AHC/WI: Poland stays independent

There's been little love for Poland on this board, so I've decided to try and move ahead with a tl idea. Suppose Poland manages to survive the 18th Century as an independent entity, what would be the ramifications of such?

I've had François Louis, the Prince of Conti as a POD in managing to claim the throne without Augustus usurping it. Given that it's not likely he would live longer than he did, is his military talent and time as king enough to make an impact? Can France succeed in keeping their Conti kin as rulers of Poland? Would this have a major impact in the balance of Europe?

There's been little love for Poland on this board, so I've decided to try and move ahead with a tl idea. Suppose Poland manages to survive the 18th Century as an independent entity, what would be the ramifications of such?

I've had François Louis, the Prince of Conti as a POD in managing to claim the throne without Augustus usurping it. Given that it's not likely he would live longer than he did, is his military talent and time as king enough to make an impact? Can France succeed in keeping their Conti kin as rulers of Poland? Would this have a major impact in the balance of Europe?

The Austrians realised (after the fact) that the Partitions of Poland were a disaster for them, because they brought Russia so far forward. Perhaps a better relationship between Poland and Austria perhaps? And I like the idea of the Conti as king, as Augustus was a disaster. Problem is that you still need to change the attitude of the Sejm towards reform. You need to have them move away from an elective monarchy towards something more stable. Can the Conti do that?

Poland is NOT independent at that time, it is in a union with Lithuania but it is the dominant partner, why not have the union with Lithuania not happen in the first place.

Poland is NOT independent at that time, it is in a union with Lithuania but it is the dominant partner, why not have the union with Lithuania not happen in the first place.

I suppose, I just don't know much of the Commonwealth's history, even less of the Piast Era. Having a 17th-18th Century POD also lessens the butterfly effect.

I suppose the biggest issue is whether or not France will be invested in keeping Poland since Austria and Russia are going to fight over it.

I've actually been musing a TL centered on the War of Bavarian Succession that may see Poland-Lithuania stay relatively independent. The First partition will still occur but I plan on Poland gaining some territory back. The only problem is I can think of any concrete ways to hold back Russia and Prussia once the Wars of the French Revolution begin. Any thoughts or suggestions from members of the Forum?

Given that Prussia was murdered during the Revolutionary wars (and resurrected, granted) I'd think Russia is the real issue. And for Russia, just having an effective Russian puppet on the throne for the crisis years could result in Poland(-Lithuania) only losing as much land as Russia could snatch without harming their puppetry.

Once the crisis is over, the powers that be won't let Russia just annex Poland if they can help it.