AHC: President Karl Rove

It would be interesting to see a President who's a complete dick and doesn't try to hide it at all. I could see something like this happening if the country gets even more polarized than it is OTL, both candidates run dirty, sneering campaigns, and Rove wins by a hair. How to get to that point- I do not know. A Gore victory in 2000 followed by a deep recession?

But how does that get Karl Rove into the Oval Office and the behind the President's desk? A person who is a complete prick and doesn't try to hide it isn't going to be elected President.

Realpolitik

Banned
But how does that get Karl Rove into the Oval Office and the behind the President's desk? A person who is a complete prick and doesn't try to hide it isn't going to be elected President.

17mrd6megbqx6jpg.jpg

As I said, I honestly don't know.

Still, whatever horrors would be inflicted on the world to get him to the Oval Office(and whatever ones would occur at his hand) it would all be worth it to see him chew out the White House press pool just once.

Realpolitik

Banned
Honestly, did Rove actually believe in anything? Or was he simply a slick political operator and JUST that? What policies would he come up with?

Honestly, did Rove actually believe in anything? Or was he simply a slick political operator and JUST that? What policies would he come up with?

He believed in himself. He believed in winning. He believed in getting paid. I think that he's vaguely on the right, but doesn't care much about the actual policies as long as he stops Democrats from winning elections.

So he'd probably appoint a bunch of fellow hacks who would go in fifty directions while still trying to shore up support for reelection and make his coattails as long as possible.

Realpolitik

Banned
He believed in himself. He believed in winning. He believed in getting paid. I think that he's vaguely on the right, but doesn't care much about the actual policies as long as he stops Democrats from winning elections.

So he'd probably appoint a bunch of fellow hacks who would go in fifty directions while still trying to shore up support for reelection and make his coattails as long as possible.

He proposed murdering Todd Akin for the "legitimate rape" comment. He's also an agnostic with no true affinity for the Christian right. So, yeah, definitely a lot of focus on image and PR, and he'll probably do what is popular and keeps him going.

I guess that's the biggest problem with Rove. He's a political operator at heart, not a POLITICIAN. Nothing at all behind the surface.

He proposed murdering Todd Akin for the "legitimate rape" comment. He's also an agnostic with no true affinity for the Christian right. So, yeah, definitely a lot of focus on image and PR, and he'll probably do what is popular and keeps him going.

I guess that's the biggest problem with Rove. He's a political operator at heart, not a POLITICIAN. Nothing at all behind the surface.

As somebody who knows a lot of operators and has played the game himself, I can say that operators do have quite a lot under the surface, but they never allow it to come up. It can be pretty off the wall-in the campaign I worked on this November, our manager was an anarchist, our consultant was a libertarian, and the comms director(me) was a reactionary. We all worked to elect a moderate Republican.