A canal in the Kra peninsula of Thailand is a project that has been proposed on and off for more than four centuries. The point of this thread is to explore how one could get the French to attempt to build one during the 1890s.

Ferdinand de Lesseps had attempted to survey the area and was hindered by the Thai king in 1882 according to wikipedia. IOTL, the French fought a war with the Kingdom of Siam on a flimsy pretext in order to expand French Indochina, and signed a treaty in 1893 that guaranteed that. How plausible would it be that the French ask for, and get, the rights to build such a canal through an alternate 1893 treaty?

IOTL, the British had made clear that they would not like anything to diminish the importance of Singapore. There had been negotiations between the British and the Thais dating back to 1891 on some sort of a security treaty that would also settle the borders of British Malaya, culminating in a signed treaty in 1896, as explored here. So it is reasonable to assume that Britain would actively fight against the French on this, at least diplomatically, and that the French would be aware of this. Can the French go ahead with this and more or less antagonise the British?

I suppose that if the Panama Canal project is not considered such a fiasco, and if de Lesseps still holds some influence and can be persuaded to promote this with contacts in the French government, then maybe this could be enough to start with. Of course having the Panama Canal project not be considered a fiasco is... difficult. If the French do manage this, can they get it done? Is it reasonable to expect that they would be able to pull this off without some kind of conflict with the British? Could this have bad implications for the Fashoda crisis a few years down the line?

Is this generally something within the realm of possibility? If so, how could it go down? If the French manage to succeed here, is this a net benefit for them?

Seems like a huge amount of work for not too much benefit.

Apparently it takes 11-16 hours for a ship to traverse either the Suez or Panama Canals in modern times (no idea how long back say 120-140 years ago). Let's say similar for KRA.

I don't think this includes any time parked off the entrance point waiting for a slot. We could assume that might be less time back in the day than now due to less demand. But would think it would be a few hours, if just to get a pilot/do planning/checks/convoying etc. The Suez is apparently less time. Let's say half a day. So 12 hours.

A tramp steamer in the laste 1890s could travel at 17 kph (according to Dr Google).

Lets assume going via Singapore adds another 1500km to a ship's journey between Europe and East Asia. That's 88 hours saved.

So 25 hours wait/traverse time vs 88 hours saved - 53 hours.

That doesn't seem like a lot of time and therefore money saved compared to either S or P canals.

Apparently it takes 11-16 hours for a ship to traverse either the Suez or Panama Canals in modern times (no idea how long back say 120-140 years ago). Let's say similar for KRA.

I don't think this includes any time parked off the entrance point waiting for a slot. We could assume that might be less time back in the day than now due to less demand. But would think it would be a few hours, if just to get a pilot/do planning/checks/convoying etc. The Suez is apparently less time. Let's say half a day. So 12 hours.

A tramp steamer in the laste 1890s could travel at 17 kph (according to Dr Google).

Lets assume going via Singapore adds another 1500km to a ship's journey between Europe and East Asia. That's 88 hours saved.

That doesn't seem like a lot of time and therefore money saved compared to either S or P canals.

I thought that piracy was still a factor in the late 19th century in the Riau Lingga archipelago, though I could be wrong. If so, would it be possible for the French to take this on as a project of national pride, or, alternatively, in order to secure a route to their colonies in Indochina that would be under their control, without going through Singapore, as an assertion of power vis a vis Britain?

Wiki :
images

French MoD of the modern project :

The concern for me is that Lesseps, having been unable to create the Panama Canal, will not do better with this one which would use the same concept.

240.PNG

The concern for me is that Lesseps, having been unable to create the Panama Canal, will not do better with this one which would use the same concept.
Is it possible someone intervenes in order to promote a different way/change de Lesseps' mind? Maybe some private investor that knows of the area and has strong opinions, or maybe the French government approaches a friendly government in order to cooperate here? I'm guessing that de Lesseps will probably stick to his guns nine times out of ten as he did in the casse of the Panama Canal, though.

You could make the same argument for the Delaware Canal, which connects the Chesapeake Bay with the Delaware Bay, yet it still exists and is used although its construction was definitely easier than this atl project.

I would also say not being beholden to the Straits of Malacca is strategically beneficial in a era of Mercantilism and lack of free trade, not to mention the military benefits of avoiding British controlled sea lanes.

Last edited:
I think it’s difficult to make a purely economic case for the Kra Canal, particularly in this era. It just isn’t saving that much distance over Malacca. So I think the primary driver has to be political rather than economic.

In that light we might imagine a scenario where France conquers or establishes a protectorate over Thailand in the late nineteenth century. Maybe an alternate 1893 crisis escalates into a full war. Britain would certainly be opposed to French control of Thailand (IOTL they interceded to help ensure Thailand remained as a neutral buffer) particularly at a time of generally elevated Anglo-French tensions. If relations turn hostile I think it’s reasonable for France to decide to build the Kra Canal to circumvent British control of the Malacca route. Economic benefits would be a welcome addition, but not the primary purpose of the canal.

Last edited:

There could also be a strategic reason - see the Kiel Kanal. Avoiding the straits of Malacca could be important from a strategic point of view.

You could make the same argument for the Delaware Canal, which connects the Chesapeake Bay with the Delaware Bay, yet it still exists and is used although its construction was definitely easier than this atl project.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. The Chesapeake-Delaware Canal was constructed for the sole purpose of connecting the large cities on the Delaware to those on the upper Chesapeake Bay, for example Newcastle to Baltimore, and not as part of a longer route like the Kra Canal would be. Newcastle to Baltimore along the canal is 75 miles, that same voyage around the peninsula would be 385 miles. So the canal is over 5x faster. You can use it to sail further south to Portsmouth and Newport, sure, but that's not what it's intended for and I doubt much of the traffic on the canal ever did so (except for ships that had to stop at Baltimore first before going further south).​