AHC: Prevent Stalin's rise to power while keeping him alive

• Thread starter Deleted member 177304
  • Start date

Deleted member 177304

It seems to me that every ATL that imagines a Soviet Union without Stalin always relies on him dying before the post-Lenin power struggle, as if Stalin's reign was somehow predestined and the only way to prevent it is to kill him off before he can become a contender for leadership. Given our shared hobby I'm sure we all know better than that, hence why I'm issuing this challenge; Prevent Iosif Vissarionovich from becoming leader of the USSR without killing him.

It's easy. Publish Lenin's Letter to the Congress. Stalin himself said that he would retire from all his posts in this case.

So if Bolshevik faction building were public before major agenda’d but bound debates you could get this as orators and publishers out machine mister telephone and letter.

someone else signs the execution orders in 34

His rise wasn't inevitable. He owed his rise to prominence due to important administrative figures such as Sverdlov dying during the civil war and the perceived necessity of the war granting him an ever greater accumulation of power just as Lenin was losing his health. Lenin being in a better healthier position could have tapered Stalin's accumulation of power, similarly Sverdlov not dying. Stalin would have remained an important figure but probably not have accumulated the power he had.

Concerned Brazilian

Gone Fishin'
Have Lenin remain alive for longer. It's as simple. I've thought of making a TL where he lives until the year 1944 (as long as Stalin did)

Have Lenin remain alive for longer. It's as simple. I've thought of making a TL where he lives until the year 1944 (as long as Stalin did)

Stalin lived until 1953. But I don't think that Lenin manage to survive to 1944. Not impossible but probably bit unlikely. But even if Lenin lives until 1930 would be enough prevent Stalin rising to power without killing him.

Replacing Robespierre with Marat does what? The committee of public safety was demanded by men in salons and sans culottes in meeting halls.

Well, since there's no PoD specofoes, he becomes more devout in his youth and stays in the seminary. He probably ends up as a minor Orthodox priest somewhere in Georgia, though he was apparently good at poetry according to Wikipedia. Maybe he ends up as a famous Gerogian religious poet. Or perhaps just prevent the October Revolution. He can't lead the USSR without the USSR. Really, any number of PoDs could prevent the formation of the USSR as we know it or prevent Stalin specifically from becoming involved in (left-wing) politics.