AHC/WI: Tripolar Germany

How would you get a third great power, other than the Netherlands, Austria and Prussia being the first two, in 18th & 19th century Germany, and what might the effects be?

Could a Bavarian-Wittelsbach union be powerful enough for this?

yeah ... Bavaria would probably be the best bet for becomming a third German powersource ... specially if they managed to incorperate Swabia at some point before, or just after, 30 years war

Maybe if Hannover gets some territory at the vienna conference?

Hannover did get some territories at the Congress of Vienna. Still I agree, that at this point Bavaria is your best bet.

Regarding Hannover, ending the personal union with the UK sooner could make them more orientated on the German Lands and thus make them more important in the area.

Hannover did get some territories at the Congress of Vienna. Still I agree, that at this point Bavaria is your best bet.

Regarding Hannover, ending the personal union with the UK sooner could make them more orientated on the German Lands and thus make them more important in the area.

Perhaps surviving princess Charlotte? But I am not sure, if this is enough for powerful Hannover. Probably we need even earlier POD for third German great power.

Austria wins at Koniggratz, and Franz Josef reneges on his promise to hand over Venetia to Napoleon III. Nappy responds by occupying the Rhine valley, and insisting that all or nearly all of the Rheinprovinz and Westphalia be united to Bavaria - more than doubling its area and population.

Nappy hopes this will keep Germany nicely divided for the indefinite future. It doesn't, of course, and a German union run by a triumvirate merges a few years down the line.

Would Saxony have a chance with a different Napoleonic War?

I think Saxony's chances were badly crimped by its history of getting stomped on by Prussia, and its proximity to that neighbour. It can't expand east, north, or south by much without coming upo against bigger powers, and it could still be seen as a threat by Berlin. Bavaria, on the other hand, could credibly gain strong influence in all of the Catholic south all the way to the non-Prussian Rhine valley (if Prussia does not get the entire Rheinprovinz, even further north). THe Austrians are often too distracted, and the French might well see Bavarian domination there as perferable to Prussian, assuming they are in a position to affect the distribution (i.e. we aren't talking 1814/15).

Come to think of it, if the king were game, Bavaria would make an excellent French ally in the region.

Of course, my favourite scenario is a strong Hanover (including the Rhine/Ruhr) and a powerful Baden (controlling Franconia and Wurttemberg) dividing the Western half of Germany, but that ain't gonna happen.

find a way for the Netherlands to remain within the HRE while getting more of the Southern Netherlands and some Rhinish areas, that would provide you with the third German power.

Since the Dutch have not gone away from the German Reich they would be seen as German