AHC/Question on Heydrich not being assassinated

Hi all,

First real post to ask a question... I'm toying with doing a time travel/sci-fi novel set in Prague involving going through various periods and events in the city's history (my living here has been inspirational)... very, very nascent at this point, but I was thinking of having a point where the main character accidentally screws up the assassination of Heydrich, enabling him to survive or escape uninjured all together.

IIRC, Heydrich was on his way to receive or discuss receiving a new job: overseeing the occupation of France, or at least being attached to it on some level. I think it would be safe to say the French Resistance wouldn't do to well in such a scenario. So, here are my questions, which hints at the alt history that I'm toying with:

1) Would Heydrich be successful in destroying the French Resistance, and keeping it destroyed?

2) How badly would the negation of the French Resistance affect D-Day? I freely admit here that the answer is probably "Not much," but I feel like I've heard somewhere the Resistance did play some role that helped...

3) If D-Day failed, or turned into a slow bloody battle of attrition, I assume we see Ike out of a job. How about Churchill and FDR (and with him, Truman as VP)?

4) If D-Day fails or is turned into a slow battle of attrition, could we see the Soviets getting much further west than in OTL, or would we simply pour more effort into the landings in southern France and Italy?

5) If the Soviets control most or all of Europe by war's end, would we see a Soviet victory in the Cold War, or simply a communist-dominant world? I feel like the system would eventually collapse, unless all these changes butterfly away the Brezhnev stagnation and other problems...

6) In such a world, would the United States be a struggling isolationist nation, or holding its own as a lone beacon?

I admit it borders on ASB, but I plead sci-fi novel and it being all set back right in the end... would appreciate thoughts!

I would have through the biggest difference would be that post war France has the power to be more nasty back to Germany. (at least more so than eastern Europe)

(I gees this means I don't think that it will change much in the actual war)

JSB