Aigyptos Has Risen! (Rise, Aegyptus v2.0)

To answer your question about Islam, yes it will still occur. However it might have some slightly different rules from OTL, since Egypt is independent. And Egypt is destined to fight off Islam, preventing it from ever reaching the Maghreb and beyond. This is, after all, a Coptic ATL.

Thanks. So I guess no resurgent romans in Anatolia after all, all that expansionist drive has to go somewhere.

Excerpt from the preface of The Coptic Dream: An Early History of the Modern Egyptian State.
© 1939 by Henri-Louis de Mâcon, Western Historiography Press.

"... The modern Egyptian state is often a puzzling case to contemporary students of history. Indeed, the modern iteration of the "Coptic Dream" is a cultural and religious pariah of Eurasia.

Uh-oh. Sounds like Aigyptos has fallen by modern times... but perhaps things will be in better shape by 2010. :)

Bruce

PS - of Eurasia, not Africa? Presumeably the state extends into the middle east then...

I finally manage to read your TL and it's very good, I'm hooked!
Thank you very much!

I like the narrative sections, if they serve a purpose, why not use them? ;)
Well what I meant was too write a full-length narrative that would be updated in place of some of the regular TL updates.

Example:
  • TL Update
  • TL Update
  • Narrative Update
  • TL Update
  • TL Update
  • Narrative Update
Or some such pattern. I may still do this, but I'm now thinking about doing them in my free time after I've penned an update, so it doesn't take time away from when I'd write regular TL updates.

The compromise seems odd, but what do I know?

It is a bit odd, and a bit unprofessional, but remember these guys are not politicians (apart from maybe Benjamin I), they're dudes in a basement throwing around conspiratorial ideas. Whether or not their compromise (and unity) will hold if they actually gain power however, is a totally different ordeal.

The compromise seems odd, but what do I know? with Egyptian liberating themselves from the Persians, the Romans will manage to take back Anatolia? the persians would be dealt an heavy blow and that should make things easier for Theodoros...

Theodoros is obviously an ambitious and calculating man, I do think he'll see the opportunity represented here. However, even if he does manage to conquer back Anatolia, whether he'll be able to hold it is doubtful. By then, the Romans would have faced three usurpations and two hard wars, and would be easy picking for the Arabs. But, as always, we shall see.

India?

Bruce
Expansionist drive of the Romans? I was thinking more Africa and Hispania, that they'd divert their attention West after so many defeats in the East.
Uh-oh. Sounds like Aigyptos has fallen by modern times... but perhaps things will be in better shape by 2010. :)
Hoho! Fallen... Or changed so much it is no longer recognisable as "Aigyptos"? If I get to 1939... All will be revealed...

PS - of Eurasia, not Africa? Presumeably the state extends into the middle east then...

;) Presumably. What fun foreshadowing is!

Thanks all for the feedback, and stay tuned! :)

Thank you very much!

Expansionist drive of the Romans? I was thinking more Africa and Hispania, that they'd divert their attention West after so many defeats in the East.

No, I was thinking about the Muslims if they are stopped from going west. (Random thought: what would *Islam be like if the center of the Islamic world, and most Muslims, were in India? An Islamic-majority India would utterly dominate an Islam that extends no further west than Iraq and the Arabian peninsula).

Bruce

No, I was thinking about the Muslims if they are stopped from going west. (Random thought: what would *Islam be like if the center of the Islamic world, and most Muslims, were in India? An Islamic-majority India would utterly dominate an Islam that extends no further west than Iraq and the Arabian peninsula).

Bruce
Oh alright. Actually I was occasionally thinking the about the same thing: Where will the Arabs drive their expansionism if not for North Africa? Well, Seeing as the Conversion of the Rus has not happened, I was thinking about the possibility of the Muslims expanding northwards and converting/colonising the Rus. And/or conquesting the Balkans much earlier, which could have some interesting influences on the rest of Europe.

I think India is out of the capabilities of the Rashidun Caliphate. Remember to get there, they have to digest the entire Sassanid Empire, and then the Indian kingdoms. Importantly, two other successive rising powers - the Pala Empire and the Pratihara Empire, both of which were thought to have rivalled or even exceeded the Gupta Empire.

Last edited:
Oh alright. Actually I was occasionally thinking the about the same thing: Where will the Arabs drive their expansionism if not for North Africa? Well, Seeing as the Conversion of the Rus has not happened, I was thinking about the possibility of the Muslims expanding northwards and converting/colonising the Rus. And/or conquesting the Balkans much earlier, which could have some interesting influences on the rest of Europe.

I think India is out of the capabilities of the Rashidun Caliphate. Remember to get there, they have to digest the entire Sassanid Empire, and then the Indian kingdoms. Importantly, two other successive rising powers - the Pala Empire and the Pratihara Empire, both of which were thought to have rivalled or even exceeded the Gupta Empire.

They did fail to get more than the Sind in the first few Muslim centuries OTL, and it seems sensible to argue that they failed for more reasons than easier prey elsewhere. But central Asia past Transoxania is scattered Turkish nomads at this time, unprofitable and hard to to conquer: OTL, it took some centuries to convert them, and there was no real Islamic military expansion beyond the populous oasis centers, IIRC.

If they do take Anatolia, though, an early expansion into the Balkans seems quite likely, possibly by conversion as well as by conquest (the Bulgar Khans seem like a possible target for proselytization). Of course, we have received some hints that there is likely to be a Christian *Germany in the far future, judging from one of those authors and publishers, so there will be limits on how far they get that way...

Bruce

Muslim Russia? make. it. happen. :eek:

But central Asia past Transoxania is scattered Turkish nomads at this time, unprofitable and hard to to conquer: OTL, it took some centuries to convert them, and there was no real Islamic military expansion beyond the populous oasis centers, IIRC.
Yes indeed. Though I can see the Muslims expanding into Transoxania and Khorasan to gain control of the Silk Road trade routes.

B_Munro said:
If they do take Anatolia, though, an early expansion into the Balkans seems quite likely, possibly by conversion as well as by conquest (the Bulgar Khans seem like a possible target for proselytization). Of course, we have received some hints that there is likely to be a Christian *Germany in the far future, judging from one of those authors and publishers, so there will be limits on how far they get that way...
The Bulgar Khans are not yet Christian, so would be easily susceptible to Muslim influences... As would the Slavs and Avars, the former of which are already heavily settled in Macedonia, Thessaly and to a lesser extent, Achaea. I can see conversion easily reaching the northern Carpathian Mountains, but any expansion further northwards/westwards would likely bring the fury of the already Christian Italian/German states.

Muslim Russia? make. it. happen. :eek:
Haha. I'll see what I can do. :D
If this does happen, we'll probably see Central-Eastern Europe as a constant religious battleground. The butterflies will blot out the sun! :p

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

Finally, a map! Oh wow. Sorry about the wait guys.

Purple: Eastern Roman Empire. Light Blue: Sassanian Persian Empire. Pink: Avar Khanate and Slav allies. Map is clickable for a bigger size.​

I'll have the next update later today or early tomorrow at most.

It appears that today and early tomorrow have already passed in time. Where is the chapter?
yes. We demand it! :D:p
*incomprehensible murmuring* okay... Here it is... Remind me not to set myself deadlines in the future! ;):p

Chapter I: The Bureaucrat and the Pope
Part III

The_assassination_of_Chosro%C3%ABs_Parvez.jpg

Islamic depiction of the assassination of Khosrau II, found in al-Qustantiniyah, circa 12th century.

-2nd of March, 624AD. The Shahigan-i Sped[1].

His hubris has reached the point of no return! The words flew through the skull of Khosrau II 'the Ever Victorious' like ducks from a gunshot. The great king scrambled backwards, jaw jittering as the throne room filled with infantrymen. At the head of the hostile horde of glinting armour stood the devil incarnate - He wore a greying beard and chipped armour. His eyes shone with a fiery brilliance.

"I don't forgive those who cross me" Shahrbaraz proclaimed, "Not even kings. Not even emperors" upon the last word, he thumped the purple ioros[2] he wore over his armour. Shahrbaraz, the conquerer of Jerusalem, Damascus and Anatolia. Shahrbaraz, the man who had spat in the face of Christendom, by defeating Heraclius and carrying away the True Cross as a token of conquest. In a display of arrogance matched only by the sun itself, Shahrbaraz now wore the ioros of the Roman emperor he had captured. Shahrbaraz, the greatest general of the East. Who now ignored the indignations of Khosrau II as he promptly produced several enveloped papers from his robe.

"I demand of you!" yelled Khosrau II from the floor, "What is this? What in the name of Zarathustra[3] are you doing!?"

The general held up a finger, gesturing for the king to be silent as he opened the envelopes. An outrage! thought Khosrau II, He has the nerve to try and silence me! The Sassanian king! But the initial blow to the jaw that had knocked Khosrau II to the floor still stung, so he remained silent. Meanwhile, Shahrbaraz ho-humed until he reached the necessary segment of the letter.

"Listen, my dear king" he said when he'd found the segment he was after, "This is in your handwriting: '... And it is therefore necessary to have the Eran Spahbod[4] executed[5] as soon as the war with the Romans is over. With the near-absolute control he has over all apparatus of the Persian military, his immense influence over my court, and his warlike, dangerous temperament, he is a malice to us all ...'". Khosrau II said nothing, but stared vengefully at the Eran Spahbod. As if he needed further validification for what he was about to do, he shoved the letter into Khosrau II's face so he saw that is was indeed his handwriting.

"For all the mistakes I've made during my reign, at least I was right about one thing" grimaced Khosrau II, "Try actually reading what I've written on the letter. You're only validating the words!"

The burning eyes of Shahrbaraz bore into the very soul of Khosrau II as he glared at him, "No! Your words validate what is about to occur!"

"Shahrbaraz..." pleaded Khosrau II as he shuffled further away from Shahrbaraz, "Look what you're doing... Dragging us down to the level of the Romans with this petty politics!"

But Shahrbaraz did not respond. He turned his back to the king and lifted an index finger in the air. Schlok! An arrow flew into the chest of Khosrau II. At the distance of 2 meters, the arrow tore through the king like a hot knife through butter. Khosrau II staggered backwards like a drunk on his last bottle, his eyes bulging and accusing. Blood spurted in a warm geyser to the floor. Khosrau II inhaled deeply and stared in disbelief at the arrow. But then his demeanour changed.

"A-And so..." sputtered the king as he fell to his knee, a crooked smile eerily leering at the general, "And so the general takes the throne in the only way he knows..."

The king struggled forwards towards the general, wheezing breaths spotted with lifeblood. He fell onto his stomach in front of the general. Neck craning upwards to stare Shahrbaraz with mad-grey eyes, "But he'll fall..." he spat, "He'll fall by an arrow of another general"

The infantrymen around Shahrbaraz gasped and murmured at that prophetic statement. But Shahrbaraz thought nothing of it, he kicked aside the carcass and lifted the bloodied crown from the marble floor.

***​

Excerpt from the preface of The Middle East: An Early Medieval History.
© 1995 by Periklytos R. Xanthis, Nova Magnelos Press.

"... After he seized the throne of the Persians, Shahrbaraz was immediantly faced by revolt by the Persian nobles. The Sassanian dynasty had been in power for four hundred years, and it was considered to be a divine treason. But Shahrbaraz was not to be deterred, he recalled the armies from the extremities of the empire and waged war on the nobility. Unfortunately for the nobility, it was to be a short war: When an alliance of Persian nobles faced Shahrbaraz in the Battle of Hamadan, the revolting forces were crushed and although primary sources are ambiguous, it is estimated that the casualties of the revolters numbered above 10,000 while those of Shahrbaraz number less than 3,000. After routing his enemies, he proceeded to divide their estates among the leaders of his armies, in effect creating a new nobility of the Satrap-Spahbods. The powerful Houses of Karen, Suren, Varazes and Andigans were to be hunted down and after a tumultuous insurgency, totally eliminated. While this was happening, he turned his gaze to the Vastrioshansalar[6] and had him replaced with a relatively minor military engineer by the name of Borzouyeh. With the help of his armies, Shahrbaraz had carved out the government from the inside-out, leaving only the merchants and the priestly class intact. However, by drawing the armies away from other parts of the empire, he left gaping holes in the ranks of the Persian occupation forces. Indeed, it would later prove that these deficits in manpower would be the perfect springboards for the Egyptian revolts ..."

***​

-19th of March, 624AD. The streets of Alexandria.

Benjamin I looked with twinkling eyes at the young pageboys. With the Pope of Alexandria in front of them, they were totally silent in respect. Little eyes wide in reverence. "Now my little buttons" Benjamin I crooned, "You understand your task?"

"Axa!" they replied, "Ring the church alarm bells at the break of noon!" Most were very young, one was barely seven. But they understood what had to be done, and being that it was an order coming directly from the Pope, it was obvious they'd accomplish their simple missions. It was early morning, but Benjamin I was anxious to make sure everything went according to plan.

"Very well" he said to the children gathered about him, "Go now. But do not forget your task! It is of the utmost urgency!" As they scurried off into the dusty streets, Benjamin I turned to the statue of Christ upon the alter. "Lord, I beg your protection" he whispered, "For the Church, for the people..." his voice carried off as an index finger caressed the fine marblework, "... For me..."

Vasilios Kymineianos came stumbling across the field, leading the camel caravan behind him. The weapons shipment had arrived late but Vasilios had hurried the caravan with the promise of a large bonus. The entire charade was costing him dearly, but if this revolution played out, he'd see this investment grow exponentially. It's always wise to have friend in the government, but even better to be the government. "Xnouqeph!" he yelled at the camel masters, and they hurried their beasts even more, "Look! There is Dimitrios Scylitzis! And there is the legion!" Indeed, on the field opposite was Dimitrios Scylitzis himself, resplendent in the armour of a dux. In front of him was 1,200 men. They were a ragtag bunch, having been stripped of weapons and armour by the Persians.

"Chalazi friend! The caravan has arrived!" called Dimitrios Scylitzis. The legion stood to attention as the dux strolled over and took control of the caravan, "And not a moment too late" he said quietly to Vasilios as he grasped the reigns of the lead camel,

"Yes..." wheezed Vasilios, out-of-breath, "But how'd you muster all your men in the field? What of the Persians?"

"Dead" grinned Dimitrios. It was a sick grin, the grin of an executioner, "It'll buy us but a few hours. But that's all we need."

"Alright then. So you know the time and place?"

"Of course! Alexandria, the crack of noon!" Dimitrios spoke as if the event was a wedding party, "Don't forget to bring the xnke!"[7]

Vasilios grimaced slightly.

Asim Psati ran from boat-to-boat, a large cask in hand and several more of the same type on his back. Upon reaching a boat, he'd splash a mixture of naphtha, sulpher and various resins upon the deck. The deadly Greek fire[8]. It was only a small amount, but more than enough to get the fire started. The docks had been closed, "Go watch the procession!" he had told the dockworkers, and any incoming ships had been told that the port was full. His task had been clear and simple: Burn the ships before noon, diverting the attention of the Persian troops. Normally he'd refuse, but their was a reason he was targeting only the military docks.

"Hey! HEY!" yelled an indignant voice from behind him in heavily accented Greek. Oh no!

Asim turned around slowly to face his worst fear: a squad of Persian infantry. "I-I'm applying... I'm applying... Um..."

"Applying?"

"Applying waterproofing oils...! I'm the dockmaster, it's my job. Don't you recognise me?"

"Waterproofing? That's the job of the dockhand, not the dockmaster!" barked the captain, immediately suspicious "It reeks! Give that, let me see!" Asim knew he couldn't. As the captain marched towards him, hand outstretched, time slowed. As the other soldiers murmured amongst themselves in Persian. As the hot Egyptian sun throbbed down. As the welcoming procession for Shahin began. He had to act. He threw the cask of Greek fire at the captain. Kersplash!

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF -" he yelled, but Asim was too fast. He ran at the captain and pushed him to the floor, let whipped out his flint-and-steel, struck them together. Sparks flew over the downed Persian, and in an instant he was in flames. He jumped up and ran towards the water, letting out a pitiful scream as went. "GET HIM!" hollered the Persian soldiers.

Asim ran as fast as he could towards the boats. He knew he had one chance. He frantically struck the flint-and-steel together as the soldiers came closer and closer. "Come on!" he yelled desperately but then - yes! The boat burst alight. But the soldiers were upon him. They slammed into him, pressing him against the side of the boat. The flames licking his back teasingly. "Push the ratty bastard into the flames!" barked the biggest one, and they started pushing. There was a crack as the wood began to splinter, weakened by the flames. He could feel himself about to fall. In the quick, nonsensical thinking that is characteristic of men close to death, Asim simply grabbed the nearest Persian and allowed himself to fall. Here goes it! thought Asim as the pair of them tumbled into the flames.

Kyrillos Eikosidekas stood amongst the crowd as the procession began. At the helm of the procession was a large elephant - probably a trophy of war from the fabled realm of India - then, a unit of the finest cataphracts, glittering in the hot sun. Behind them, the standard-bearers of the empire and then a unit of regular footsoldiers marching in time. In the center of the procession was Shahin Vahmanzadegan, riding a fine Arabian steed in gilded armour. Trumpeters heralded the coming of the new satrap in their usual manner. But despite the festivities, the atmosphere was unmistakably gloomy. The crowd that lined either side of the street was silent for the most part, and the facial expressions were glum. The heat wasn't the only thing that was oppressive. Soon the atmosphere will change... thought Kyrillos. Around him were his men - 100 men drawn from Isaias's auxiliary regiment. They were dressed in plainclothes but would prove to be more instrumental than 1,000 armoured legionaries. It was about an hour from noon, and the signal should be coming soon... But then he noticed the Persian troops escorting the procession leave their posts and head towards the harbour, visably worried.

What!? Kyrillos's mind raced. There, on the horizon, was a towering plume of dark smoke. The boats are burning! That was it: The signal. But it is too early! If Asim was too early, it would mean the troops would be distracted too early and they'd be back by noon! The entire plan would collapse. Around him, the auxiliary troops looked to Kyrillos anxiously. He'd have to act now and execute his segment of the plan. From his robe he produced a small glass cask filled with the incendiary Greek fire. An ingenious Roman invention. He lit the fuse and threw it directly at the elephant. Then, several things happened at once. The grenade burst on the left side of the elephant's head, covering the front of the beast in flames. The 100 men under Kyrillos's command rushed forth onto the street, waving pitchforks and crude wooden spears. The Persian ranks erupted into chaos as men rushed forth to contain the screeching elephant. Chaos. Exactly what had been planned.

The auxiliaries took on the role of peasant rioters, hollering slogans and blocking the road with sharp points, preventing the procession from continuing. Although initially simply surprised, some of the crowd watching the procession joined in and the ranks of the riot gradually rose. The remaining Persian soldiers (those that hadn't went to the harbour) attempted to contain the crowd while Shahin indignantly barked orders. But without outside help, it would merely remain a street riot, so Kyrillos dashed in the direction of the nearest church. The alarm bells! They must ring!

He barged through the doors and pushed aside startled laymen. dashing down the aisle he reached the church bell. There, a young boy waited for noon. Kyrillos grabbed the rope before the child before he could react and pulled down several times. He rang for several minutes without interval: The signal for alarm. At first there was no response, but then, one bell rang in response. Suddenly, another. And then another. And then the entire city was reverberating with bells. He imagined astonished boys at their posts, ringing in response rather than run the risk that if they waited, they'd be late.

Dimitrios Scylitzis and his legion lay in wait outside the city. Hidden amongst the tombs of the necropolis to the west of the city, they were waiting for the signal to enter the city. Then he heard it: The alarms of the city rang out in a plea for help. It was too early, but Dimitrios Scylitzis had been instructed to enter when the bells rang. So he turned to his legion, a glint in his eye. "Gentlemen! Let us restore order!" he bellowed. Let us restore my power he thought inwardly. And they marched.

From his study, Benjamin I could hear it all: The yelling and footsteps of the Alexandrians as they took to the streets in their thousands, the screeching of the elephant, the clash of Persian steel against the crude weapons of the rioters, the steady and measured marching of Dimitrios Scylitzis's legion. The door bursting open. Benjamin I jumped up, startled. In the doorway, stood a drenched Asim Psati, "I'm sorry..." he panted, "The... Persians got me... It was too early..." The poor man was wet with water and slicked with a black liquid, bleeding from cuts and bruises. Benjamin I shrugged and beckoned for the man to take a seat. He held the cross hanging from his neck, the coolness of the gold calming him.

"No matter Asim. It has begun. Aigyptos is rising."

***​

So I know what you're thinking... Two usurpations? Both by bloodthirsty douchebags? Well... Shahrbaraz actually did this IOTL... Only to Khosrau II's grandson, as Khosrau II himself was killed by his own son. As for his personality, Shahrbaraz was called the "Boar of the Empire" for his warlike and aggressive personality as much as his military skill. So anyway.

Footnotes:
[1]: Shahigan-i Sped means the "White Palace", it was the imperial palace of the Persians in Ctesiphon.
[2]: The ioros was the gilded and often ornately jewelled robe worn by Byzantine Emperors.
[3]: Zarathustra is the Avastani (the sacred language of Zoroastrianism) name of Zoroaster.
[4]: Eran Spahbod means "General of Persia" and was the supreme military commander in Sassanid Persia.
[5]: IOTL, Khosrau II plotted to have Shahrbaraz executed as he feared that the general was gaining too much power. When Shahrbaraz found out, he withdrew himself and his army from the Persian military forces. Effectively rendering the greatest Persian general, and some of her best armies, useless. However, Khosrau II died before Shahrbaraz returned to Persia.
[6]: Vastrioshansalar was the Minister of Agriculture, and was one of the most powerful men in Sassanid Persia below the king.
[7]: Xnke is the Coptic word for beer, a staple of Egyptian cuisine.
[8]: The actual make-up of Greek fire is hotly debated, but is almost always said that naphtha and resin were the core ingredients.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thought I'd let you know that I'm thinking about the next set of updates, with the rise of Islam in particular and I was wondering if there is anyone here that considers themselves an expert (or at least knowledgable) on the early Caliphates or just Islam in general? If so, would they be okay with me firing questions at them once in a while? This would be a huge boon for me, as the rise of Islam is something I executed quite mediocrely in v1.0. In return for help, I'd act as your loyal sycophant for one day exactly, and bombard your enemies with the necessary "yo momma" jokes :D :p.

Very well. I'll pm you what I have to offer. You only need info from the rashidun caliphs, or just Muhammad?
But first, aren't you gonna finish the revolution in Egypt?