Al-Andalus was in decline for centuries (corruption and decadence come into mind) and was at its death kneel by 1200 with the power balance clearly in favour of the Christian Kingdoms of Portugal, Castille and Aragon. However, I challenge you to do whatever you can to not only repel the onslaught of the Reconquista but recover Al-Andalus to long-dead glory and beyond.

Bonus points if you can recover the historical edge on science and tolerance that Al-Andalus had. Just don't make this a Muslim wank pretty please.

Point system:

+50 if it only takes you a single POD,
+25 if it takes you two PODs, and -5 points for every added POD (even if it goes into negatives)
+100 if none of the PODs occurs before 1330
(invalid if any POD occurs before 1200)

+5 for repelling the Reconquista
+15 for recovering the greatest extent of Al-Andalus
+30 for uniting Iberia
+20 for repelling the onslaught of Crusades that are inevitable with conquering the Iberian peninsula
+30 for a colonial empire on par with OTL Portugal / +60 for one on par with OTL Spain / +80 for one on par with or exceeding OTL Britain's empire
-1 for every million people that have to die, be displaced, or be forcibly converted because of Al-Andalus' colonialism (I think we all agree that killing people is bad)

+30 for a reasonably technologically advanced empire by 1600
+60 for ushering a 2nd Islamic Golden Age ;) at some stage
+40 for a tolerant society generally accepting of all religions and races (even if biased towards Islam & Andalusians) by 1600
+100 for reforming the faith (has to be done in a somewhat realistic manner) to your heart's desire

You can go as far as you wanna with this TL :p. Tell me btw if I need to alter any of the points given.

I better see those butterflies fly.

Last edited:
Muslims suffered the last major defeat at the battle of Rio salado 10 years prior

I do know a lot of Spanish history but not so much moroco from what I know after rio Salado there is no real for the Muslims to regain land as granada is just a vassal state or the crown of Castile

Unless for x reason the crowns of iberia collapse or something or you give morroco a huge super wank I don't see it happening

If you can give me an interesting enough overview of the butterflies that come from that, I'll let it slide.
Up until the late 16th century, southern Iberia had significant Muslim and Morisco populations — it’s not a stretch to think that a successful “de-conquista” attempt would throw off the balance in Castile and Aragon’s conversion efforts. Hell, there were serious concerns about an Ottoman naval invasion even in the 1560’s, which saw a minor Morisco revolt break out in the province of Andalusia.

Up until the late 16th century, southern Iberia had significant Muslim and Morisco populations — it’s not a stretch to think that a successful “de-conquista” attempt would throw off the balance in Castile and Aragon’s conversion efforts. Hell, there were serious concerns about an Ottoman naval invasion even in the 1560’s, which saw a minor Morisco revolt break out in the province of Andalusia.

The problem is who invades ?
Granada doesn't have the power

Morroco had to withdraw from Andalusia, only holding on to Algeciras until 1344 soon after the sultanate would go in decline

Any revolt of the Muslim population would be crushed by the crowns of iberia

While true they where concerns about the Ottomans they really could not have won a war in Spain but that is beside the point

I think that 1350 is just to too late for a decoquista maybe granada is never re conquered that could work but a full deconquista of iberia yeah no

Hell, there were serious concerns about an Ottoman naval invasion even in the 1560’s, which saw a minor Morisco revolt break out in the province of Andalusia.

You probably need a failing Spanish crown with Christopher Columbus never discovering the New World and the Muslims allowing trade through them (Silk Road) without putting huge taxes (thus having no incentive tot go East), then an up and coming Ottoman Empire to declare war to conquer southern Spain for all faithful Muslims (but mostly for riches and power). The population could easily uprise and betray besieged Spanish forces by letting the Ottomans in, which after they get a few ports but basically rob the whole Spanish treasury. After a Muslim state could be founded, the Moors agitate for independence, backed by Morocco and Tunis lets say, and ta-da, an independent Granada with only a failing Spain to its north. Put some above-average generals and some bad luck for Spain (including France's ambitions of Navarra and Catalonia) and a lot could be conquered. No New World and Spain ain't looking so good, where are they gonna get all that Inca gold, if only they hired that weird, genocidal, barely-experienced Italian 'explorer'... Instead, he funded his own expedition and was never heard from again...

I never said that your PODs couldn't happen in the 1500 - 1600s

You probably need a failing Spanish crown with Christopher Columbus never discovering the New World and the Muslims allowing trade through them without putting huge taxes, then an up and coming Ottoman Empire to declare war to conquer southern Spain for all faithful Muslims (but mostly for riches and power). The population could easily uprise and betray besieged Spanish forces by letting the Ottomans in, which after they get a few ports but basically rob the whole Spanish treasury. After a Muslim state could be founded, the Moors agitate for independence, backed by Morocco and Tunis lets say, and ta-da, an independent Granada with only a failing Spain to its north. Put some above-average generals and some bad luck for Spain (including France having ambitions) and a lot could be conquered.

I never said that your PODs couldn't happen in the 1500 - 1600s

Hmm yeah that could work the wealth of the new world gave enough money to match the ottoman the bad thing is that America would be sooner of later discovered with out columbus the Portuguese do to the trade of Africa and ocean gyres would discover brazil

I'm sorry, but 1350 is too late. It's like hoping that the Battle of the Bulge changes the course of WW2.

I do know a lot of Spanish history but not so much moroco from what I know after rio Salado there is no real for the Muslims to regain land as granada is just a vassal state or the crown of Castile

I think that 1350 is just to too late for a decoquista maybe granada is never re conquered that could work but a full deconquista of iberia yeah no

Alright, I really want some kind of overview of history in this alternate TL so I conceded and pushed the date back to 1250.

Soon I'll be putting the date all the way back to 750...

Ermm ok so here goes:

The Ottomans, Mamluks and North African states somehow magically put aside their rivalries and recognise the impeding threat of Castille and Aragon against the final bastion of Islam on the Iberian peninsula: The nasrid emirate of Granada. Ottoman artillery batteries, combined with mamluk heavy cavalry, Granadan infantry and Janissary shocktroops arrive on the peninsula in the late 1480s under the command of Bayezid II. (don't ask me about the logistics of this or why the Ottoman Sultan would even bother with this I have absolutely no idea how on earth this could possibly work).

The enormous army of 100K departs from the Nasrid capital (again don't ask me about the logistics). Feel free to continue I really don't know where I'm taking this...

Either that or to try to avoid the defeat at Las Navas (1212), that set in motion the decline of the Almohads, even if by that time the Muslim power in Spain was already going down.

oh this still hard

1250 : Jaime I of aragon conquered Valencia and the Ibiza , Formentera, Menorca , and Murcia

Portugal : reconquers of all Agarbe

Castile: baja extremadura , cordoba sevilla , jaen are reconquered

so you could make the muslims win battle of el rio salado they could set up at base , but then again the morocan sultante will go in decline and the castilians migth be pissed and then you can have a faster reconquista since now they dont take tribute from granada and just conquer it in the late 14th century or early 15th

If I could have a situation just 6 years earlier, I have an idea.

1344: Cola di Rienzo instead of agitating against the Papacy, instead seeks to empower the notion of a popular Tribnual ruled Rome with the Pope returning to the city of Rome. Calling for a return of the Papacy, to its powers it held under Boniface VIII and making calls that the continued decay of the Empire demanded that a true Pope and People's Republic was necessary to restore Europe and renew the Roman Empire. Fascinated by the claims and discussion made by Cola di Rienzo, Clement VI, supports the agitator but stops short of moving to Rome in 1344, instead seeing where the Tribunal goes.

1345-1347: Cola di Rienzo agitating for the Papacy, begins to attack neighbors in Italy, using his many allies, including Petrarch as propaganda pieces, he gains an alliance with Naples and Florence and proceeds to defeat the various Roman rebels throughout the Papal States, all the while making plees for the return of the Papacy to Rome. Cola di Rienzo is monumentally successful, his forces are able to capture most of the Papal states by 1347 and begins to make moves to begin to assert Papal rule over Northern Italy.

1347-1348: Fearing the loss of lands in Northern Italy and diminished authority, the Emperor Charles IV gathers an army to invade Northern Italy ans smash Cola di Rienzo. The move hampers the balance of power, as the Papacy fear Charles IV to be restoring Imperial claims upon the Papal States and Clement VI urges the emperor to reconsider said invasion. The issue is not reconsidered and instead the emperor marches into Italy, aligning with its imperial allies there, invades the Papal States, who has gathered an alliance of Florence, Naples, mercenary, Hungarians and Venetians. The Italian force are able to gain a minor victory in the war whence Charles IV is bested in battle and due to a new Papal excommunication and interdict, is forced to return to Germany to secure his crown.

1349: Inspired by the act, Clement VI praises Cola di Rienzo and orders that the next Pontiff shall decide as to the return of the Papacy to Rome or to remain in Avignon.

1350-1352: Cola di Rienzo sharpens his control over the country and continues his dissolution of the many powerful noble estates around Rome, whilst maintaining his alliance with Florence and Naples. In 1352, Clement VI dies and the 1352 Papal conclave delivers its verdict, it would elect Niccola Capocci as Pope Clement Boniface IX, who upon the perceived intent of Clement VI, declared his move to Rome.

1353: As of 1353, Boniface IX returns to Rome and upon his arrival he works alongside Cola di Rienzo in a policy of purging the French faction and restoring total Italian dominance in the cardianlship. Boniface IX alongside Cola di Rienzo proceed to make actions against perceived corruption and injustices of the cardinals, opening investigations and proceedings against them. The cardinals in opposition, leaning on recent opinions theologically regarding the power of cardinals, declare that Boniface IX is an apostate and someone who breached the limits. Further levying that their decision to elect him was a choice that was forced as the presumption of intent to move to Rome was an incorrect one. Thus, they declared Boniface IX nullified and the cardinals fled the city and made for France where they elected Pierre Desprès as Pope Clement VII.

France supported the claim of the new pope, while the kingdoms across Europe went to make their choices. Charles IV demanded an unconditional removal of his interdict and after the issue continued to deteriorate between Charles IV and both Popes after either refused the interdict's removal, proclaimed to appoint a Pope himself. Issues continue to spiral as the Plague spreads across Europe, the kings of Europe feel God is agitated and seek to double down on destroying the opposing Popes.

England
Portugal
Naples
Hungary
Florence
Venice
Papal States
Aragon
Sweden

Come to support the Roman Pontiff:

France
Castile
Brittany
Scotland
Genoa
Poland
Denmark
Norway

Support of Avignon

Holy Roman Empire
Milan

Support for the Empire

All of these spiral into greater strife as the kings of Europe battle one another and hurl excommunications. In this moment, Yusuf I makes his move and rescinds the vassalage to Castile and strikes Castilian holdings east of Seville whilst keeping coordination with Portugal. In the next years, Yusuf I is able to capture Seville and then up to Cordoba before establishing a peace after which the Roman faction gains an Iberian victory whereby King Peter I is disposed in 1355, after losing land to the Nasirds, Portuguese and Aragonese. He is replaced by Henry II and Henry II concedes peace with the Roman faction but retaining a French alliance.

Over time, the Granada kingdsom is allowed to more or less extend itself and remain a fixture of the Guadalquivir and lower regions. As the Schism draws to an end, the Papacy is rejoined, but an interest in crusades is lessened, as the Roman faction which gained victory, losing much of its prior zeal after the demise of Cola di Rienzo in 1373, compromises with its neighbors but nonetheless become focused upon centralizing its Italian holdings and becoming more integral in European affairs, while keeping watch over the Eastern issue with the rising Turkic menace.

Meanwhile, the Iberian states, more opposed to one another than otl, will be unable to unite against the Grenadines, who simply resolve themselves to deterring the northern Crusader kingdoms while assuring pilgrimage movements, trade and toleration of Christians. This is as far as I can go with such a late tl.

+50
+5
+30 (Granada will not lag behind the European states technologically, considering the Ottomans had not and the Grenadines will be more near the centre of innovation in Europe)
------
+85 points!

Ermm ok so here goes:

The Ottomans, Mamluks and North African states somehow magically put aside their rivalries and recognise the impeding threat of Castille and Aragon against the final bastion of Islam on the Iberian peninsula: The nasrid emirate of Granada. Ottoman artillery batteries, combined with mamluk heavy cavalry, Granadan infantry and Janissary shocktroops arrive on the peninsula in the late 1480s under the command of Bayezid II. (don't ask me about the logistics of this or why the Ottoman Sultan would even bother with this I have absolutely no idea how on earth this could possibly work).

The enormous army of 100K departs from the Nasrid capital (again don't ask me about the logistics). Feel free to continue I really don't know where I'm taking this...

magic space bats i guess

1344: Cola di Rienzo instead of agitating against the Papacy, instead seeks to empower the notion of a popular Tribnual ruled Rome with the Pope returning to the city of Rome. Calling for a return of the Papacy, to its powers it held under Boniface VIII and making calls that the continued decay of the Empire demanded that a true Pope and People's Republic was necessary to restore Europe and renew the Roman Empire. Fascinated by the claims and discussion made by Cola di Rienzo, Clement VI, supports the agitator but stops short of moving to Rome in 1344, instead seeing where the Tribunal goes.

1345-1347: Cola di Rienzo agitating for the Papacy, begins to attack neighbors in Italy, using his many allies, including Petrarch as propaganda pieces, he gains an alliance with Naples and Florence and proceeds to defeat the various Roman rebels throughout the Papal States, all the while making plees for the return of the Papacy to Rome. Cola di Rienzo is monumentally successful, his forces are able to capture most of the Papal states by 1347 and begins to make moves to begin to assert Papal rule over Northern Italy.

1347-1348: Fearing the loss of lands in Northern Italy and diminished authority, the Emperor Charles IV gathers an army to invade Northern Italy ans smash Cola di Rienzo. The move hampers the balance of power, as the Papacy fear Charles IV to be restoring Imperial claims upon the Papal States and Clement VI urges the emperor to reconsider said invasion. The issue is not reconsidered and instead the emperor marches into Italy, aligning with its imperial allies there, invades the Papal States, who has gathered an alliance of Florence, Naples, mercenary, Hungarians and Venetians. The Italian force are able to gain a minor victory in the war whence Charles IV is bested in battle and due to a new Papal excommunication and interdict, is forced to return to Germany to secure his crown.

1349: Inspired by the act, Clement VI praises Cola di Rienzo and orders that the next Pontiff shall decide as to the return of the Papacy to Rome or to remain in Avignon.

1350-1352: Cola di Rienzo sharpens his control over the country and continues his dissolution of the many powerful noble estates around Rome, whilst maintaining his alliance with Florence and Naples. In 1352, Clement VI dies and the 1352 Papal conclave delivers its verdict, it would elect Niccola Capocci as Pope Clement Boniface IX, who upon the perceived intent of Clement VI, declared his move to Rome.

1353: As of 1353, Boniface IX returns to Rome and upon his arrival he works alongside Cola di Rienzo in a policy of purging the French faction and restoring total Italian dominance in the cardianlship. Boniface IX alongside Cola di Rienzo proceed to make actions against perceived corruption and injustices of the cardinals, opening investigations and proceedings against them. The cardinals in opposition, leaning on recent opinions theologically regarding the power of cardinals, declare that Boniface IX is an apostate and someone who breached the limits. Further levying that their decision to elect him was a choice that was forced as the presumption of intent to move to Rome was an incorrect one. Thus, they declared Boniface IX nullified and the cardinals fled the city and made for France where they elected Pierre Desprès as Pope Clement VII.

France supported the claim of the new pope, while the kingdoms across Europe went to make their choices. Charles IV demanded an unconditional removal of his interdict and after the issue continued to deteriorate between Charles IV and both Popes after either refused the interdict's removal, proclaimed to appoint a Pope himself. Issues continue to spiral as the Plague spreads across Europe, the kings of Europe feel God is agitated and seek to double down on destroying the opposing Popes.

England
Portugal
Naples
Hungary
Florence
Venice
Papal States
Aragon
Sweden

France
Castile
Brittany
Scotland
Genoa
Poland
Denmark
Norway

Support of Avignon

Holy Roman Empire
Milan

Support for the Empire

All of these spiral into greater strife as the kings of Europe battle one another and hurl excommunications. In this moment, Yusuf I makes his move and rescinds the vassalage to Castile and strikes Castilian holdings east of Seville whilst keeping coordination with Portugal. In the next years, Yusuf I is able to capture Seville and then up to Cordoba before establishing a peace after which the Roman faction gains an Iberian victory whereby King Peter I is disposed in 1355, after losing land to the Nasirds, Portuguese and Aragonese. He is replaced by Henry II and Henry II concedes peace with the Roman faction but retaining a French alliance.

Over time, the Granada kingdsom is allowed to more or less extend itself and remain a fixture of the Guadalquivir and lower regions. As the Schism draws to an end, the Papacy is rejoined, but an interest in crusades is lessened, as the Roman faction which gained victory, losing much of its prior zeal after the demise of Cola di Rienzo in 1373, compromises with its neighbors but nonetheless become focused upon centralizing its Italian holdings and becoming more integral in European affairs, while keeping watch over the Eastern issue with the rising Turkic menace.

Meanwhile, the Iberian states, more opposed to one another than otl, will be unable to unite against the Grenadines, who simply resolve themselves to deterring the northern Crusader kingdoms while assuring pilgrimage movements, trade and toleration of Christians. This is as far as I can go with such a late tl.

+50
+5
+30 (Granada will not lag behind the European states technologically, considering the Ottomans had not and the Grenadines will be more near the centre of innovation in Europe)
------
+85 points!

yeah still a little magic space bats

Either that or to try to avoid the defeat at Las Navas (1212), that set in motion the decline of the Almohads, even if by that time the Muslim power in Spain was already going down.

Ah Las Navas, a perfect POD if you wish, a critical battle that helped pave the way for the Christians to conquest the rest of Southern Spain. The Almohads has superior numbers but of course, were caught by surprise and a general rout put the final nail in the coffin for Almohad rule in Spain. The insult to injury was the death of the Caliph after barely escaping death at the battle.

The Almohads were off a string of successes where they captured a number of cities and were so threatening that the Pope even called a crusade (although not officially). My first and only POD would be the death of Martín Alhaja at the hands of a marauding Almohad scouting party a decade before the critical battle. An act of necessary barbarity, in the middle of the night, Martín was dragged out of his rural abode and put to the sword, and told to profess his belief in Allah, the One and Only, beyond comparison, and that Muhammad was his Messenger. A proud Catholic, he was ready to face martyrdom at the hands of these infidels. He cursed them and forced his eyes shut. Then an intense pain for a split second and nothingness... he was with the Heavenly Father now.

A random act of barbarity that had untold consequences on civilisation, for there was no noble Spanish shepherd to guide the Christian armies to fight at that critical battle, through a narrow mountain pass around the main force. Instead, it was a day of irreparable loss for Spain and Christendom, for although the butterflies had pushed the battle a month later than OTL, the Spanish were left to acknowledge huge concessions to the Almohads. For when the dust rose above the morning sun after the battle, a scene of utter annihilation left even the Caliph begging "Astaghfirullah" to Allah for desecrating his creation: the dry soils of Al-Andalus ran red with pious blood and infidels lay face down in the tens of thousands...

For a gem of military history was stained by the slaying of thousands and the weeping of millions of Catholics across the continent. Muslim scouting parties found the marauding Christians armies trying to catch the army by surprise, and them setting up an ambush a few kilometres ahead. The news was rushed to the Caliph, who only stated that "What must be done, must be done, by the will of the Almighty Allah, we bring the sword to those who slay our countrymen, our undisputed five centuries of rule for they have already shunned the pen and paper." And with those words, his royal advisors and slaves alike rose and suddenly grasped determination that only paralleled those in Kalid's army prior to the Battle of Yarmouk. That mammoth of a battle had, by the grace of Allah, led to the Muslim conquest of the Levant and thus, to their very existence.

At noon, contingents of the army were sent to coax the Spanish out of their hiding in the forests, but it was to no avail. Harassing parties couldn't penetrate the well-disciplined and nearly as determined pious Catholic soldiers, and they held their position. Hours drew into days until the Caliph had a lightbulb moment. A stalemate could be broken by splitting off a significant portion of the army to slowly construct an army of torches above the valley, and a few men banged the drums of Islam, while the rest of the portion stood stealthily at the top. The Caliph set off these instructions and put the main force in direct view of the Spanish. Noticing the Caliph's tent, King Sancho VII of Navarre, tired of sitting in enemy territory, decided to act on his superior seeming numbers and rush in (in OTL, he had pulled an alexander to save the battle, but butterflies are just too strong). King Alfonso VIII of Castille critically posed no argument to this, despite his thoughts that this was a massive trap.

The Sword of Islam was just getting started. As the Spanish charged, two cavalry units on each side, charged into the Spaniards before quickly and rapidly disengaging. King Sancho simply could not ignore these units as they chipped away at his forces, so he got his cavalry to counter them. Suddenly, the Caliph's personal guard sprinted away with the Caliph, the Spaniards were not that well-disciplined and followed seeking glory and riches in slaughtering the most powerful Muslim on this side of the Mediterranean. King Sancho tried to pull them back when he realised the trap but the overwhelming "DEUS VULT" from the army meant he had no chance of being heard. The Spanish cavalry well behind the main Spanish force was ambushed and quickly routed by mobile, light infantry. The Muslims hadn't gotten off scot-free from the engagements, at this point 210 Coalition forces and 50 Muslims lay dead. But that was about to all change.

As the Christian armies ran, exhausted through the dark forest valley (night had settled in by then), bounded by two rivers beyond the hills to the sides, a somewhat familiar light lit up the hilltops. Almost like a huge force holding torches... Before they realised, the Muslims blocked off the exit back and rushed down the hill. Men, from peasants to nobility, did the equivalent of shitting themselves (and in some cases, that wasn't far from the truth), and panicked, confused and staring death in the face, split up in all directions but to no avail. The disorganised, desperate rout made for no trouble for the Muslims, and when the dust finally cleared, and the morning sun rose, over 15,000 Christians were left lifeless and decidedly sent down to the depths of Hell. Men were cut down ruthlessly, the scene was such that the Caliph sought for Allah to forgive them for they fought bravely in the name of God. A thousand acts of barbarity and heroic actions happened simultaneously, as groups of Spaniards stood back to back, killing dozens in close-quarter combat before tasting the iron tang of blood flood their mouth and their life ruthlessly ripped out of their mortal bodies.

The two kings were among the bodies lying face down on the soil. They say that they had the blood of one hundred Moors on their swords before one of their heads was removed from his body to the immense regret of the soldier who dealt the fatal blow, for he had fought with a ferocity that only could have been the Lord's intervention. The other king fell quickly without support. They were given a joint royal procession through Casablanca, such was the respect the Caliph had for the monarchs. Castile was plunged into a succession crisis that doomed the nation (Navarra's centuries-long decline could also be seen from the aftermath of the massacre), formed both from the disastrous news of the battle and the loss of a king. And it was with the violent death of a humble shepherd a decade earlier, that the fate of Europe was changed forever...

Last edited:
Ah Las Navas, a perfect POD if you wish, a critical battle that helped pave the way for the Christians to conquest the rest of Southern Spain. The Almohads has superior numbers but of course, were caught by surprise and a general rout put the final nail in the coffin for Almohad rule in Spain. The insult to injury was the death of the Caliph after barely escaping death at the battle.

The Almohads were off a string of successes where they captured a number of cities, and were so threatening that the Pope even called a crusade (although not officially). My first and only POD would be the death of Martín Alhaja at the hands of a marauding Almohad scouting party a decade before the critical battle. An act of necessary barbarity, in the middle of the night, Martín was dragged out of his rural abode and put to the sword, and told to profess his belief in Allah, the One and Only, beyond comparison, and that Muhammad was his Messenger. A proud Catholic, he was ready to face martyrdom at the hands of these infidels. He cursed them, and forced his eyes shut. Then an intense pain for a split second and nothingness... he was with the Heavenly Father now.

A random act of barbarity that had untold consequences on civilisation, for there was no noble Spanish shepherd to guide the Christian armies to fight at that critical battle, through a narrow mountain pass around the main force. Instead, it was a day of irreparable loss for Spain and Christendom, for although the butterflies had pushed the battle a month later than OTL, the Spanish were left to acknowledge huge concessions to the Almohads. For when the dust rose above the morning sun after the battle, a scene of utter annihilation left even the Caliph begging "Astaghfirullah" to Allah for desecrating his creation: the dry soils of Al-Andalus ran red with pious blood and infidels lay face down in the tens of thousands...

For a gem of military history was stained by the slaying of thousands and the weeping of millions of Catholics across the continent. Muslim scouting parties found the marauding Christians armies trying to catch the army by surprise, and them setting up an ambush a few kilometres ahead. The news was rushed to the Caliph, who only stated that "What must be done, must be done, by the will of the Almighty Allah, we bring the sword to those who slay our countrymen, our undisputed five centuries of rule for they have already shunned the pen and paper." And with those words, his royal advisors and slaves alike rose and suddenly grasped determination that only paralleled those in Kalid's army prior to the Battle of Yarmouk. That mammoth of a battle had, by the grace of Allah, led to the Muslim conquest of the Levant and thus, to their very existence.

At noon, contingents of the army were sent to coax the Spanish out of their hiding in the forests, but it was to no avail. Harassing parties couldn't penetrate the well-disciplined and nearly as determined pious Catholic soldiers, and they held their position. Hours drew into days, until the Caliph had a lightbulb moment. A stalemate could be broken by splitting off a significant portion of the army to slowly construct an army of torches above the valley, and a few men banged the drums of Islam, while the rest of the portion stood stealthily at the top. The Caliph set off these instructions and put the main force in direct view of the Spanish. Noticing the Caliph's tent, the Spanish commander, tired of sitting in enemy territory, decided to act on his superior seeming numbers and rush in...

even during the battle had king sancho not pulled an alexander they migth have lost

England
Portugal
Naples
Hungary
Florence
Venice
Papal States
Aragon
Sweden

France
Castile
Brittany
Scotland
Genoa
Poland
Denmark
Norway

Support of Avignon

Holy Roman Empire
Milan

Support for the Empire

+50
+5
------
+85 points!

*claps* *claps* *claps* *claps* *claps* *claps* *claps*

Might be somewhat unlikely (but if those series of events did happen, it would work), but you pulled out 85 points from a difficult scenario. I'll add another 100 points because you stuck close enough to the original date ;)

Damn, you did well and put a lot of effort into that!