AHC: More different kinds of democratic governments by 1900?

I found this on a different thread.
Even if an equivalent to ‘liberalism’ eventually develops in the future of Planetos, that doesn’t mean it has to look exactly like our liberalism, with ballots and elections and political parties and all the rest. For example, I could imagine that, instead of Democracy, Demarchy becomes the favored form of government for ’liberal’ countries in the world of ASoIaF; meaning that important official positions within the government bureaucracy are determined by lot, instead of through elections (similar to how jury members for criminal trials are selected in some countries like the US).

In such a system political parties in the way we understand them wouldn’t really be necessary; there might not even be a left-right spectrum in the way we know it. Such a system could also be combined with a constitutional monarch, where the monarch is the head of state, who can appoint his own government as he sees fit, but where all laws the government wants to pass must first be approved by a people’s council whose members are selected by lot from among the population every year or so.

Tbh, I wish there were more pre-1900 TLs in general that played with these kinds of different forms of government, but in the end they all fall back on the classical model of representative parliamentary democracy with parties and political machines and coalitions etc.
It made me wonder, what if there were more democracies that were not representative parliamentary democracies, like Rufus decribes?

Yeah, I was actually thinking about the Italian city states with their unique election processes and quirky government systems when I made the post quoted in the OP. I always thought it was a shame that, despite the historic importance of the Italian city states as birthplace of the Renaissance, they never served as an inspiration for new forms of governance in the way ancient Athenian democracy or Britain’s Westminster system did.

The Catholic Church is a meritocracy and arguably a democracy of sorts.

Any male (but not women unfortunately :( ) good enough at school can become a priest. And if you’re both competent and a centrist, you can move up the hierarchy.

Maybe Confucius envisioned a similar system.

Last edited:
There’s Direct Democracy, which AFAIK is only really used by Switzerland
More specifically, in cantons like Glarus:

csm_img_xlarge-1_73_6ea46712f0.jpg

csm_img_xlarge-1_73_6ea46712f0.jpg

More specifically, in cantons like Glarus:

This is great for something popular, or especially for giving public acknowledgement to someone who’s done a good job.

But if it’s a split election, no, I don’t think it’s so hot. Or if it’s something which a minority don’t feel their can vote for out of conscience, again, not so cool.

Another peculiarity of Switzerland is its federal council of seven members, which serves the role of head of state. The vast majority of democracies have chosen to have a single head of state, but this was not necessarily inevitable. The Directoire in France had five members and the US considered having a council before deciding to have a single president.

Another peculiarity of Switzerland is its federal council of seven members, which serves the role of head of state. The vast majority of democracies have chosen to have a single head of state, but this was not necessarily inevitable. The Directoire in France had five members and the US considered having a council before deciding to have a single president.
And San Marino has something vaguely resembling the republican Roman model in which there are two heads of state, called Captains Regent by the sammarinesi and consuls by the Romans.

There were the Kongsi Republics of Borneo, which were sovereign mining companies that operated via direct democracy. Interestingly, they appear to have formed independently of European political influence.

Maybe if the British create noble titles in the colonies, then the American Revolution happens basically as OTL, with the American nobility leading the Revolution, the USA could become some kind of aristocratic republic which eventually comes to be taken as the model of democratic governance.

You have the old peasant or thing republics, in which civic duty and militia defence is the duty of all free men and law-sayers are elected to interpret the law. Gotland could easily survive as such a state.

You have the old peasant or thing republics, in which civic duty and militia defence is the duty of all free men and law-sayers are elected to interpret the law. Gotland could easily survive as such a state.
In that vein, Malta under the Knights was arguably a republic, no?

There were the Kongsi Republics of Borneo, which were sovereign mining companies that operated via direct democracy. Interestingly, they appear to have formed independently of European political influence.
This sounds like what I’m talking about with the Catholic Church or Confucius’ ideas — something which is both a meritocracy and a hierarchy.

Now, human beings being human, maybe these mining companies favored certain families or people from certain regions. That wouldn’t surprise me. But on the other hand, maybe not so much.

Last edited:
Maybe if the British create noble titles in the colonies, then the American Revolution happens basically as OTL, with the American nobility leading the Revolution, the USA could become some kind of aristocratic republic which eventually comes to be taken as the model of democratic governance.
Great Britain was itself an aristocratic republic for the years of the Commonwealth

If the Anarcho-Syndicalism movement got popular, maybe thanks to a victory of that faction in the Spanish Civil War, you could end with unions/guilds replacing parties in a (probably?) democratic system of sorts.

North American Natives usually had different and varied government systems in the form of federations (The Cree, Iroquois, Tecumseh, etc.) with their own quirks and issues. But sadly, they didn't survive the different colonization attempts made in the region.

The thirteen states experimented with varied republican models in their early constitutions after 1776. Perhaps they endure?