AHC/WI: Nuclear Energy for Developing/Rural Areas

Delta Force

Banned
I was thinking of a PoD in the mid-1950s around the time of the Power Reactor Demonstration Program when I first wrote this, but now I think a later PoD in the late 1960s or early 1970s might have been an option too.

Around that time, the recently admitted state of Alaska was looking to diversify its economy and lower energy costs. One project that came up was Rampart Dam, but it would have required energy exports to Canada and the Pacific Northwest to fully utilize its output. Natural gas and coal were also considered, but weren't economically viable, leaving only small and medium size hydroelectric facilities and nuclear energy as viable options at the time.

As it turns out Alaska just went with small scale distributed generation, but what if there had been more of a push for the nuclear power option? At the time the push was mostly for larger and newer reactors by American utilities (at least the large ones), but perhaps a combination of lobbying from Alaska and interest from the Atomic Energy Commission, State Department, and perhaps even elements of the Department of Defense at just the right time could have led to more of a focus on smaller factory produced designs? The military had designs that could be flown in to remote areas on rugged transport aircraft or towed to location on barges, so the capability was already there, although not necessarily in commercial/civilian form.

It's also worth pointing out that any reactor designed for service in Alaska would be rugged and safe enough for use just about anywhere, since it would require extensive seismic shock protection (the state suffering a 9.2 magnitude earthquake in 1964) and the ability to safely shutdown without use of external power supplies. That would make the reactor well suited for use in harsh conditions, as well power grids with less stable energy supplies.

Delta Force

Banned
Could the United States Air Force and United States Army nuclear power programs have gained more support from Congress if they proposed bringing nuclear energy to some of the states where they had operations, especially the less populated ones? Perhaps they could sway Alaska, Hawaii, and parts of the upper Midwest?

Where rural power comes in is that the reactors kept growing in size and thus cost, so they were only really useful for large firms in areas with large demand for electricity. In many cases this meant national electricity companies (or the national electricity company) in developed nations and more urbanized or industrialized areas. However, the United States has many smaller utilities in rural areas, both publicly owned and cooperatively owned. They didn't need and couldn't afford the ever larger reactors.

Reactors kept growing in size, because bigger was cheaper per megawatt. Since even the largest nuke plants aren't actually economically competitive, small ones would bankrupt any rural utility that tried to run one.

The other thing is, many nuclear sites have multiple reactors. This, again, allows economies of scale - (although more in terms of upkeep and maintenance, I think). So. No, it's a really bad idea.

it was why i suggested RTG's, those were actually suggested once for rural communities (of course would still be way expensive)

it was why i suggested RTG's, those were actually suggested once for rural communities (of course would still be way expensive)
Right. RTGs.
Well, they'd power a single house. The biggest RTG built, afaik, was 3kw. That's enough to run 2 electric kettles at once....

Plus, did you mention 'EXPENSIVE!'?

Delta Force

Banned
Reactors kept growing in size, because bigger was cheaper per megawatt. Since even the largest nuke plants aren't actually economically competitive, small ones would bankrupt any rural utility that tried to run one.

It would depend on what they have to compete with. There are still some areas that are running petroleum fired power plants because they are too remote from natural gas infrastructure. Small units also have much better inherent safety than larger ones, and a failure to acknowledge that is why larger units were faced with such expensive retrofit costs in the 1970s and 1980s.

The other thing is, many nuclear sites have multiple reactors. This, again, allows economies of scale - (although more in terms of upkeep and maintenance, I think). So. No, it's a really bad idea.

When you consider that the average coal fired power plant is around 400 megawatts or so, the gigawatt class super reactors that have been built since the late 1960s are as powerful as two to four of them. The thing people tend to forget is that electricity consumption was also massively growing during the period in which nuclear was being developed, doubling about every decade. Fossil fuel power plants have constraints due to energy density, waste storage sites, and rail/pipeline infrastructure requirements, but nuclear power plants have very high energy density and are more easily scaled. Essentially, if nuclear power plants had stayed around the same size per unit as fossil fuel power plants, then most nuclear power facilities would have four or even eight units. 400 megawatts is still a lot of power, so they're not really small modular reactors, but perhaps they could be considered medium modular reactors.

Right. RTGs.
Well, they'd power a single house. The biggest RTG built, afaik, was 3kw. That's enough to run 2 electric kettles at once....

Plus, did you mention 'EXPENSIVE!'?

Even if it's automated and has a high degree of intrinsic safety, it would be very risky to leave a container full of radioactive material alone or minimally manned in a remote location. If it needs a 20 person security team and a crew to monitor it anyways, why not just go for a far more economical small nuclear reactor or just about any other source of power?