AHC: Naval Battle on Lake Tahoe

With a POD after 1815, have a naval engagement between at least two ships with deck mounted guns (not just people on the decks holding small arms) on Lake Tahoe.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
Why would there be? One you'd have to build said ships at Lake Tahoe and two, why bother when any strategic value can be gained by fighting on land?

Why would there be? One you'd have to build said ships at Lake Tahoe and two, why bother when any strategic value can be gained by fighting on land?

I suspect that the most analogous situation would be Lake Champlain, which saw several naval battles during two wars, or the nearby Lake George, which is a sixth of the size of Lake Tahoe, but was the home of purpose-built warships during the French and Indian War.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I suspect that the most analogous situation would be Lake Champlain, which saw several naval battles during two wars, or the nearby Lake George, which is a sixth of the size of Lake Tahoe, but was the home of purpose-built warships during the French and Indian War.

The only time I could see this as an option would be during the Mexican-American War, but I don't I still don't see the point of building purpose built warships there when you could simply put the time an resources into simply conquering the land around it. Certainly the Mexicans didn't have the resources nor the infrastructure there to do so so why would the Americans bother?

After the Mexican-American War the lake is very firmly in American hands.

The reason why you had warships on Lake Champlain was that the area was right on the border between French and British colonial spheres (and later between the Americans and British). However, after the War of 1812, the area gradually lost military relevance.

Someone besides Nicholas Trist is sent to negotiate the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, US gets additional territory, including Baja California, Baja is settled primarily by those from Confederate States, when the Civil War starts they form several units and attempt to march North on Sacramento, they are driven off by forces loyal to the Union, but are cut off from Baja and retreat into the mountains near lake Tahoe, several hundred strong. They quickly fort up and build improvised fortifications strong enough an attack without artillery support would be bloody on the Western shore. As part of a scheme to raid Carson City for supplies they use some extra timber build a gunboat armed with a six pounder and a couple swivel guns they managed to drag with them. The attack is a failure and they withdraw to their base on the Western Shore. To dig out the raiders the governor of Nevada has a larger vessel constructed armed with 4 12 pounder mountain howitzers, a 12 pound Napoleon and a 24 pound boat howitzer dragged from San Francisco. The larger Union vessel sails to the Confederate base near Emerald Bay and meets the Confederate vessel in combat, its explosive shells setting it ablaze, then turning the guns on the Confederate base and pounding it into submission

Best I got, unlikely but not too implausible I would hope