AHC: Superpowered Indonesia

Somehow make Indonesia a country that can compete with the likes of Russia and U.S. by the 1950-1980. PoD can be anywhere.

This belongs in either Before 1900 section or the ASB section as there is no way short of asteroids striking all the Great Powers and missing Indonesia can Indonesia become a superpower with a POD after 1900.

Incognito

Banned
Somehow make Indonesia a country that can compete with the likes of Russia and U.S. by the 1950-1980. PoD can be anywhere.
In early 20th century UK fights some conflict with the Dutch. U.K. wins and Indonisia becomes part of the British Empire. Then during an ATL decolonization period what is OTL Pakistan, India, Burma, Malaya and Indonisia are given independance as a single nation -- a "Greater India" if you will. After several decades this country becomes a superpower.

Thus Indonesia, being a region of a superpower, in a sense can "compete with the likes of Russia and U.S." :)

This belongs in either Before 1900 section or the ASB section as there is no way short of asteroids striking all the Great Powers and missing Indonesia can Indonesia become a superpower with a POD after 1900.

This is correct. Indonesia fused as a nation existed only by 20th century.

And making it a superpower is just plain ASB. If you make it earlier than 19th century, Indonesia in OTL becomes a different nation which comes to the name Indonesia nation as superpower ASB.

Indonesia can compete against USA and Russia, and win! ...in badminton. :p

Even without all the bloodshed and economic bad decisions, I say Indonesia can at most be a regional power.

I also agree that a pre-1900 POD will have much better chance for a super-powered Indonesia (although it's more likely to be under a different name)

In early 20th century UK fights some conflict with the Dutch. U.K. wins and Indonisia becomes part of the British Empire. Then during an ATL decolonization period what is OTL Pakistan, India, Burma, Malaya and Indonisia are given independance as a single nation -- a "Greater India" if you will. After several decades this country becomes a superpower.

Thus Indonesia, being a region of a superpower, in a sense can "compete with the likes of Russia and U.S." :)

Then it would be known as "India" not "Indonesia"!

And making it a superpower is just plain ASB. If you make it earlier than 19th century, Indonesia in OTL becomes a different nation which comes to the name Indonesia nation as superpower ASB.
I can't help but point out that anybody who proposed in the 1970s or 1980s that Red China would one day be a superpower would've been subject to quips and giggles. :p

I can't help but point out that anybody who proposed in the 1970s or 1980s that Red China would one day be a superpower would've been subject to quips and giggles. :p

The OP gave a timeline and a POD to achieve for Indonesia as a superpower in 1950s-80s. This means you have a starting point to have of 1945 to achieve nuclear weapons+industrial capacity of Soviets + military/technological parity with USA/Russia before 1980. You just dont go there from independence. Too many stepping stones need to be crossed which China is still crossing right now after 30+ years from Deng in 1980. This aint fantasy land.

Incognito

Banned
The OP gave a timeline and a POD to achieve for Indonesia as a superpower in 1950s-80s. This means you have a starting point to have of 1945 to achieve nuclear weapons+industrial capacity of Soviets + military/technological parity with USA/Russia before 1980. You just dont go there from independence. Too many stepping stones need to be crossed which China is still crossing right now after 30+ years from Deng in 1980. This aint fantasy land.
Well, who said the POD has to be post 1945? Who said Indonisia has to be independant? Maybe your POD could be Danish government relocateing to Indonisia after an ATL WW 1 where whe Germans take Denmark or something.

False equivalency. By that logic I could say Madagascar has super power potential. It doesn't.

Indonesia=/=Communist China.

Indonesia was not a unified state until the Europeans came along and has been occupied for most of the time that the OP has stipulated. They don't have the technical capacity, industrial know-how or stable leadership to be anywhere near on par with the United States or the USSR by 1950 with a post 1900 POD.

The only other option is coming up with some super-figure to lead the country or something with early independence but who and what and how is hard to say.

False equivalency. By that logic I could say Madagascar has super power potential. It doesn't.

Indonesia=/=Communist China.

Indonesia was not a unified state until the Europeans came along and has been occupied for most of the time that the OP has stipulated. They don't have the technical capacity, industrial know-how or stable leadership to be anywhere near on par with the United States or the USSR by 1950 with a post 1900 POD.

The only other option is coming up with some super-figure to lead the country or something with early independence but who and what and how is hard to say.
It's true Indonesia could never compete with the likes of Russia or the U.S., but a Brazilian phenomenon, as someone else proposed, sounds faintly plausible.

It's true Indonesia could never compete with the likes of Russia or the U.S., but a Brazilian phenomenon, as someone else proposed, sounds faintly plausible.

Not faintly. Plainly. Assuming PoD is before Japanese occupation. Otherwise, it's kinda tricky indeed.

I was a bit confused on where it would go. I had meant that the PoD could be anywhere in history, but the time period Indonesia (or a country with another name, the center just needs to be somewhere in present day Indonesia) had to be a superpower during was after 1900, so I assumed it would have been allowed here.