AHC: Muslim Birmingham

SinghKing

Banned
Based on the recent gaffe by Steven Emerson during a Fox News Interview, in which he described Birmingham (in the UK, not in Alabama) as a "Muslim-only city" where non-Muslims "don't go" during a Fox News interview. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a plausible ATL in which Birmingham either has a Muslim majority or a Muslim plurality by the present day, and in which Emerson's description of the city could be deemed accurate- preferably with as late a POD as possible. Up for it?

The UK undergoes some kind of major economic depression. Birmingham turns into a giant Detroit. Once all the white flight is over, Birmingham is a poor, Muslim-majority city known for its high crime rate.

SinghKing

Banned
The UK undergoes some kind of major economic depression. Birmingham turns into a giant Detroit. Once all the white flight is over, Birmingham is a poor, Muslim-majority city known for its high crime rate.

Er- didn't this already happen IOTL, when the city's economy (based on the motor industry) collapsed back in the late '70s? Except that IOTL, the Birmingham City Council embarked on a policy of diversifying the city's economy to lessen its dependence on the declining manufacturing industry, and the British Government actually made an effort to regenerate the city in the aftermath. So, it'd be pretty easy to take Birmingham down the Detroit path in an ATL...

... and the British Government actually made an effort to regenerate the city in the aftermath.
Well only fair when it was the government that crippled the city in the first place with such genius ideas as the Distribution of Industry Act 1945, the West Midlands Plan that included intentionally reducing the city's population by a hundred thousand people or more, restrictions on the city expanding forcing land prices up, the Control of Office Employment Act 1965 which as a reaction to the booming local service sector and merchant banking sector - yeah, that surprised me as well - effectively blocked new office developments for the next couple of decades creating a limit and forcing rents up etc. Things were fine for 1950s and 60s with local wages and GDP being as high or higher than most other areas of the country but it meant the city was increasingly relied on a single industry, the motor industry, with a lot of the firms being merged so that when, for a number of reasons, the industry crashed the effects were much worse.

If you want to make things even worse for the city then simply have the various governments continue their kick of industrial planning and decide that Birmingham is still too big and more needs to be done to force firms and people to move to other regions of the country. See if you can find some other ways of kneecapping them as well. Then when the bottom drops out of the motor industry with an even bigger local crash you could potentially see business being less prepared to invest in projects like Brindleyplace and the city council being unable to fund projects such as the National Exhibition Centre, International Convention Centre or the National Indoor Arena and things start to spiral down from there.

Even if Birmingham and the surrounding Metropolitan area was as bad as Detroit is today I doubt it would be mostly Muslim. Muslims consist of 23% of Birmingham's City population and 8% of the Greater Birmingham population.

I say this because the reason why Migrants (including Indian Muslims) came to the region was to look for employment, if there are not that many jobs in the region then they are simply not going to come. Those that can leave (nearly all of them, especially Muslims who nearly all of which have only a recent history in the area) will as soon as they could.

Sycamore

Banned
Bumping this, with a link to a relevant recent news story- apparently, the world's oldest surviving copy of the Quran has been discovered in Birmingham, of all places, taking back to somewhere between 568 and 645CE- within only a few years of the actual founding of Islam. The local Muslim community has already expressed its delight at the discovery in their city- "When I saw these pages I was very moved. There were tears of joy and emotion in my eyes. And I'm sure people from all over the UK will come to Birmingham to have a glimpse of these pages," said Muhammad Afzal, chairman of Birmingham Central Mosque. The University of Birmingham, which has apparently possessed the manuscript without recognizing its significance since the 1920s, has agreed that it will now be put on public display. So, WI this manuscript, the oldest copy of the Quran in existence, is identified as such and put on display earlier? Could you potentially see Muslims conducting a pilgrimage of sorts to Birmingham? Might this fulfil the OP's challenge?

Bumping this, with a link to a relevant recent news story- apparently, the world's oldest surviving copy of the Quran has been discovered in Birmingham, of all places, taking back to somewhere between 568 and 645CE- within only a few years of the actual founding of Islam...

That's actually really interesting, though I note that Birmingham's claim to fame here is basically "We had this thing but didn't look at it too closely for a century", whereas another university might have spotted it sooner [they're my Alma mater, I'm allowed to mock]. Of course accurate dating may only be possible with the development of accurate Carbon Dating, so that limits how early it can be rediscovered. How it came to be in Birmingham is also pretty interesting:

article said:
The manuscript is part of the Mingana Collection of more than 3,000 Middle Eastern documents gathered in the 1920s by Alphonse Mingana, a Chaldean priest born near Mosul in modern-day Iraq.
He was sponsored to take collecting trips to the Middle East by Edward Cadbury, who was part of the chocolate-making dynasty.

Unfortunately contemporary Cadbury (the firm, owned by Kraft, not the dynasty, the two now being separate) seem more intent on destroying heritage than preserving it. Of course this probably raises the Elgin Marbles question - its only a matter of time before someone calls for a repatriation. Normally I'd fall down on the soft liberal side of such matters - "collecting trips to the Middle East" don't sound like the most culturally or historically sensitive of endeavors - but recent years haven't been kind to antiquities in that part of the world.

As for the OP - to bring this reply ultimately back on topic - I don't think its possible with any kind of POD post- "Anglo Saxon conversion after Tours", outside of paranoid far-right fantasies. Yes there's higher immigration rates, or "white flight up to eleven", but I think both of those overestimate how "Muslim"* this city is to begin with.

* - I use inverted commas here because this is another problem with these kind of questions - the lumping together of people from across three or more continents under a single umbrella term, and then not applying the same labels consistently for e.g. "Christian". Its muddling a homogenous ethnic group where one doesn't exist. You've got Bengalis who came over in the 1950s and 60s right through to Somalians and now Syrians, etc.

Add to this those people for whom "Muslim" is a nominal cultural label, who treat faith the way a non-religious white person might treat their being CofE, and who have no interest in the kind of self-segregation as stoked up in Fox News fears. Yeah you could, at a push, get a majority "Muslim" Birmingham, but it wouldn't be homogenous, it wouldn't be a monolithic neo-caliphate, and there'd almost by definition be a lot of intermarriage.

Certain parts of the city do meet the plurality/majority criteria, but I'd argue that that's as much an artifact of urban planning and immigration patterns. This city isn't majority Irish today because parts of it were in the early 1900s - that population has moved on and up and generally assimilated. The same is already happening for 2nd/3rd generation British Asians, as a walk down the poshest streets in Harborne will tell you. As for the "no go zone" criteria - in my experience that's far more likely to happen the other way around.

Apologies for the long-winded reply, it kind of snowballed :)

[Sources: Live here, elections stuff].

But in addition to "white flight", you'd also need "black flight" and "brown flight" (i.e. Hindus and Sikhs) for this challenge to work.

But in addition to "white flight", you'd also need "black flight" and "brown flight" (i.e. Hindus and Sikhs) for this challenge to work.

There is a certain amount of evidence for this from the Birmingham electoral register anyway, although the EU accession actually reversed white flight in some areas. There is some unhealthy clustering in parts of the city.