AHC: Save Egypt's Revolution

Egypt would likely have been something of a mess no matter what the outcome of the 2011 uprising. Still, it wasn't fated to end as ignominiously as it did. Morsi's election wasn't inevitable, nor was his ouster. (For that matter, I'd be remiss not to point out that the final chapter on the post-Mubarak period hasn't been written yet — it's very possible there will be another uprising or a transition back towards a more democratic system in the next few years.)

There are several PoD's. One would be for the Mubarak's to be a little more accommodating of US, European, and Egyptian diplomats' efforts to negotiate a phased transition. That would have avoided the constitutional vacuum that left the army fully in charge, which prolonged the transition and allowed the military to grow even more powerful than it was under Mubarak (who, by the end, was more a civilian dictator than anything else.)

The POD I'd like to focus on though was the Egyptian presidential election in 2012. Morsi only narrowly prevailed over Ahmed Shafik, and even in the first round, the top-four candidates — Morsi, Shafik, Hamdeen Sabbahi, and Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh — were separated by fairly small margins.

Of these, a Shafik victory might have represented a softer Sisi presidency. Absent the June 30 (2013) uprising, he'd have been unable to crackdown on the MB like Sisi has, however, and against him, the revolutionary alliance of Islamists and secular activists would have endured in opposition. Hamdeen Sabbahi was a big supporter of the June 30 protests and has allied himself relatively closely with the military establishment, so his policies may have ultimately been similar despite having more support from the revolutionaries.

The most promising option is probably an Aboul Fotouh victory. Aboul Fotouh, or AMAF as he was sometimes called, was arguably the most small-d democratic of the options. OTL, he supported Mubarak's ouster, supported protests against Morsi, but opposed the coup. As a moderate Islamist, he had the best potential to keep the revolutionary camps united. As in OTL, the MB-dominated parliament is likely dismissed by the courts, and AMAF may opt to appoint his own constitutional convention delegates representing a broader spectrum than the MB-dominated body that Morsi used to push through a document in late 2012.

The best PoD for an AMAF victory would be if the initial alliance between him and Sabbahi hadn't broken down. In that case, Sabbahi would have run as his VP, and AMAF would have had strong odds of emerging as one of the contenders in the runoff. Against either Shafik or Morsi he would have been favored.

As president, AMAF would have been best-placed to mediate between different sides and put in place a consensus constitution similar to Tunisia's. And he'd have been significantly less threatening to Egypt's moderate majority. OTOH, he'd lack a strong political base. Liberals are a minority faction in Egypt, and he'd face a determined opposition of both the MB (who hated him for leaving the movement) and the Deep State establishment.

As a result, I imagine AMAF governing uneasily, with weak control over parliament, a still powerful army, and significant discontent. But it seems unlikely to me he'd bring about as much opposition as Morsi managed, and he'd likely have treaded far more carefully than Morsi did. Morsi and the MB went into deep conflict with the establishment and the army by the end of his term, which sealed his fate.

AMAF may therefore have succeeded in at least holding onto office and allowing electoral norms and civil liberties to consolidate. He may have left Egypt a significantly more liberal constitution than either the MB-written 2012 document or the new army-backed 2013 one. This may have been the case even if his tenure was chaotic and he ultimately went on to lose his bid for another term.

Last edited:
The biggest obstacle to the revolution was never the Muslim Brotherhood, Mubarak, or other factors usually cited in Western analyses.

The elephant in the room that needs to be shooed out before a real revolution can happen in Egypt is the Egyptian Army. They have control of somewhere between 15 and 40% of the Egyptian economy ranging from food production to local markets and other sectors.

As long as the Egyptian military has that kind of stranglehold over the economic life of Egypt their political life doesn't have much in the way of prospects for improvement. Even the most democratic government possible, absent the removal of Egyptian military influence, would be forced to bend over backwards to the Army's demands before any other policy considerations could be put on the table.

The biggest obstacle to the revolution was never the Muslim Brotherhood, Mubarak, or other factors usually cited in Western analyses.

The elephant in the room that needs to be shooed out before a real revolution can happen in Egypt is the Egyptian Army. They have control of somewhere between 15 and 40% of the Egyptian economy ranging from food production to local markets and other sectors.

As long as the Egyptian military has that kind of stranglehold over the economic life of Egypt their political life doesn't have much in the way of prospects for improvement. Even the most democratic government possible, absent the removal of Egyptian military influence, would be forced to bend over backwards to the Army's demands before any other policy considerations could be put on the table.
Yep. That was Sadat's deal with them in exchange for allowing him to take power and move away from Nasserism. Really, I feel that IMF-mandated reforms under Sisi in the future or an ATL Shafik presidency are the only ways for discontent against the army to break into privatization.

I don't disagree with these analyses, but there are degrees of difference. A hybrid civilian-military regime (democratically-elected president and parliament but a powerful army exercising a veto over key security policies) is different from an out-and-out military dictatorship. The former protects civil liberties better, allows an independent civil society to develop, and offers the possibility of gradual reform and a steady reduction in the power of the military. Modern-day Latin America is an example of how this can work.

Certainly in Egypt, for all of Morsi's authoritarian moves, Sisi's regime is substantially more autocratic. It may even be more autocratic than Mubarak's. That wasn't preordained.

I don't disagree with these analyses, but there are degrees of difference. A hybrid civilian-military regime (democratically-elected president and parliament but a powerful army exercising a veto over key security policies) is different from an out-and-out military dictatorship. The former protects civil liberties better, allows an independent civil society to develop, and offers the possibility of gradual reform and a steady reduction in the power of the military. Modern-day Latin America is an example of how this can work.

Latin America is a better example of how that does not work seeing as every case of military rule bankrupted the nations in question (see Argentina, Brazil, Chile for examples) and there was very little, if anything, in the way of civil society protections like you claim.

Turkey is probably the ONLY case where that worked but Turkey doesn't have the situation in Egypt where the Army also controls just under half of the economy.

Certainly in Egypt, for all of Morsi's authoritarian moves, Sisi's regime is substantially more autocratic. It may even be more autocratic than Mubarak's. That wasn't preordained.

I think it is safe to say Sisi's autocracy was as predictable as the rising and setting of the sun. The Egyptian military, from the days of the Free Officers' Corps, has NEVER been a bastion of democracy and secularism the way Attaturk's Turkish military became thanks largely to Attaturk. Even under Nasserism there was a profound hostility towards democratic methods that only solidified under Sadat and Mubarak.

I think Plumber's solution of IMF-mandated privatization is the best way to get to a successful revolution since odds are it would make life worse for average Egyptians AND finally break the military's stranglehold over the economy. Do that and you'll get the promise of Tahrir fulfilled and not a moment sooner.

Or you could always get a successful trade union campaign to push the issue but that's tricky, takes time, and would probably face serious repression if they started horning in on military operations.

Latin America is a better example of how that does not work seeing as every case of military rule bankrupted the nations in question (see Argentina, Brazil, Chile for examples) and there was very little, if anything, in the way of civil society protections like you claim.

No, my point was that Latin American states later democratized even with their militaries retaining major privileges and influence for quite some time. Nevertheless, the hybrid civilian-military systems managed to gradually reform and there is an ongoing process whereby the military has been whittled back. It's a similar story in Indonesia.

Yes, Sisi's rise was predictable, but I don't feel it was inevitable. And I continue to think that a more democratic (if not fully democratic) Egypt was possible following Mubarak's ouster, one that might have gradually started clawing back privileges from the army.