support your statement :D

a.) which Indian culture currently speaks Greek?

For the last time, don't reference India- Alexander conquered a VERY small portion of it. I never claimed they spoke Greek, I said the languages of the decendants of Alexanders empire had large number of Greek loanwords. Just like we don't speak Latin, yet we have a large number of words borrowed from it. The entirety of his empire spoke Greek for 800 years, and there are traces of it (not many, due to Islamic influence) in many languages.

b.) which current government in India, Pakistan, or Afghanistan is a legacy of Alexander, and not British Commonwealth?

Oh, you caught me. There is no 2200 year old surviving Alexandrian rump state in existence. I guess the Seleucids, Ptolemies, etc. were a myth. You win.

c.) aren't cities built in places due to Geograhical reasons? rivers, lakes, access through canyons... example.. if there was no spanish conquest of California, wouldn't the English or French or whoever still have picked the SF BAY area as a site for a city?

Main towns founded by Alexander

Around seventy towns or outposts are claimed to have been founded by Alexander.[22] Some of the main ones are:

* Alexandria, Egypt
* Alexandria Asiana, Iran
* Alexandria in Ariana, Afghanistan
* Alexandria of the Caucasus, Afghanistan
* Alexandria on the Oxus, Afghanistan
* Alexandria of the Arachosians, Afghanistan
* Alexandria on the Indus (Alexandria Bucephalous), Pakistan
* Alexandria Eschate, "The furthest", Tajikistan
* Iskenderun (Alexandretta), Turkey
* Kandahar (Alexandropolis), Afghanistan
* Iskandiriyah(Alexandria),Iraq

Lastly, you keep saying that Afghanistan and Pakistan forgot India. That is flatout not true- both countries are 99% Muslim, and Alexander is mentioned repeatedly in the Koran. Read this article if you don't believe me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_in_the_Qur'an_(Theory)

HueyLong

Banned
The Golden Buddhas are a direct mix of Greek and Bactrian design elemnts and construction- they were worhipped for years.

Anything not directly seen in the modern world has no effect. Great way to look at history.

Henry Ford? Nope, nothing special. Did not pioneer developing techniques and hiring techniques. He did make my truck.

The Russian Revolution? No effect. Some crumbling statues, and some funeral thing. About it.

Roman Empire? Good tour guides, and I like the white marble.

Keenir

Banned
Alright. In case you didn't notice, Islam exploded out of the Arabian Peninsula into the entire Middle East incredibly quickly, compared to the slow, steady spread most major religions go through. One of the largest reasons this was so, was because Alexander's conquests had created one large common cultural group. All the people spoke the same language, followed roughly similar ideals, and had been linked politically, whether by Alexander or the Romans (whose conquest of the East wouldnt have been possible without Alexander).

*nods* I was informed more than once, in fact, that the popular image of Jesus, is in fact the image of Alexander -- because Alexander was pretty much the first pan-national hero. (Egypt had Menes, and so on, but Alexander was international)

Also, give up on the goddman goat herders.

Maybe he'd prefer to talk to the goat herders' lawyers.

Okay, we are done.

Actually, now that we don't have to argue over an established fact anymore, the actual point of the topic can be discussed.

In that vein, would the Silk Road trade be diminished at all if the Persians aren't broken? They might try to withhold trade if they get into a conflict with Rome.

MrP

Banned
*nods* I was informed more than once, in fact, that the popular image of Jesus, is in fact the image of Alexander -- because Alexander was pretty much the first pan-national hero. (Egypt had Menes, and so on, but Alexander was international)

I've heard a pretty plausible argument that it's Zeus/the Father of the Gods - after all, bearded long haired chap - saves changing all your religious iconography, eh? :D

HelloLegend

Banned
The Golden Buddhas are a direct mix of Greek and Bactrian design elemnts and construction- they were worhipped for years.

Anything not directly seen in the modern world has no effect. Great way to look at history.

Henry Ford? Nope, nothing special. Did not pioneer developing techniques and hiring techniques. He did make my truck.

The Russian Revolution? No effect. Some crumbling statues, and some funeral thing. About it.

Roman Empire? Good tour guides, and I like the white marble.

Again, I wasn't challenging "influence" I was challenge "legacy."
Everyone has an influence, some greater some smaller.
Hundreds of people will not be born in 3000 years if I were not to have offspring etc. That's influence.

Legacy... We still have a modern version of the FORD truck, that still says FORD on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know the answer to this... but I wonder how many people in Pakistan have never heard of Alexander? 10%? 30% 50%?

I don't know the answer to this... but I wonder how many people in Pakistan have never heard of Alexander? 10%? 30% 50%?

Considering most are devout Muslims, less than 10% would be my guess

By the way, I'm done okay. done.

Yet you keep coming back.

Keenir

Banned
and then...
go educate yourself on that."

Given that we can't (and wouldn't) loan you our brains, and we're starting to doubt you'd listen if we provided detailed information, the only remaining options are either to have you banned\placed on parole -- or to have you look it up.

MrP

Banned
*cough*

Legacy

1. Money or property bequeathed to another by will.
2. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of religious freedom. See Synonyms at heritage.

Keenir

Banned
"Profanity is the last refuge of a weak mind." - Mark Twain.

Yeah?, and what does Mr. Clemens say about people who are incapable of learning anything, even when they (say they are) ask for help?

I'm just making my points, and you refute them with swear words?

You have not made any points. And everyone here has been refuting your mindless parroting of empty claims for two whole pages in this thread.

Keenir

Banned
I'm a third class petty officer in the US NAVY, who served as a Flight Operations Yeoman for the past 4 years. My squadron has been to the Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat theatre twice now. I have successfully trained my replacement as I am leaving the Navy in two months. So what about my military service bothers you?

Nothing about the service....though it is bothersome to true patriots that you hide behind your rank and service, when we take you to task for knowing nothing about the history of the world.

As for as where this is going.. you are now making personal attacks about me. Whereas, I am just debating points.

I sure hope you don't claim the Navy taught you how to debate.

Keenir

Banned
Seriously, Hello Legend, I mean no disrespect . . . but what would you consider as evidence that Alexander had a significant legacy? Because I'm stuck. As far as I can tell, the criteria you've set out mean that the legacy must be known throughout all of society. Given the immense numbers of people unaware of the origins of many many different things, I don't see how it can be conclusively demonstrated that anyone or anything has what you'd term a significant legacy.

Nobody knows the name of the man who invented the world's first flush toilet....HelloLegend would probably claim that, therefore, the flush toilet is not a signifigant invention.

I have a new point... You are making personal attacks.

Nobody's made personal attacks. Your paranoia may have had you interpret peoples' frustration as attacks on you, but there were no attacks.

Whereas our discussions are best served without those kinds of attacks.

True...but then, our discussions are also best served with you actually paying attention to what we're saying.

-
Soccer Mom = nothing, exactly my point. NOTHING.

But that Soccer Mom has most likely been to DC...and still does not know the role of Alexander the Great, or Plato, or any of the heroes of the wars against Persia, Judea, or the Romans.

I'm not denying the "invisible" influences... a change in the spice make up in the diet. A different bread. I'm just saying, you don't SEE or FEEL him the way you would in Washington D.C.

You're not asking "what is his legacy?"....you're asking "was there any copy-what-Alexander built, after he'd been dead for 2,000 years?"

Alexander's invasion of Middle East/India comparable to Mongol Invasion of
China... something the locals eventually recovered from...

Like how Britain recovered from the Romans?

Goto Washington D.C., and see how the Greco-Roman presence is FELT.
Senators, the alphabet, buildings.

You're confusing Hellenistic inheritance with pre-Hellenistic feelings. In the 1700s and 1800s, Britain and the infant US found it fashionable to copy from Greece -- who were, after all "the Heirs of Homer".

-
Why would I make "your debate points for you"
If you wish to make debate points, make them.

Do you know how to listen to a suggestion?

Or are you saying that you want to be handed a summary of 400 books on the subject, which you will promptly ignore?

But don't tell me "do your research" for your side of the debate.
------------------------------------------------------------
My POINT is its HARDLY noticable...
"Go and see what language all documents written in a region stretching from Cairo to Kabul were written in for 800 years"...
The GOAT farmer still tends GOATS in Kabul, and he's not reading Greek mythology.

Neither are pretty much everyone in GREECE.

The Greeks are too busy raising their goats.

In Washington D.C, where GREEK and ROMANS did make a huge influence,
u NOTICE the PRESENCE.

We were founded by Macedonian warriors?

Dang, and here I thought we were founded by British and German dissidents.

As for as direct influence... crumbling greek columns amongst goat herding Afghanis... is not visible influence.. I say Washington D.C., because u go there u SEE the Greek influence, YOU SEE IT. You don't SEE it in Afghanistan or India, the influence is subtle at best.

That's because in Afghanistan, everything has been blown up!

Again, I'm having a problem with you guys not proving your case (sloppy debaters) more than saying there is no case to be made from your side.

Well, see, we use this thing called Grammar.

but yet VISIBLE meaning noticable.
I'm saying from Iran to India... YOU DON'T NOTICE THAT ALEXANDER WAS EVER THERE...
We noticed that Twins Towers has been missing from NYC since 2001.
We don't NOTICE ALEXANDER in the streets of Punjab.

Eli, Eli, lama...

Please, tell me that you're joking: you're seriously comparing a 4-year span, with a 2,300-year span????

What does ALEXANDER mean to the goat farmer in Kabul today?
NOTHING.

Have you asked the goat farmer?

Pah! I deride this argument that a legacy must be known to people to be a legacy! Pshaw, sir! FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT="
By that logic every single person in society would have to know that many common Western legal precepts are descended from the Roman Empire.

That many people would say, "Huh?" doesn't make the legacy non-existent!

I agree most whole-heartedly!

After all, how many people these days know that the walls of Jericho are over 7,000 years old? (one source said 10,000). Yet nobody would say "pah, Jericho doesn't matter".