Asian Jumbo

Monthly Donor
I had a Politics lecturer who described it as all happening in a “post-war euphoric haze” which always felt like too friendly a term to use to describe such damage frankly

Cultural vandalism is what it was, and a crime against the human spirit. Human scale streets and buildings bulldozed and replaced by brutalist concrete monstrosities and the overwhelming domination of the car over people.

Opps, I seam to have climbed onto a soap box.

Last edited:
Excellent updates! The Italians have been given a kicking and one of the German's premier night bomber commands is in for a rough night. The bomb that's mentioned in the Taranto attack, is that a real weapon? I'd never heard of it before if it is!

No the 'Longbow' is a product of my imagination for TTL. I was trying to create a bomb that had more explosive power than most OTL bombs used by the FAA. So a 1500lb cruiser killer seemed reasonable as it could be carried by TBR aircraft like the Swordfish of OTL on the torpedo rack or as ITTL by the monoplane Albacore TB aircraft . I hope you find the premise logical and reasonable for the FAA within the PAM. Ordinance development for the RAF will be covered in a post soon.

Glyndwr01

Banned
So basically a torpedo body with the guts removed and replaced with extra explosives and metal to give armour piercing ability?
Make it a mini Disney?
The Disney bomb, also known as the Disney Swish,[4] officially the 4500 lb Concrete Piercing/Rocket Assisted bomb was a rocket-assisted bunker buster bomb developed during the Second World War by the British Royal Navy to penetrate hardened concrete targets, such as submarine pens, which could resist conventional free-fall bombs.
Disney_bomb.png

From the explanation in the story they're more akin to a mine that would go off just under water alongside a ship and damage it that way. So I see them as being more akin to a smaller Cookie.

1280px-RAF_Bomber_Command_HU95286.jpg

From the explanation in the story they're more akin to a mine that would go off just under water alongside a ship and damage it that way. So I see them as being more akin to a smaller Cookie.

1280px-RAF_Bomber_Command_HU95286.jpg
It read more to me like they are designed for direct hits, being specially hardened to allow for armour penetration. In the described attack they would have a second chance- the shallow harbour would allow a near miss to create a mining effect on the hull, potentially breaking the keel.

ITTL the 1500 lb aerial mine being dropped by the RAF Wellingtons is analogous to a small 'Cookie', where as in OTL there is no strait equivalent of the 'Longbow'. It is basically a long GP bomb designed to fit on Torpedo shackles and has a hardened nose section to give it some minor AP potential and to allow it to bury itself in dock yard infrastructure (like a mini tallboy) to enhance cratering.

Driftless

Donor
Regarding the origin of skip bombing: I have this mental image of some ordnance engineer on a picnic with his family, standing by the side of a quiet bay, just showing his kids how to skip stones. Then, he has an "aha" moment.

ITTL the Fairy Albacore has similar performance to the Nackajima BN-5 and looks like a cross between an OTL Battle and a Fulmar but with a radial engine.

Unfortunately no downloadable story only version exists yet. That was the major casualty of my Tea incident and I have not yet rebuilt it.

Regarding the origin of skip bombing: I have this mental image of some ordnance engineer on a picnic with his family, standing by the side of a quiet bay, just showing his kids how to skip stones. Then, he has an "aha" moment.
Or just stick with Barnes Wallis skipping marbles over his garden pond?

Driftless

Donor
Or just stick with Barnes Wallis skipping marbles over his garden pond?

I'm actually surprised the idea of skipping a weapon wasn't thought of in the early 30's and put into trial. It's almost intuitive - it shouldn't have required a Barnes-Wallis level of genius. You could approach your target with some speed (greater than a torpedo plane) before releasing the bomb/mine. The greater speed also should increase the chance of hitting the target and of survival by the plane and crew.

Last edited: