AHC/WI: Zoroastrianism holdouts in Tabaristan

Reading about the history of Zoroastrianism is a fascinating and tragic one. Once the dominant religion of Iran, after the Arab Conquests, Zoroastrianism slowly declined as its followers were persecuted in their own homeland. However, Zoroastrianism survives as one of the oldest religions in the world, some in Iran and mostly in India with the Parsi.

Now, looking back at Iranian history, one region in particular that I also find fascinating is the region of Tabaristan (Modern-Day Mazandaran) on the Caspian Sea. After the fall of the Sassanian Empire, it was the last holdout for the Dayubid Dynasty, until it was conquered by the Abbasids. Afterwards, it was ruled over by various local dynasties, such as the Bavandids, Qarinvandids, the Zarmihrids and the Baduspanids, the last of which survived for 933 years, till the Safavids conquer the Baduspanids. Most of these local dynasties started off as Zoroastrians, but eventually converted to Islam. There was also the Daylamites, who lived modern-Gilan, and were originally a mixture of religions such as Christians, Zoroastrians but mainly Iranian Pagans, until they converted to various sects of Islam later down the centuries

Also, I should note an interesting case was the Ziyarid Dynasty, which was founded by Mardavij, who was a Zoroastrian that conquered a portion of Iran and had ambitions to restore the glory of the Sassanian Empire.... He was later assassinated, and his successors converted to Islam. Eventually, the Ziyarids lost land to other powers such as the Buyids (Who were actually of Daylamite origins), the Samanids and the Nizari Ismaili State of Hashashins (Yes. Those Assassins)

With that context out of the way, and as improbable as it would be, what if Zoroastrianism remained strong in Tabaristan? Like if the Dayubids weren’t conquered by the Abbasids, giving Zoroastrianism stronger position in Tabaristan? Now, given what happened to Iran throughout the centuries (Arabs, Seljuk Turks, the Mongols, Tamerlane, other Iranian Dynasties, ETC) whether the Dayubid Dynasty itself survives is debatable (The Baduspanids survived for a long time, but they did convert to Islam). But still, despite what happens to whoever rules the region, what if Tabaristan became a stronghold for Zoroastiranism?

Last edited:

kholieken

Banned
It would change Iran greatly :
- there would be millions more Zoroastrian in modern world.
- existence of nearby Zoroastrian realm would boost number of Zoroastrian minority in Iran.
- having non-Muslim realm close by and likely as vassal, would affect Muslim political philosophy. Large minority would also affect Iranian culture.
- strong Zoroastrian minority might affect how non-Muslim regime such as il-Khanate ruling Iran.
- there is chance some of post-Abbasid rebellion and syncretism become more popular and affect Iranian history.

So, bringing this back up, had the region of Tabaristan remained a bastion of Zoroastrian in the face of Islam, what would be the culture like in this region?

I love the idea of a Zoroastrian Tabaristan, but I'm not sure how workable it is. Being a Zoroastrian holdout surrounded by Muslim powers pretty much paints a target on your back, and even the native Zoroastrian dynasties that avoided Arab conquest eventually converted to Islam on their own.

If anyone does have an idea for how Zoroastrianism could plausibly hold out in the region, I would be very interested in hearing it : P

Last edited: