AHC/WI: Other River Valley Civilizations?

What about the Amur? One of the ten longest rivers on earth. Watershed is huge.

Interestingly, the Indus Valley civilization seems to have been based on the Ghaggar/Sarasvati river, and vanished when it dried up.

I'll quote my earlier response from another thread:

Korean civilization probably had its origins along the Liao River, possibly beginning with the Hongshan culture (4700-2900 BC), as artifacts from the region bear similarities with those excavated from the Korean Peninsula dating back to the same time period. This was then followed by the Lower Xiajiadian (2200-1600 BC) and the Upper Xiajiadian (1000-600 BC) cultures, of which the former was matched by a sudden increase in settlement and population. Archeological evidence, specifically dolmen, bronze daggers, and stylized pottery begin to appear in large numbers within Liaoxi and Liaodong by 1000 BC or so (although bronze products appear around 1500 BC), and spread to the Korean Peninsula by 700 BC or so. However, more sophisticated ones begin to appear around what is now Pyongyang by 300 BC, which coincides with the invasion of Gojoseon by the Yan around that time, while historical records suggest that the first major migration into the peninsula also occurred then, as numerous individuals would have attempted to flee from the chaos.

After Gojoseon's collapse in 108 BC, Buyeo, Goguryeo, and Balhae limited their territorial extent to east of the Liao River for a millennia, although Goguryeo temporarily seized Liaoxi after its victory over the Sui. After Balhae's fall in 926, Goryeo and Joseon managed to gradually extend their control up to the Yalu (Amrok) and Tumen (Duman) Rivers, and although Goryeo temporarily extended its control to Liaodong under Yuan influence, it never managed to exert direct control, and Joseon renounced all claims soon after.

However, it's important to note that it would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, for an entity to retain control of both Liaoxi and Liaodong, as it would have directly confronted another one militarily expanding from the Huang He and/or the Yangtze. In addition, the northeastern culture does not seem to have possessed an independent writing system, which would have eventually caused it to adopt that of its neighbor, leading to gradual cultural assimilation. On the other hand, various Korean successors could have retained most of the territory east of the Liao River until the present if events had gone differently, making it relatively easier to analyze the cultural continuity for millennia.

In other words, while the cultural region around the Liao River had remained stable for several millennia, military expansions from China (originally from the Yellow River) gradually pushed the culture further south into the peninsula, which in turn may have gradually pushed the peninsular civilization out into the Japanese archipelago over time.

What about the Amur? One of the ten longest rivers on earth. Watershed is huge.

The Amur was closer to "Siberia" than it was to "Manchuria," making it much more difficult for a culture to continuously flourish when temperatures often dropped below freezing.

I’d like to throw in the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New York. It has extremely fertile floodplains, it is located in a temperate climate zone, and it is geologically owne of thr most ancient rivers on Earth. My (obviously-biased) Pennsylvania-born earth science professor once put it on par with great rivers like the Nile and the Yangtze in terms of its agricultural potential. The indigenous people never had much opportunity to take advantage, however - the Susquehannocks were hunter-gatherers until recieving the Mesoamerican crop package fairly late, and shortly after that, the Europeans showed up.

I’d like to throw in the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New York. It has extremely fertile floodplains, it is located in a temperate climate zone, and it is geologically owne of thr most ancient rivers on Earth. My (obviously-biased) Pennsylvania-born earth science professor once put it on par with great rivers like the Nile and the Yangtze in terms of its agricultural potential. The indigenous people never had much opportunity to take advantage, however - the Susquehannocks were hunter-gatherers until recieving the Mesoamerican crop package fairly late, and shortly after that, the Europeans showed up.

I guess I could see it developing. But I need to do some research.

The indigenous people never had much opportunity to take advantage, however - the Susquehannocks were hunter-gatherers until recieving the Mesoamerican crop package fairly late, and shortly after that, the Europeans showed up.

'crop package' is the key thing here. If you want a river valley civilization, you have to have a reliable food source, something beyond 'hunter/gathering'. A lot of the places mentioned on this topic seem to have had river valley civilizations, but only after crop packages/domesticated animals got there from somewhere else. If the POD here is to kickstart them earlier... gotta get them something to farm. Not sure of just what the OP is looking for here... are we looking for other absolutely first 'cradles of civilization' comparable in time and scale to Mesopotamia and Egypt, or just other river valley civilizations regardless of the time they start? The first is difficult, the second not so much...

There actually appear to have been quite a few early civilizations along other major rivers, that happened to collapse at some point. The Amazon, the Indus/Sarasvati, the Danube, the Usumacinta (Mayan civilization) and I would include the Mississippi too.

Civilizations seem to be very fragile when they are in their early stages. It appears that they become more stable only once they reach a sufficiently advanced social/technological stage that they can survive climatic stresses that would have destroyed them at an earlier time. (Or not, it appears that environmental stress and resource depletion due to overexploitation of natural resources have had large roles in their collapses.)

So maybe it was pure chance that the civilizations on the Nile, the Tigris/Euphrates and the Huang-He survived? It seems possible to me that if history could be re-run, the civilizations on the Danube and the Amazon might survive while those on the Huang-He and Euphrates collapse.

Maur

Banned
There actually appear to have been quite a few early civilizations along other major rivers, that happened to collapse at some point. The Amazon, the Indus/Sarasvati, the Danube, the Usumacinta (Mayan civilization) and I would include the Mississippi too.

Civilizations seem to be very fragile when they are in their early stages. It appears that they become more stable only once they reach a sufficiently advanced social/technological stage that they can survive climatic stresses that would have destroyed them at an earlier time. (Or not, it appears that environmental stress and resource depletion due to overexploitation of natural resources have had large roles in their collapses.)

So maybe it was pure chance that the civilizations on the Nile, the Tigris/Euphrates and the Huang-He survived? It seems possible to me that if history could be re-run, the civilizations on the Danube and the Amazon might survive while those on the Huang-He and Euphrates collapse.
Well, nothing would survive what happened to Indus civilization, aka the river drying up ;). It did not really end, more like moved to Indus (from Sarasvati) and Ganges. Mississipi is somewhat special case, due to its being located in America (in old world it would be hard to have early civ that later on gets hit by diseases as virgin soil).

I dont know about the others, though. Whats the difference between Amazon/Mississipi and Mesoamerica/Andes? I mean, not much left was of the former, while the later sort of survived as civilizations (meaning, there was a urbanisation left, if on lower level)

In any case, thats partly what i pointed before. The main four had very stable environment. The Nile, Huang-he and Tigris/Euphrates cant dry up short of huge global climate change (neither can Indus/Sarasvati, they just changed their riverbeds, something Huang-he and iirc Tigris did a lot, too. They couldnt really be overexploited, either, you cant destroy the environment by deforestation or something, since these areas are not very forested in first place, and its soil is not dependent on existing forests either.

And all of them got hit realld hard by invaders, including nomads, and survived.

In other words, the other rivers, danube, the mayan one, or Amazon, were completely dfferent environments.

I suppose if people really wanted to compare the two it would be to look at the climates of say the Mississippi and Tigris at the same time frames.

I believe the cause of the Mississippi collapse was more a cause of overpopulation, famine, pestilence, and the acompanying warfare and breakdown of order that came with it. The Native North American language groups were at one point a large similar group but then something occured which caused the group or groups to split into the very, very, very varied and isolate groupings.

Rather then coalesce they split apart and drifted. If we take the case of the Nile the reason why their cultural group primarily did not drift was due to geography. The same for most of the Tigris and Euphrates, hemmed in as they were by the deserts and mountains external invasions happened but they were Inbelieve far between one another which favored theu consolidation of government and society.

The Mississippi and Danube are not as hemmed in geographicly.

It is commonly thought that the Amazon civilization did survive until being devastated by European diseases. They had a different problem than the Danubians.

Id be favorable to the writing of a California Civilization TL.

Well, for the case of my TL Totems and Salmon the big tie in is of course similar to Black and Gold's development of a agricultural food source which spurs the development of agriculture and thus civilization in the complex sense. Geography for the Wilamette favors a unified culture group which largely sheltered from large movements of people leads to expansion and expansion.

I got this idea from another thread I made, maybe if there was a potato like plant in Northern Europe then there could be a civilization in the Thames Valley or somewhere like that?

What about the New Guinean Sepik and Fly Rivers? New Guinea had very early agriculture, perhaps even the earliest agriculture in the world, predating even Mesopotamia; see Kuk Swamp.

As for Amazonia, it does seem a bit odd that civilization thrived so much in the relatively inhospitable Andes yet never got a strong foothold in the Amazon Basin, given the enormous agricultural potential of the region and its countless crops. Not to mention that the Amazon is navigable all the way up to Iquitos even by modern ships.

Also, no one has mentioned the Orinoco River Basin, which has a climate very similar to that of much of Amazonia

Id be favorable to the writing of a California Civilization TL.
Living in California myself, if faster growing varieties of oaks could be domesticated, a Californian civilization based around the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Valley seems completely plausible. If you want to write a TL on the subject, I have a good amount of knowledge on the subject of Precolumbian California.