AHC/WI: Make Duke Nukem Forever good

Gan

Banned
What would need to change to make Duke Nukem Forever a good game, while still keeping with a ~2011 release (no sooner than 2009 or 2013)? And how much would a revived Duke Nukem Franchise affect the gaming market?

Cancel the game and ditch everything, then sometime around '08 or '09 start development on a new Duke Nukem game and call it Duke Nukem Forever.

It should make the game less of a mess, and mean the world doesn't have to suffer through a decade of jokes like "It's called Duke Nukem Forever because it's taking forever!" Ideally, you want people to laugh at the game itself and not at the game's development time and such.

I think Duke Nukem had something of an identity crisis as a result of its long development history which resulted in a game that could not decide if it wanted to be Retro ( akin to the 90s era shooters) or Modern ( COD4/Half life onwards era). I think the developers were to afraid to commit to either branch for fear of alienating fans. This was a big mistake.
Duke Nukem Forever should have gone full retro-no cover shooting, health pick ups, no weapon limit, no driving sections and limited puzzle solving sections. It should have taken its inspiration from the likes of Duke Nukem 3D with tough varied enemy designs and a relentless pace. In fact, I think this approach would leave you with a game that would strongly resemble Doom 2016 in gameplay but much earlier. Duke Nukem could have also done with more humor drawn from 80s actions films-Terminator, Commando etc or perhaps follow the style of the new Shadow warrior which revived a similar cheesy one note character with decent writing and dialogue.
I think a Duke Nukem with some of the above suggestions could have been a real success and offered an alternative to the po-faced gritty COD-style shooters which dominated the market back then. If it did succeed then I could see a surge in less serious or more comic based shooters which focus less on realism for a few year.

Asami

Banned
FWIW Duke Nukem Forever is far from bad. It just suffers from the vapourware moniker and the fact that it’s a late 90s shoot-em-up that is Shanghai’d in a different culture and nostalgic view of the earlier Duke games.

If you want DNF to be seen as a great game, have it be finished and released by the end of the 20th century, as originally intended.

Cancel the game and ditch everything, then sometime around '08 or '09 start development on a new Duke Nukem game and call it Duke Nukem Forever.

It should make the game less of a mess, and mean the world doesn't have to suffer through a decade of jokes like "It's called Duke Nukem Forever because it's taking forever!" Ideally, you want people to laugh at the game itself and not at the game's development time and such.
The 2001 version from the trailer seemed the most promising though. Maybe development could have been accelerated on that one?

They kept trying to keep with whatever the development of the game had been, despite the fact that there had been so many generations of development, and they had to redesign it from scratch over and over. They should have just thrown everything out and started a project totally from the ground up even in game concept.

Yahtzee Croshaw was approached about writing it, and did a preliminary idea. It got turned down for not taking the thing seriously enough.

You want a good game? Use his idea. Whatever it was, it'd be glorious.