AHC: President Fred Karger in 2012

In 2012, Fred Karger ran for president on the Republican ticket, becoming the first openly gay candidate running on a major party. He wasn't present at the debates, and he ended his campaign after mediocre performance in primaries. How can we make it so that he wins the Republican nomination, and then the Presidency? What would a Karger presidency look like?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Moving to ASB in 3...2...1...

Actually, I would agree with you except for one thing. Fred Karger DID run for the GOP Presidential nomination. It literally happen IOTL.

It is IMO impossible to get the end condition for AHC as set out by the OP. But since the candidacy actually happened, it is anything but an ASB subject.

Perhaps have him actually win elected office and try to hide his homosexuality akin to doing a Michael Huffington - as I really can't see an openly gay candidate (even a Senator or Governor) winning the nomination of the modern GOP. To change that you'd have to go back decades and ensure the GOP becomes socially liberal (perhaps have Jimmy Carter meet the religious right's expectations and have them support him and the Democrats from then on?) though without MAJOR butterflies this is pretty much a solid ASK IMHO.

I don't think it would be quite ASB if he had prior elected experience, but 2012 is still an ASB year for an openly gay Republican. 2016 doesn't seem too unrealistic assuming Karger, with a lengthy history as a Senator or Governor, is the candidate of the party establishment against the Donald.

Him winning the nomination and the Presidency IS ASB.
ASB means that magic or divine intervention was used. The odds of Fred Karger being elected President are so low you need scientific notation to write them down, but he ran for President at the time and met all the legal requirements. So therefore it doesn't require divine intervention for him to win.