AHC: Ritualized "Flower Wars" Crusades

Deleted member 114175

Is it possible that the Crusades could evolve into a ritualized "Aztec Flower Wars", where Christian and Islamic rulers agree to a set-piece battle somewhere near Jerusalem? Officially, it's another battle for the holy land, but de facto it's a propaganda benefit for both sides, a way to train their knights, and to dispose of lower nobles they want to get rid of. They might become small-scale wars, focused on individual prowess of the warriors fighting in them as a way to gain renown.

Too far apart and Jerusalem too religiously significant for one side not to try and take after a victory.

This is a really cool and creative idea, but unfortunately I think Jerusalem is a bit too far. You wouldn't bring your boys all the way from Paris to Palestine just to participate in a ritual conflict. And the stakes are much too high.

People also overestimate, in my opinion, how much the Flower Wars really were just a ritual conflict. In the sense of being not for territorial gain, sure, they were - but they weren't anywhere near as bilateral as claimed. It was in most cases an unusual and spectacular means of gathering tribute for the local hegemon, which of course was Tenochtitlan.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the Crusades could evolve into a ritualized "Aztec Flower Wars", where Christian and Islamic rulers agree to a set-piece battle somewhere near Jerusalem? Officially, it's another battle for the holy land, but de facto it's a propaganda benefit for both sides, a way to train their knights, and to dispose of lower nobles they want to get rid of. They might become small-scale wars, focused on individual prowess of the warriors fighting in them as a way to gain renown.
Nah...too much money and ego on play

Flower wars were a phenomenon based on Aztec/Mesoamerican pagan beliefs that the gods would essentially doom them if they didn't go on massive slaver expeditions against their neighbors. Literally the Aztecs would take this to another level, sometimes even coercing cities to revolt just so they could capture more hardy people and sacrifice them.

I mean something similar like that could happen if some radical christian/sufi sect took control of one side that explicitly said they could sacrifice to please "allah or god." I give the idea points for being relatively original, but it's somewhat anachronistic and stoopid.

What if instead of a full on war, just have them joust? Have it be one big tourney. And as time goes on, it evolves into a fighting tournament where practitioners of all styles get involved.

This is a really cool and creative idea, but unfortunately I think Jerusalem is a bit too far. You wouldn't bring your boys all the way from Paris to Palestine just to participate in a ritual conflict. And the stakes are much too high.

Just do it in Sicily