Aigyptos Has Risen! (Rise, Aegyptus v2.0)

Going back on what I said a few days ago in the posts above, I'm putting this timeline on an indefinite hiatus. After much thought and deliberation, I'm considering the possibility of a drastic third re-write of this timeline. By "drastic", I mean new POD, an expansion into different narrative style, a reevaluation of the TL's stances on historical issues, rewriting or totally writing out most characters etc.

If I choose not to pursue the ideation of a re-write, I will continue this manifestation of the TL. This could all be just a passing phase of hellishly intense introspection, but for now I am definitely considering a pretty large re-write. Much larger than this version, which was mostly an update of the superficialities of Rise, Aegyptus! rather than an actual rewrite.

For the meanwhile, I'd like to apologise to my readers for being erratic and inconsistant in writing this.

Last edited:
Given that my own TL may have something similar I could certainly learn a thing or two from reading yours fully!

Hello faithful readers!

Some news and comments regarding the future of this timeline.

Basically, after a substantial amount of thought, I have made the executive decision to to a third re-write. For those who read the above post where I expressed interest in the idea of a restart, much of what I said will hold true. I will be changing a lot of things about this TL. Unlike the changes that differentiated Rise, Aegyptus! from Aigyptos Has Risen!, these changes will be much more than superficial: I'll be removing or re-writing almost all the characters present in Aigyptos Has Risen!, I'll be using a different POD, the TL will have different themes and biases... Basically, it will be a re-write in every sense of the word.

Some of you may be wondering why I'm doing this. Well, truth is, I feel the greatest flaw in both Rise, Aegyptus! and Aigyptos Has Risen! is that I looked at issues, events, et cetera that were specific to the 7th century, and looked at them with a 21st century viewpoint. In both timelines, I had an independent Egypt arising from the ashes of an American Revolution-type rebellion, a revolt that were fuelled by ideas of liberty and nationalism, even if I never used those words. I feel that this was lazy of me, and I that I ignored the zeitgeist of the 7th century, choosing instead to look at it somewhat anachronistically. I failed to realise that in the 7th century, nations didn't arise like they do in the modern era; they evolved at a much slower, much more natural rate. Other issues that I feel are present is I based the personality of Benjamin I upon false pretences. Benjamin I was portrayed as a highly intelligent, determined, charismatic and unique man, who also had a knack for scheming. These attributes are all historically accurate, but, I also portrayed him as an man who hated the Romans. The latter portrayal was mainly justified by the death of his brother at the hands of the Romans and the injustices done by Cyrus, the Melchite Patriarch. Again, the death of his brother and Cyrus' injustices to the Copts were also factual, except that they happened post-630. Of course, you can probably see how I've based the personality of one of, if not, the most, important characters in the TL upon an event that hadn't actually happened yet. Apart from these two, there are a few other issues I have with my own TL, but the aforementioned are the main ones.

Okay. Now that you can see where I've messed up, let us look at what the third iteration of Rise, Aegyptus! has in store for us. First of all, the POD. I've chosen the POD to occur in 608AD, with the survival of Theodosius, son of Maurice, who flees to the court of Khosrau II. This POD is similar to another timeline, The Mauricians (which is heartily recommended), but not identical and certainly, the immediate and long-term outcomes will be very different. I've received approval from the author of The Mauricians. As for characters, I haven't etched that out very thoroughly, but as you can probably guess, Benjamin I will be a different dude. He'll be very different. His basic traits - intelligence, determination, incredible charisma - will still be there, but his motivations and goals will not be. Heck, he might even like the Romans. Other characters, those that were fictional such as Kyrillos Eikosidekas and Dimitrios Scylitzis, probably won't exist. I'll also be re-evaluating the writing style of the TL. I'll keep the narrative elements, but I'm debating whether to keep the textbook-y excerpts or to revert to a simpler, this-is-what-happened approach... Or to do something entirely different.

When will you see this third re-write? Well, the plans are in the works, but I'm awaiting a delivery of books I bought specially for the re-write. I'm thinking I'll roll out the prologue + intro this week, just to gather interest and all that jazz, but then I might go on a hiatus until the books get here.

Last but not least, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has read so far, given feedback on my works and tolerated my erratic update rate. On that note, I'm in the stages of planning this re-write, as I have stated before, so if anyone has any thoughts, ideas or comments on how they think the third version should look like; if anyone wants to help shape the TL, please let me know. I am more than interested in your ideas. You, the readers, are an important factor in the creative process.

Thank you doubly as much if you bothered to read my long tirade. :)

Last edited:
Best of luck on your rewrite. I admire your willingness to repeat this as many times as necessary to reach your desired results. And just as this piece was an improvement on the original, I expect you will perform even better with version 3.0.

If I might give one pice of advice, its to avoid locking yourself into something far off in the TL. For instance when you gave a timeframe for Constaninopole to be conquered by the Arabs. Better to give yourself options so if your plans conflict with new developments as you write you can pursue the more desirable path without contradicting yourself.

Be well, and hope to see a new thread with your name on it down the line.

Best of luck on your rewrite. I admire your willingness to repeat this as many times as necessary to reach your desired results. And just as this piece was an improvement on the original, I expect you will perform even better with version 3.0.
Thank you, I certainly am hoping v3 will be an improvement. :)

If I might give one pice of advice, its to avoid locking yourself into something far off in the TL. For instance when you gave a timeframe for Constaninopole to be conquered by the Arabs. Better to give yourself options so if your plans conflict with new developments as you write you can pursue the more desirable path without contradicting yourself.
Good point, and it is taken into account. I must admit, I do think I wrote that particular event in a little early... It was sort of annoying having it hovering above my head.

Be well, and hope to see a new thread with your name on it down the line.
Thanks again!