AHC: You'll Be Back...

In a post American Revolution POD, have at least 1 state leave and rejoin the British Empire, but not through British military might alone. The title is a Hamilton allusion.

Think Tank
Ok... this isn't working. I'll make a think tank scenario. (Admittedly this covers the US and Britain only, I'm not sure how the rest of the world would be affected due to massive butterfly effect)

The USA runs into problems with the Articles of Confederation. At this point, similar problems to our timeline occur, but with a key difference: some states seem tired of the "American Experiment" already. The Constitutional Convention happens, but they run into the slavery issue. It seems hypocritical to talk about "all men are created equal" when slavery is still a problem. IIRC at this point, slavery was fading in the north, but still present in the middle, and very prevalent in the south. Negotiations get to a head, and Georgia and the Carolinas leave over it, fearing an anti-slavery provision in the Constitution. The lack of these three states allows for an earlier end to slavery in the USA. There isn't an American Civil War here since the others aren't going to war over GA and the Carolinas due to lack of a strong military. There isn't the political will for a civil war either. Time passes until we reach the 1790s. At this point, the US has ratified the Constitution. GA and the Carolinas try to make it on their own, but they struggle. Their economy is heavily based on cotton plantations and slavery. I wouldn't be surprised if GA/Carolina's sub-experiment fails. If it does, they might rejoin the British Empire because of fears of US invasion, fulfilling the challenge. Exactly what time this happens may depend on militarization and industrialization rates. The whole situation seems very unlikely (but does resemble PGSBHurricane's "Southern-Less USA" and my own "Jefferson's Anti-Slavery Crisis").

War of 1812: It depends. The US may run into impressment problems. With a weaker US, it might not press the issue due to fears of a war it can't win.
Time further passes, and the challenge could be met if Georgia and the Carolinas join the British Empire
Andrew Jackson's Presidency probably doesn't happen because the Southerners played a big role in his election. This combined with no Georgia/Carolinas might retgone the Trail of Tears. Nullification/Force Bill don't happen either as Calhoun isn't here to complain about Jackson.

What do GA, NC, and SC look like?
-Maybe more like the Caribbean? If they joined prior to the 1830s they might be administered similar to the British Caribbean?
-Racial movements that happened in the Caribbean OTL might happen here too.
-Formation of a more "different" culture, again with more British and Caribbean influences.
-Likely to have emancipation happen similarly how it did in the British Caribbean (extends timeline a few years, but outcome is the same).
-Dominion status and later independence similar to Canada?

What do Civil Rights look like in the USA of this timeline?
-Earlier end to slavery due to the Southern states having far less influence. No Civil War.
-No Civil War means no Lost Cause.
-Racism still exists, but is more directed towards immigrants than blacks. IOTL the "slave power issue" in the 1850s took precedence over the "Know-Nothing" (Anti-Immigration) issue.
-More gradual Civil Rights progress, maybe a Civil Rights movement happens in the Progressive Era? (No Solid South to block it).

World Wars?
Assuming the US-British relationship thaws similarly to what happened, (instead of in timelines where it just gets worse, like HeX's "A More Perfect Union" and my own project), Americans and Southerners fighting side by side against the Germans? (Also assuming that German history doesn't change that much and Kaiser Wilhelm still makes the same mistakes; Archduke Franz Ferdinand is killed causing the Serbia vs. Austria-Hungary vs. Russia to escalate via alliance system)

(I'll probably make these worlds in the "50 Worlds" encyclopedia which might be my next project).

Last edited:

Deleted member 147978

Under what particular circumstances would Britannia do with Georgia and the Carolinas upon their return to the Empire?

Dominion status just like Upper and Lower Canada at the time?

I'll call in @PGSBHurricane and @Gabingston to assist you also.
Thanks for the help.
Although, "the usual suspects" (GA, SC, NC) seem like this is oddly convergent with either my project or PGSBHurricane's one. Too bad Southern-Less USA didn't go further. My project ended at its WWII equivalent, and HeX's finished after the WWI equivalent.
Maybe there is an alternate solution, where some smaller northern states leave instead? (Admittedly that might be more like "Decades of Darkness"?, but IIRC that's even less likely?)
Complete collapse of the US could lead to this, but how likely was that in the first place? Something like Napoleon53's "What Madness Is This" (but less grimdark) maybe? US collapse under Articles of Confederation, reemergence of many but not all parts, remaining parts seek British Empire for safety?

Thanks for the help.
Although, "the usual suspects" (GA, SC, NC) seem like this is oddly convergent with either my project or PGSBHurricane's one. Too bad Southern-Less USA didn't go further. My project ended at its WWII equivalent, and HeX's finished after the WWI equivalent.
Maybe there is an alternate solution, where some smaller northern states leave instead? (Admittedly that might be more like "Decades of Darkness"?, but IIRC that's even less likely?)
Complete collapse of the US could lead to this, but how likely was that in the first place? Something like Napoleon53's "What Madness Is This" (but less grimdark) maybe? US collapse under Articles of Confederation, reemergence of many but not all parts, remaining parts seek British Empire for safety?
I actually might resurrect a Southern-Less USA albeit retooled where the New England (CT, MA, NH, RI) Middle Atlantic (NJ, NY, PA), Chesapeake (DE, MD, VA), and Deep South (GA, NC, and SC) Colonies all form their own countries and try to race each other across the North American Continent because I feel like that's more unique. I discontinued it originally because I felt like it was too much of a CSA timeline set several decades earlier. Anyway, an interesting concept would be to rather have the Loyalists hijack the American Revolution early on. It was actually in the Middle Colonies, not the South, that had the highest number of loyalists given that New York was the base for British military operations in North America and New York City and Philadelphia were Loyalist strongholds OTL as the elites there were generally Loyalist.

To quote Historian Robert Middlekauff from his book The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763–1789: "The largest number of loyalists were found in the middle colonies: many tenant farmers of New York supported the king, for example, as did many of the Dutch in the colony and in New Jersey. The Germans in Pennsylvania tried to stay out of the Revolution, just as many Quakers did, and when that failed, clung to the familiar connection rather than embrace the new. Highland Scots in the Carolinas, a fair number of Anglican clergy and their parishioners in Connecticut and New York, a few Presbyterians in the southern colonies, and a large number of the Iroquois stayed loyal to the king."

Last edited:
I actually might resurrect a Southern-Less USA albeit retooled where the New England (CT, MA, NH, RI) Middle Atlantic (NJ, NY, PA), Chesapeake (DE, MD, VA), and Deep South (GA, NC, and SC) Colonies all form their own countries and try to race each other across the North American Continent because I feel like that's more unique. I discontinued it originally because I felt like it was too much of a CSA timeline set several decades earlier. Anyway, an interesting concept would be to rather have the Loyalists hijack the American Revolution early on. It was actually in the Middle Colonies, not the South, that had the highest number of loyalists given that New York was the base for British military operations in North America and New York City and Philadelphia were Loyalist strongholds OTL as the elites there were generally Loyalist.

To quote Historian Robert Middlekauff from his book The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763–1789: "The largest number of loyalists were found in the middle colonies: many tenant farmers of New York supported the king, for example, as did many of the Dutch in the colony and in New Jersey. The Germans in Pennsylvania tried to stay out of the Revolution, just as many Quakers did, and when that failed, clung to the familiar connection rather than embrace the new. Highland Scots in the Carolinas, a fair number of Anglican clergy and their parishioners in Connecticut and New York, a few Presbyterians in the southern colonies, and a large number of the Iroquois stayed loyal to the king."
That's a very interesting idea. Divisions of the US between New England, Middle Atlantic, Chesapeake, and Deep South seems like "God Save These American States" to some degree? I'm also very interested in your idea on Southern-Less USA 2.0.
Loyalists hijacking the American Revolution early on sounds intriguing. It's not exactly the same as "You'll Be Back", but very good nonetheless.

That's a very interesting idea. Divisions of the US between New England, Middle Atlantic, Chesapeake, and Deep South seems like "God Save These American States" to some degree? I'm also very interested in your idea on Southern-Less USA 2.0.
Loyalists hijacking the American Revolution early on sounds intriguing. It's not exactly the same as "You'll Be Back", but very good nonetheless.
It does seem like God Save These American States on the surface but I plan on taking it in my own direction. Also, the usual suspects thing is kind of cliche, given that it was the Middle Colonies that had the highest number of Loyalists. I think the Loyalists hijacking the Revolution makes more sense than the colonies getting independence only to revert back to the British Crown.

Last edited:
It does seem like God Save These American States on the surface but I plan on taking it in my own direction. Also, the usual suspects thing is kind of cliche, given that it was the Middle Colonies that had the highest number of Loyalists. I think the Loyalists hijacking the Revolution makes more sense than the colonies getting independence only to revert back to the British Crown.
Right. I originally made this as a Hamilton joke, and I'm glad its inspiring real discussion!

When General Prevost invaded Upstate New York in 1814, the British were fairly popular in Vermont. His fleet was built with Vermont wood and many of his supplies came from that state, too.

One of his objectives was to drive the border between New York and Quebec south. Assuming that he is victorious at Plattsburgh (easily done with a bit of luck) and he marches toward Albany, it would be feasible for Vermont to choose to join Canada in the face of an American defeat during the War of 1812. This would be "not through British military might alone", although it does require British military might.

When General Prevost invaded Upstate New York in 1814, the British were fairly popular in Vermont. His fleet was built with Vermont wood and many of his supplies came from that state, too.

One of his objectives was to drive the border between New York and Quebec south. Assuming that he is victorious at Plattsburgh (easily done with a bit of luck) and he marches toward Albany, it would be feasible for Vermont to choose to join Canada in the face of an American defeat during the War of 1812. This would be "not through British military might alone", although it does require British military might.
Interesting idea, and it fits the premise. Thank you.