Heya! I've been trying to find a way for the Moors to set up their own state after the collapse of Granada in 1492, when they effectively lost statehood.

IOTL, I've found two attempts at the establishment of a Morisco/Mudéjar state:
  1. The Morisco Revolt from 1568-71. The Moors rallied after Aben Humeya to establish their own kingdom in Granada. The revolt collapsed due to infighting, with Humeya being assassinated at the worst possible moment. The general consensus seems to be that even if the Moriscos were entirely united and enjoyed Ottoman/Moroccan support, it's still practically impossible for a Moor kingdom on the border with the Spanish homeland to survive. So this one's off the table.
  2. The Republic of Salé. This one is incredibly interesting, no idea how it went under my nose for so long. It was an Andalusi state in Morocco populated by Moroscos, was led by an Islamized Dutchman, and used Spanish and an indigenous Spanish creole as lingua francas. The main issues faced by the republic were its small size, a tiny population consisting largely of pirates, and a Moroccan neighbour determined to assert their rule.
With this in mind, how could a Moorish (whether Mudéjar, Morisco, or both) state exist and survive in the Maghreb after Granada falls? Salé seems like the best bet, but it's not only rather late (in the middle of the 17th century), it also faces an uphill battle to exist afaik. It's just genuinely too small, and Morocco, who wants to control the land, is next door. I could perhaps see Salé survive with a European sponsor (maybe the English or Portuguese?), but that still leaves several issues, like its small territory and its low population that mostly comprises pirates.

I was thinking that, perhaps, an Iberian country (Spain or Portugal) could prop up a Moorish country in Morocco as a buffer or in order to gain influence in the region, but that's a huge stretch. How could the Moors have a country somewhere after 1492? (In theory, it doesn't need to be in North Africa, but in practice, I think it's the only plausible location where such a state could exist)

My first thought- have a Granadan or mudejar refugee simply use their identity as andalusians/ personal political skills to form a base that allows them to challenge the Saadi rise and supplant the wattasids.

My second thought- thats difficult because the rise of the Saadians and later the alaouites was as much a religious affair as a political one, given how strongly Sufi saintly auras legitimised Muslim monarchs in the early modern era and the Granadans simply don’t have those Sufi connections. Also the mudejars are at a double disadvantage here because of the fact that they were otl seen as second class Muslims by both granadans and Maghrebis (a mudejar shouldn’t be allowed to lead prayer, their testimony is worth less in court etc) because they’ve been forced to adapt to being Muslim in a situation where knowledge of Arabic and access to Islamic authorities is severely limited, leading to a culture of translating into Aljamiado. Because the Quran, hadiths and other materials for the religious sciences were now in the exact same language that they natively spoke, that also meant they were less reliant on fuqaha to interpret them and pronounce rulings.

My third thought- it would make for an incredible story if an incredibly talented mudejar refugee in the Maghreb recognises how his understanding of Islamic culture differs from standard Maghrebi culture and instead of assimilating, vigorously defends it and becomes a religious reformer- insisting on the idea that the ummah should be able to understand the religious sciences in their own vernacular and that there is no real need for fuqaha at all, as all good Muslims should have enough training in the religious sciences that consensus can be found. He calls for a return to the first days of Islam, where the caliph ruled with the assent of the shura and consulted them- but also is inspired by his practical first hand knowledge of the Cortes of Aragon as a check on monarchical authority.

He pronounces himself the mujadid of the second Islamic millennium, come to dispense a new age, just like Safavid shahs and Mughal emperors were doing at the same time in the east, and his religious fervor and political innovations attract allies. After seizing a few major cities, he builds on his calls for the democratisation of the Islamic sciences by establishing an Arabic type printing press which he uses as an effective propaganda machine to further disseminate his reformist agenda. Also maybe as a young man he personally served in the Aragonese army during the conquest of Granada, as many mudejars did, and that gave him first hand experience of proto tercios- he’s thus able to back up his revolutionary credentials with cold hard victories, and the first step of his movement was to secure access to firearms.

By the 1600s, the Maghreb has a new caliphate- one with a self consciously mudejar identity, with a form of Iberian romance in Arabic script both the first language of the reigning dynasty and prized as a language of culture, maybe even the primary administrative language in some regions- this slowly seeps through maghrebi society such that andalusi, arabi and Berber are the three maghrebi languages. Given enough millennial fervour as we approach a thousand years of Islam, this movement could potentially seize the entire Maghreb- at which point the Iberian kingdoms should be very worried. Given the financial crises of Philip IIIs reign who knows- the Mudejar caliphate might even set its sights on a capital in Seville.

This process might take a couple generations- the first would be needed to establish the movement as a religious reform that wasn’t going away, the second to catapult that reform movement into political power, and the third to begin enforcing that over the political class of the whole area. Refugees from Spain who were otl bilingual in Arabic and romance who otl would have dropped the romance for Arabic here maintain their knowledge of romance to signal political affiliation with the rising star of the new caliphate.

Last edited:
My first thought- have a Granadan or mudejar refugee simply use their identity as andalusians/ personal political skills to form a base that allows them to challenge the Saadi rise and supplant the wattasids.

My second thought- thats difficult because the rise of the Saadians and later the alaouites was as much a religious affair as a political one, given how strongly Sufi saintly auras legitimised Muslim monarchs in the early modern era and the Granadans simply don’t have those Sufi connections. Also the mudejars are at a double disadvantage here because of the fact that they were otl seen as second class Muslims by both granadans and Maghrebis (a mudejar shouldn’t be allowed to lead prayer, their testimony is worth less in court etc) because they’ve been forced to adapt to being Muslim in a situation where knowledge of Arabic and access to Islamic authorities is severely limited, leading to a culture of translating into Aljamiado. Because the Quran, hadiths and other materials for the religious sciences were now in the exact same language that they natively spoke, that also meant they were less reliant on fuqaha to interpret them and pronounce rulings.

My third thought- it would make for an incredible story if an incredibly talented mudejar refugee in the Maghreb recognises how his understanding of Islamic culture differs from standard Maghrebi culture and instead of assimilating, vigorously defends it and becomes a religious reformer- insisting on the idea that the ummah should be able to understand the religious sciences in their own vernacular and that there is no real need for fuqaha at all, as all good Muslims should have enough training in the religious sciences that consensus can be found. He calls for a return to the first days of Islam, where the caliph ruled with the assent of the shura and consulted them- but also is inspired by his practical first hand knowledge of the Cortes of Aragon as a check on monarchical authority.

He pronounces himself the mujadid of the second Islamic millennium, come to dispense a new age, just like Safavid shahs and Mughal emperors were doing at the same time in the east, and his religious fervor and political innovations attract allies. After seizing a few major cities, he builds on his calls for the democratisation of the Islamic sciences by establishing an Arabic type printing press which he uses as an effective propaganda machine to further disseminate his reformist agenda. Also maybe as a young man he personally served in the Aragonese army during the conquest of Granada, as many mudejars did, and that gave him first hand experience of proto tercios- he’s thus able to back up his revolutionary credentials with cold hard victories, and the first step of his movement was to secure access to firearms.

By the 1600s, the Maghreb has a new caliphate- one with a self consciously mudejar identity, with a form of Iberian romance in Arabic script both the first language of the reigning dynasty and prized as a language of culture, maybe even the primary administrative language in some regions- this slowly seeps through maghrebi society such that andalusi, arabi and Berber are the three maghrebi languages. Given enough millennial fervour as we approach a thousand years of Islam, this movement could potentially seize the entire Maghreb- at which point the Iberian kingdoms should be very worried. Given the financial crises of Philip IIIs reign who knows- the Mudejar caliphate might even set its sights on a capital in Seville.

This process might take a couple generations- the first would be needed to establish the movement as a religious reform that wasn’t going away, the second to catapult that reform movement into political power, and the third to begin enforcing that over the political class of the whole area. Refugees from Spain who were otl bilingual in Arabic and romance who otl would have dropped the romance for Arabic here maintain their knowledge of romance to signal political affiliation with the rising star of the new caliphate.
I love this idea! You've put a lot of thought and effort into this, which I truly appreciate, and what you've come up with is genuinely awesome. This would make for a fire timeline, thanks so much for the response!

I love this idea! You've put a lot of thought and effort into this, which I truly appreciate, and what you've come up with is genuinely awesome. This would make for a fire timeline, thanks so much for the response!
Ahh thanks- a lot of it is ideas I had bouncing around as developments in the Maghreb for my own tl, but my pod was just too late. Especially the idea of a Cortes formed of leading sharifs and sayids, given the political importance of descendants of Muhammad in the region at the time.

Give it a 1492 pod, and the Maghreb can maybe make one final surge and take back much of Andalusia and Valencia for at least a chunk of the 17th century or even longer- say France goes Protestant in the 16th century, and when the Maghrebi army crosses the straits around 1610 the Spanish habsburgs (who had also inherited Portugal by now) flee to Naples, Austria or maybe even new Spain if they fear that by moving east they’d be cut off from their empire. Spain is as otl militarily massively overextended from the Spanish armada, the Dutch revolt, and here extensive intervention in the French wars of religion as well, meaning that the invading army moves shockingly fast.

Northern Spain is divided on whether to submit to France, who has the military might to push back the Islamic advance or maintain loyalty to the Habsburg resistance- and despite initial French successes, it soon becomes evident that the Catholic Spanish will never accept a Calvinist monarch. Portugal is busy trying to take the opportunity to break free of the habsburgs, whether or not they succeed. The Austrian habsburgs are busy dealing with an emboldened ottomans and so can’t provide any real help. The French decide that if they can’t have Spain themselves, they’d prefer a crippled buffer state on their southern border and decide they’re fine with the situation as is. They prop up a Catalan republic just like otl in the 1640s.

Maybe the habsburgs reshuffle their holdings in response to this so that Austria is now in charge of everything in Europe, and the Spanish branch only of the new world and their rump state in the northern half of Iberia.

The western caliphate from that point on might continue its military success and those borders into the modern day, it might fall victim to 19th century unequal treaties and a gradual rereconquista in that century in the vein of the collapse of the ottoman Balkans. Really more than Christian revolts, in the above situation I’d imagine the central governments primary challenge would be keeping the tribes of the desert pacified- perhaps to deter Christian revolts, there’s a resettlement scheme where slaves from the initial conquest are… perhaps assigned to tribal chiefs as a reward for irrigation projects?

Last edited:
Neat!

By the way, just for the sake of exploring all options and holding a thought experiment, I was wondering if there was any way for the Republic of Salé (see first post) to hold out and avoid incorporation into Morocco?

This is viable, it has certain problems due to ethnic disputes between Andalusians, Arabs and Berbers. But it is doable with someone competent.
My second thought- thats difficult because the rise of the Saadians and later the alaouites was as much a religious affair as a political one, given how strongly Sufi saintly auras legitimised Muslim monarchs in the early modern era and the Granadans simply don’t have those Sufi connections.
Maybe a muladi revolt?
insisting on the idea that the ummah should be able to understand the religious sciences in their own vernacular
A fan of the Averroist doctrines then
seize the entire Maghreb- at which point the Iberian kingdoms should be very worried. Given the financial crises of Philip IIIs reign who knows- the Mudejar caliphate might even set its sights on a capital in Seville.
A caliphate controlling the Maghreb would be strong. But Spain, even with its economic problems, is a beast on a different scale. If this kingdom competes with Spain, they will lose.
Give it a 1492 pod, and the Maghreb can maybe make one final surge and take back much of Andalusia and Valencia
They are too weak navally for this to occur especially with Granada basically being a vassal of Castile. You probably need a Pod in the era of the Caliphate of Cordoba. Before the Berber caliphates that radicalized the Iberian region. You have a violently reformist calife or a muladi revolution takes power (or gains enough power to be considered equal before the law).
, and when the Maghrebi army crosses the straits around 1610
To weak in both army and navy compere to spain/portugal to make a landing.

My own immediate idea has nothing to do with Granada or Iberia - it would be a Sicilian/Maltese caliphate expanding into N Africa

To weak in both army and navy compere to spain/portugal to make a landing.
At any given point otl after the 1200s I agree with you- but if you give the Maghreb a century of solid preparation, naval buildup (considering the strength of the Barbary corsairs, the naval might is actually there, it’s just a question of dominating the corsairs so they reliably act as a national navy), I think the period 1492-1610 is enough to turn it into a real threat.

By the way, just for the sake of exploring all options and holding a thought experiment, I was wondering if there was any way for the Republic of Salé
Considering their appeals for Spanish overlordship, the most likely way of preventing sale falling to Morocco is simply that the Spanish decide to give them protection- but no European power is going to want to facilitate Barbary piracy and if sale submits to the Spanish it probably just goes the way of ceuta or Oran.